Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Scud

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 04:53 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
I have a friend who owns all the lightweight Ferrari’s starting from the Stradelle to the Pista. The most beautiful to me is the Stradelle, but the perfect blend of modern tech but analog feel is the Scuderia. I just love that car.

The speciale and pista remind me of the 991/992 cars. Just too refined. Devoid of emotion. If you do want some refined, can’t beat them. And they are insanely fast.
I couldn’t have said it any better; this matches my experience owning a CS, Scud, Speciale and a couple of their non-LW cousins. I passed on 488/Pista because Speciale had already pushed too far towards 991-territory. Don’t get me wrong, Speciale and 991rs some of best cars either manufacture has ever produced; they just left me numb/bored too quickly. (I KNOW, the Speciale fan club is going to torch me; it’s the 997 4.0 of the f world. It “drives on water”!). CS is one of most visceral/raw cars ever made and probably the first/only car I’ve ever owned that pushed almost too far in that direction. You talk about needing to be in the right mood to drive it! But, honestly, the tranny is the nail in coffin for the CS. A downshift at full tilt in a CS is INSANE; the tranny is almost undrive-able otherwise (you REALLY need to be in the right mood to put up with it). Speciale too 991rs-like. Scud was the Goldilocks for me. It could call on that CS insanity if provoked and approach the Speciale for “drive-ability” if cruising. Not as precise as a 997rs but plenty of steering/suspension/chassis feedback and not that nervous steering feel the new f v8’s have had. I’ve cut back to a much smaller fleet and it’s all Porsche, but if I added a Ferrari back in the mix, it would be Scud for pure drive-experience or 458 spider for one of best modern drop formulas ever; more of a cruiser mentality than Scud being a hair-on-fire experience.

if you like 997 gt3/rs, I think you will like the scud. They are much different cars but represent Ferrari and Porsche’s interpretations of the same era, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:11 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by jason95R
Awesome write up. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds there.

It's amazing to me that the sticky interior bits have been a problem in F cars and P cars for so long and it was never rectified. You would think a known problem like that would have been taken care of way back when. It's not like its an if it will happen. It's a when.
Thanks, I feel the same and I’m very careful with my “stable” selections given that funds are far from unlimited lol! As far as sticky buttons, I’ve never had a Porsche that came close to approaching the levels of horror that can be present on a mid 2000’s Ferrari! This is a picture of my overhead console in the scud before I refinished it (those are drain plug washers I stuck to it for dramatic effect!). Insane!

Last edited by ScottArizona; 10-12-2020 at 06:14 PM.
SupraSaiyan (10-14-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:35 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

^^^The sticky plastic thing gets so sticky, it can double as flypaper . I had a mid-2000’s Maserati QP. That car had the same problem but with 4x the amount of surfaces covered with it. I started to send off a few pieces to be refinished but in the end sold the car to a guy that was a much bigger DIY’er. By comparison, the Scud’s sticky button surfaces are much less and and the car itself MUCH more worth the hassle factor. I remember brake fluid stripping off the stickiness fairly well. As long as you had black plastic under it, it was a cheap/easy fix. On the few parts that were seriously back-lit and clear/white underneath........uggggh......that was the tipping point for me to sell the QP! I had limited funds and even less time back then. I have more of both now and would have just sent off the pieces to be recovered; it’s a pretty easy/reasonable fix. But, that picture with the washers took me down memory lane
Old 10-12-2020, 07:07 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 796 Posts

Scott, my 4.1 just got finished. We should do a 4.1 vs scuderia head to head top gear style
Old 10-12-2020, 07:20 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Scott, my 4.1 just got finished. We should do a 4.1 vs scuderia head to head top gear style
Yes we should...you good to bring it down to AZ LOL? How do you like it...we need some feedback! For reference my buddy had one of those 997.1 rs "orange crush" GMG 4.0 builds. My gallardo was just a smidgen quicker in most roll-on situations. Scud is much quicker than the gallardo though! Would be an interesting comparo!
Old 10-13-2020, 04:50 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Yes we should...you good to bring it down to AZ LOL? How do you like it...we need some feedback! For reference my buddy had one of those 997.1 rs "orange crush" GMG 4.0 builds. My gallardo was just a smidgen quicker in most roll-on situations. Scud is much quicker than the gallardo though! Would be an interesting comparo!
That would be fun. Maybe we could get Autotemptest to sponsor it lol It would likely be close now. I'm near 500hp at the wheels with the 4.1 stroker and weight 3150 without me in it. You are likely a few hundred lighter, slightly less power but faster shifting having the auto. Hit me up next time you are coming into Florida and maybe you can take my car for a spin
Old 10-13-2020, 08:55 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
That would be fun. Maybe we could get Autotemptest to sponsor it lol It would likely be close now. I'm near 500hp at the wheels with the 4.1 stroker and weight 3150 without me in it. You are likely a few hundred lighter, slightly less power but faster shifting having the auto. Hit me up next time you are coming into Florida and maybe you can take my car for a spin

For sure! I'm down there a bit for work, but not lately (thanks to Covid and Zoom!).
Old 10-14-2020, 04:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

drove strad, scud, speciale
strad is really visceral, slow, and violent shifting. do not drink latte while driving
Scuderia is almost as good.
speciale... I had it to drive for a months unlimited miles. I drove it one day. then parked it. decide walking was more fun.
911-140.6 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 12:44 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
drove strad, scud, speciale
strad is really visceral, slow, and violent shifting. do not drink latte while driving
Scuderia is almost as good.
speciale... I had it to drive for a months unlimited miles. I drove it one day. then parked it. decide walking was more fun.

That's funny. I have not actually driven a stradale, but I've been a passenger in one and my "butt dyno" was telling me that the acceleration was comparable to that of a 996 gt3. Which is not to say its "slow" per se, but not "fast" by today's standards (still super fun though...obviously I'm ok with that performance level as my "forever car" is my 996 gt3). Scud is much, much quicker.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:36 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Road NVH and general sound levels in the cabin?

Hi guys, here are my two cents. I've always lusted after a scud. Raw, pretty, exotic and really fast. But I never thought I'd get one since they are so expensive and I tend to rack up miles on my cars and was worried about the dreaded Ferrari depreciation. So when I came across the high mileage BAT example, I knew that was my chance LOL! (even though it was risky given the lack of records, extensive track usage, etc...). I'm glad I took the plunge (even though mine needed a crap ton of tlc, and still needs a lot more). I have had several Porsche gt and turbo cars (all mezgers) from several 996 gt3's, to a 997.1 gt3, and have significant seat time in two different 997 4.0 builds and various 997.2 gt3's and a 991 gt3 (best friend has had basically every variant). However, I've never driven a 997.2 gt3 rs so I can't directly compare to that model (also never driven a 991 era rs so can't compare to these either). With that said, here are my thoughts on the scud.

Pros: Very fast. Feels faster than 500 hp and punches above its weight in that regard. GTboard has lots of good head to head rolling race videos and it puts a surprising amount of distance on a lot of cars with similar power. Like a gt3, its no torque monster but its better than a 997 gt3 and still satisfying on the street and pushes you back into the seat even from low revs. Short(ish) gearing helps in that regard, but the short gearing is not a liability at all like super short gears on a manual car because the shifting is so fast that its no big deal that you are shifting earlier/more frequently. I know of a scud owner with exhaust and headers only and he claims it is just as fast as his stock 458, and is also on par with his stock 991.2 gt3 (manual). That's saying a lot for a car that came out in 2008. The scud would wipe the floor with any mezger gt3 I have ever driven (and I'm a definitely gt3 fanboy having owned 4 and will never sell my current 996 gt3). My 996 is lightened up, 997 gt3 exhaust, re-geared, and its feels nissan sentra slow when I drive it back to back with the scud (yet the 996 feels fast to me any other time!). The scud is also very nimble feeling. Not gt3 precise as mentioned above, but definitely not lacking in this department. Turns great, amazing throttle response. I spent years trying to make my 05 manual gated gallardo (which I just sold given the addition of the scud) feel more nimble (200lbs weight reduction, exhaust, air filters, lowering and corner balance, rwd conversion), and it still drove like a truck compared to the scud...night and day. Still love the gallardo platform (especially in manual), and would like to own another some day, but the scud feels so much more responsive, and in my opinion and based on my experience, is as close to a gt3 as you can get in terms of precision without it being a gt3. When I drove my gallardo and scud back-to-back the gallardo felt so much more plush and hefty. Soundi-wise the scud is really, really, good. I recall seeing an article that a 430 scuderia is the second loudest stock car ever tested by motor trend (thankfully the oem system is valved so its easy to keep things civilized when needed). Its amazing at full throttle. The car is also very, very spacious inside. Better than any 911 I have ever driven and better than any lambo I have experienced. If you are tall this is the car for you. I'm 6'4" with a long torso and have literally several inches above my head with no modifications to seats or rails needed. The car is also very, very raw and visceral. This is a pro in my opinion, but can also be a con (see below). Interior definitely feels "special" and interior finishes (as they are) feel very high end. The carbon fiber is everywhere and holds up well (unlike early Porsche carbon fiber). I also love that its so rare (1500 units world wide is what I have heard). I've never seen another one "in the flesh" on the road (just c&c events). I also believe them to be fairly reliable (with some notable exceptions discussed below) and robust, with one caveat: garage queens (which most of them are), tend to have problems, primarily with the complex f1 systems. All cars like to be driven, but this is especially true for the f1 era ferraris. The engines seem dead reliable. You hear very few stories of failures. My car has literally 50k track miles (it was a track day fleet car for the first 50k miiles of its life), and the engine pulls strong, runs cool, doesn't smoke or burn oil, and throws no codes. Treat them right, drive them, stay on top of maintenance (and in fact exceed factory intervals), and I believe the motors are every bit as reliable as a mezger. Finally, the transmission. Its just bonkers. This is a pro and a con though. You kind of have to be in the "mood" to drive this car because like many other single clutch systems, its not great at low speed/low rpm/auto mode. But for "spirited driving" and beyond, its hard to beat in terms of fun and feedback and experience. And at full tilt it iis straight up, slam you in the back, holy-crap did something just break, bonkers. Its what is missing in every 991 gt3 or gtr I've ever driven. Those cars are almost too good as the sensation of speed and risk is lost in the "clinical" way the speed and shifts occur.

The cons: First, before I go here I need to caveat my remarks by saying that my example is not exactly the best out there. In fact, for cars that have not been in an accident, it could be the roughest example! But with that said, they simply do not feel as well "put together" as a Porsche. I heard a joke once that Ferrari is an engine company that also builds cars. It is truly as though the factory during this era (I think it is different now) focused on the motor and then slapped the rest of the car together as an afterthought. The window switches feel more "rickety," the doors do not shut with the same "thud" as a Porsche, and there are definitely a few gremlins that the factory never seemed to be able to figure out. For example, stock headers will fail (f430 will crack, and the scud headers will likely warp (requiring some machining to flatten the flanges, then it won't happen again). Its just a fact. And the rear muffler will likely crack too given enough mileage and heat cycles. Scuds fare better than f430's, but they all have the same weaknesses. And don't get me started on the sticky interior surfaces. If they aren't sticky yet, its only a matter of time. Such a shame as its so unsightly and expensive to take care of properly. Second con is that the scud feels very complex compared to a mezger gt car. There are so many additional sensors and pumps and valves and systems... there is just a lot going on. If you value simplicity you won't find it here (although I guess you could say a scud is "simple" compared to modern supercars like anything from the 458 and beyond, McClarens, etc....). Third, the parts are so damn expensive. I'm fine paying a lot for expensive parts but so much of what I have to buy just doesn't feel like a good "value." I can afford a $190 part but when that part is a stupid plastic interior cover of some sort, it just feels like you are getting violated. And the used parts are really not much better as the breakers know very well how expensive the parts are new. Bottom line, when stuff goes wrong its going to be costly. I diy A TON and if that was not my plan, I would have been better off buying a pristine example. And the dealers...holy cow...like prison rapists. An extra key is a grand, and they charge like 4k for a valve cover job (I diy'd it...not easy, but not 4k in labor either). Finally, this is a pro and a con, but you really need a drive one to appreciate just how raw and visceral a scud is. People always describe gt3's as "raw and visceral" but they are not even close in terms of "visceralness" and rawness to a scud. Its like when you get in a stripped out street car that has been track prepped and hear every pebble hitting the undercarriage, every vibration, and every tick and buzz from the engine. Again, my car was ridden hard and put away wet, but even after motor mounts, shock mounts, and lots of other tlc, my car still feels way more "raw" than any gt3 I've owned. But that's a plus too. There are no carpets or sound deadening, and its hard to convey what that truly feels like in a street car. Yup, its "raw." But its also an event and memorable every time I take it out, which is why I will continue to improve and refresh and drive the snot out of my scud for years to come.

Oh, one last thing. I think they are very pretty (imho, better than the overly curvaceous 458 and 488 era cars, but that is just me).

How bad are the sounds levels inside the cabin? NVH? Better or worse than a 7.2 RS? In other words at the 3 hour mark shouting at your girlfriend do you want to lose your mind?

Old 10-14-2020, 03:42 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Sound levels not much worse at standard cruising speeds. Because the scud system is valved its actually pretty sedate at reasonable speeds and rpms. So in terms of the extra "N" in "NVH" I'd say its close to a wash, with the scud being a bit louder at cruising speeds due to the engine right behind your head (and MUCH louder at full open throttle). Cabin definitely a little more "buzzy" and "tinny" due to the lack of sound deadening and carpets, so there is more "V" than an RS, but the "H" is similar to an RS since you have suspension modes at your disposable and can soften things up. I don't find the car harsh at all.

Last edited by ScottArizona; 10-14-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:20 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 276 Posts

The Sud is on my 'to do' list; just need to decide what leaves to make room for one. It will be my first and most likely only Ferrari.

I had the pleasure of driving a good friend's 2007 Scud from Newport Beach to Monterey and back for car week several years ago. Being English, I was never a big fan of Schumacher but of course always admired his immense skill. The amazing qualities of Scud IMO are the direct result of his input on the program - from what I have read he was very involved.

For me the most rewarding aspect of the Scud is the single clutch F1 transmission - there is some otherworldly magic in there. The sounds it helps to create through the exhaust at differing throttle / gear positions are intoxicating.

Last edited by Nurburger; 10-14-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:40 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
The Sud is on my 'to do' list; just need to decide what leaves to make room for one. It will be my first and most likely only Ferrari.

I had the pleasure of driving a good friend's 2007 Scud from Newport Beach to Monterey and back for car week several years ago. Being English, I was never a big fan of Schumacher but of course always admired his immense skill. The amazing qualities of Scud IMO are the direct result of his input on the program - from what I have read he was very involved.

For me the most rewarding aspect of the Scud is the single clutch F1 transmission - there is some otherworldly magic in there. The sounds it helps to create through the exhaust at differing throttle / gear positions are intoxicating.

I agree. The scud is the first non-manual car where I DIDN'T say to myself "wish this came in a manual." I love a good manual but would not manual swap a scud...you would loose so much of what makes is magic (albeit still imperfect). Its also the first car I have ever owned (of any make) where I have had zero desire to modify the exhaust note (and that is saying something...been through so many exhaust iterations on my prior gt3's and turbo, easily in excess of 10). Stock is a-ok for me (although I have aftermarket manifolds that probably change the sound a bit).
Old 10-15-2020, 11:28 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Sound levels not much worse at standard cruising speeds. Because the scud system is valved its actually pretty sedate at reasonable speeds and rpms. So in terms of the extra "N" in "NVH" I'd say its close to a wash, with the scud being a bit louder at cruising speeds due to the engine right behind your head (and MUCH louder at full open throttle). Cabin definitely a little more "buzzy" and "tinny" due to the lack of sound deadening and carpets, so there is more "V" than an RS, but the "H" is similar to an RS since you have suspension modes at your disposable and can soften things up. I don't find the car harsh at all.
Thank you for the descriptive response. About what I expected. A scud is on list for sure but for me it always means parting with the 7.2 RS and that is a problem...
Old 10-15-2020, 01:12 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Thank you for the descriptive response. About what I expected. A scud is on list for sure but for me it always means parting with the 7.2 RS and that is a problem...
Yeah, to be completely candid, that would be a problem for me too. I doubt I would purchase a scud if it meant I had to give up a 7.2 rs. In fact, it wouldn't really matter which gt3 I were giving up. If getting a scud meant not having a 3 in the garage, it wouldn't happen. Its the reason I'm rocking a 996 with 70k miles! I wanted both a gt3 and a scud so that meant high mileage examples of each car. But I"m fine with that because I'm just giddy about having two "drivers" that I can drive the wheels off guilt free without losing my shirt when and if I sell, both of which are sooo much fun to drive and offer such completely different experiences. I could care less if the "Ferrariati" think my car is garbage (and a lot of them do, but they are at least nice on f-chat), or that my heavily-tracked 996 is not C&C worthy due to all the track rash and warts. They just give me such a kick to drive and I feel beyond blessed to have them. With all that said, if at some point I become a 1 (or 2) car stable guy again, I'm pretty sure I'd have a grey/red 7.2 rs in the garage. My goal is to add back (in a couple years) a nice air-cooled project (miss my SC) and a 997-era gt2, and I would have everything I ever wanted! See, I'm a simple guy with simple desires. Nothing fancy LOL!
The following 3 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
911-140.6 (10-28-2020), Hella-Buggin' (10-21-2020), Mr. Adair (10-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Scud