Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Imperfections in Gt2, Gt3, Gt3rs engine lids

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021 | 09:54 PM
Fdude
Intermediate

Default Imperfections in Gt2, Gt3, Gt3rs engine lids

I was curious if anyone has any imperfections in their engine lid. I know the engine lid isn't metal and I am wondering if anyone has seen them before.
Old 01-07-2021 | 10:00 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Top or bottom of engine lid? What sort of imperfections? Paint related or the actual part itself?
Old 01-07-2021 | 10:03 PM
Fdude
Intermediate

Top of the engine lid. The actual part itself not the paint. They look like small dents. I've seen it on two cars I checked out before I bought mine and was wondering if this was just an anomaly. I have an 08 gt2.

-JC

Last edited by Fdude; 01-07-2021 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2021 | 10:16 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Can’t say I’ve noticed them on the 997 GT3’s I’ve been around. I would recommend posting a pic if you’re able to. That way other members can look at their GT2/3’s and compare.
Old 01-08-2021 | 09:28 PM
Fdude
Intermediate

These are some pics i took on a car from a dealership i looked at some time ago but again its black so they are really tough to see.

Old 01-08-2021 | 10:12 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

At first glance maybe some one used a cup decklid and filled the holes and the filler shrunk, but that looks too close to the edge. Not sure whats going on there but not common at all.

Originally Posted by Fdude
These are some pics i took on a car from a dealership i looked at some time ago but again its black so they are really tough to see.

Last edited by FLT6SPD; 01-08-2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2021 | 10:20 PM
Fdude
Intermediate

Both cars were stock so it would be hard for me to believe someone used a cup lid but it could be the case. The other car from what i remember had an imperfection in the center right below the wing but ill need to see if i have pictures of that.
Old 01-08-2021 | 10:34 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

My car is currently in storage so I can’t walk out to the garage to look at it, but are there little rubber stoppers for the engine lid on the bottom side of where the indents are?

It still wouldn’t make sense given that if anything that would be making an outward dent not an inward dent, but I’m trying to think of anything that could cause that.

Either way, you could talk with a paintless dent removal person. They could probably remove those with a glue pull if the metal is actually dented in. You’ll just want to use caution if for some reason that wasn’t original paint. Not sure what a glue pull would do on a respray.

Have not seen that on any GT3 before and I’m not around GT2’s often.
Old 01-08-2021 | 10:55 PM
Fdude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bxstr
My car is currently in storage so I can’t walk out to the garage to look at it, but are there little rubber stoppers for the engine lid on the bottom side of where the indents are?

It still wouldn’t make sense given that if anything that would be making an outward dent not an inward dent, but I’m trying to think of anything that could cause that.

Either way, you could talk with a paintless dent removal person. They could probably remove those with a glue pull if the metal is actually dented in. You’ll just want to use caution if for some reason that wasn’t original paint. Not sure what a glue pull would do on a respray.

Dents were inward. Also, i did not take pictures of the bottom side of the engine lid. I thought the engine lids were plastic/composite so i don't think a paintless dent removal guy would be able to pull it out.
Old 01-09-2021 | 01:47 AM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr

The engine cover isn't made from metal so paintless dent repair won't be an option. If you want to fix this it will involve paint.
Old 01-09-2021 | 09:26 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Dents were inward. Also, i did not take pictures of the bottom side of the engine lid. I thought the engine lids were plastic/composite so i don't think a paintless dent removal guy would be able to pull it out.
Originally Posted by The Mick
The engine cover isn't made from metal so paintless dent repair won't be an option. If you want to fix this it will involve paint.
Good point. Although it was mentioned above that it isn't metal, I always forget that given the engine lid is so heavy, with the wing. I guess it would require paint and body.
Old 01-09-2021 | 02:34 PM
Fdude
Intermediate

Yeah after checking a few cars I checked my car to make sure it was fine. I know that with other expensive car brands that use composites some parts will have some imperfections here and there. I was just wondering if any of the gt community has seen that on their cars. Thanks again everyone
Old 01-09-2021 | 06:06 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

.....I was just wondering if any of the gt community has seen that on their cars. Thanks again everyone
you got me all paranoid. I went and checked. real close, different angles to the light. no such imperfection.
Old 01-10-2021 | 12:52 AM
Fdude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mchrono
you got me all paranoid. I went and checked. real close, different angles to the light. no such imperfection.
Didn't want to scare anyone haha this is just what i observed so just wanted to see if anyone was seeing the same thing.
Old 01-13-2021 | 01:15 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

none on any of my cars (thankfully)

Quick Reply: Imperfections in Gt2, Gt3, Gt3rs engine lids