Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

**HELP!! Weird noise after transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 11:19 PM
BOBBYFALI
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **HELP!! Weird noise after transmission rebuild

I decided to rebuild my worn and hard shift transmission after 7 years of street runs and put a more street able clutch in.

I sent the transmission to a company that build most of the Transmissions for all the Porsche dealers & performance shops around here. He also builds Ferrari & McLaren transmission along with DSG/PDK transmissions & he has been in business for over 25yrs. I am saying all that to say that I didn't just give my transmission to anyone.

The transmission is making a sound from 50-80km/h when decelerating. It is such a unique sound that I was hoping that someone might be able to give some suggestions.

My 997 is still at the shop as we came across this sound when he put everything back together and I am running out of options.(frustrated)

Below attachment has the noise that is sometimes happening at low loads when decelerating.

Anything that jumps out for you as it is a unique sound.

What work was done:

-Took out ERP TRIPLE Carbon disk set up and replaced with Proto Twin Disc with LWFW
-added WAVETRAC LSD (stock car had no LSD)
-rebuild transmission with new 3rd&4th gear with shaft, 2-5 new syncros (All new Porsche parts)
-replaced 1st main bearing in front diff
-replaced front ripped CV boost and packed with new grease

What the shop has done so far in search of this issue:

1. Re-set Crown & Pinion back lash from 0.06mm to Bill Rader’s recommendation of 0.16mm

2. Taken out Wavetrac LSD & put back my stock one

3. Currently he as my transmission out to inspect and make sure nothing is abnormal

BEFORE he puts the transmission back in the car is there anything that might be causing this sound within the transmission?

We plan on putting my old ERP set up back to see if the new Proto Twin disc set up is an issue with balancing or LWFW (even though my ERP was a overall lighter set up) …I know we are grasping at straws it seams like…….FRUSTRATED…..

The shop is really trying, but I feel I am running out of options as he is saying that it is most likely the LWFW not soaking up the noises from the transmissions.....I am like WHAT?! I have had a lighter setup just come out and I had the same LWFW in my 996 and NEVER have heard a sound like this or from any other person claiming this sound!

Any suggestions or help would be a blessing, as the next step would be even more $$ and most likely double paying for the what I have already spent......aka me shipping the car to a well know tuner in the states to resolve this as I don't want to mess around anymore.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Strasburg Rd.mp3 (757.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by BOBBYFALI; 10-21-2020 at 11:26 PM.