Does this sound okay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020 | 11:12 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Gesler
Wow. Good ear then!

am curious, what made you listen to it from that angle in the first place? All I know is how it sounds from inside, never bothered to listen outside.
Agreed - GREAT ear! I literally heard nothing abnormal at all.

GL
Old 07-08-2020 | 12:01 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by cds4402
My CEL just came on. Maybe the noise is something after all!
Interesting.... I was going to comment before, but without a CEL most people would have said I was a crazy idiot..... When I did the spark plug service on my car, I found that not all the plugs were completely tight, and I thought the engine sounded quieter after I used an actual torque wrench and put new plugs in it. pop that heat shield off the left side and make sure the spark plugs are snug before you waste a trip to the dealer. It will take you maybe 25 minutes.

When I listen to your video on my laptop, both left and right sides sound the same. I think something is maybe being lost in translation due to low quality speakers on my end.

CEL is also a good excuse to buy a diagnostic tool.... I have been putting it off because I can't decide which grade of tool I want to own. I currently have the oil change service light on, but I'm changing the oil more frequently than the actual interval. Not sure if I want the durametric or PIWIS, and if chinese copy is ok etc. etc.

Old 07-08-2020 | 12:06 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Interesting.... I was going to comment before, but without a CEL most people would have said I was a crazy idiot..... When I did the spark plug service on my car, I found that not all the plugs were completely tight, and I thought the engine sounded quieter after I used an actual torque wrench and put new plugs in it. pop that heat shield off the left side and make sure the spark plugs are snug before you waste a trip to the dealer. It will take you maybe 25 minutes.

When I listen to your video on my laptop, both left and right sides sound the same. I think something is maybe being lost in translation due to low quality speakers on my end.

CEL is also a good excuse to buy a diagnostic tool.... I have been putting it off because I can't decide which grade of tool I want to own. I currently have the oil change service light on, but I'm changing the oil more frequently than the actual interval. Not sure if I want the durametric or PIWIS, and if chinese copy is ok etc. etc.
I am trying to figure out the best scan tool as well. I don’t know if I feel comfortable with the Chinese copy. It should be fine, but we’re dealing with the ECU and other very important modules. Duramteric, while less functional, is proven.

Keep in mind, you can pair up with another member and get a discount on the Durametric. If I decide to go that route I will reach out to you and we could always buy two if you also wanted to a Durametric, but I’m thinking this will be an over winter purchase for me.
The following users liked this post:
Auto_Werks 3.6 (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020 | 01:44 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6

When I used to drive BMWs, I kept one of those cheap Peake scan tools in the glove compartment. Those things were great. Just a series of lights that flashed a few times like Morse code to give you the error. Weird that they don't make something small like that for Porsches.
Old 07-08-2020 | 02:30 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

When I used to drive BMWs, I kept one of those cheap Peake scan tools in the glove compartment. Those things were great. Just a series of lights that flashed a few times like Morse code to give you the error. Weird that they don't make something small like that for Porsches.
Those are great tools. Carly is a great one for BMW now too.

If you want just basic functions the icarsoft porii could be a good option. But I would rather have a Durametric where I can pull over rev reports for people if needed which the icarsoft cannot do.
Old 07-08-2020 | 08:23 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr

If you want just basic functions the icarsoft porii could be a good option. But I would rather have a Durametric where I can pull over rev reports for people if needed which the icarsoft cannot do.
I went ahead and ordered a Durametric just now. I’m 2.5 hours from the nearest Porsche dealer, so it might save me some time if I can diagnose and fix it here at home. Last thing I want to do is drive up there and find out it’s just a bad gas cap.
Old 07-09-2020 | 06:54 AM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I did get a CEL when my car decided to pop out one of the O2 sensors. I'm thinking the resulting unplugged hole could generate a difference in sound.

Maybe there's someone else here who lives closer to you. Where are you?
Old 07-09-2020 | 10:16 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthofrancis
I did get a CEL when my car decided to pop out one of the O2 sensors. I'm thinking the resulting unplugged hole could generate a difference in sound.

Maybe there's someone else here who lives closer to you. Where are you?
Just checked the sensors, they're all in place. I'm in Laredo, Texas.
Old 07-09-2020 | 12:16 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr

how much are the Durametric units?
Old 07-09-2020 | 12:34 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
how much are the Durametric units?
$287 for enthusiast. 3 VIN’s. Can clear codes and read DME. Cannot code.

$735 for professional. Unlimited VINs and can do coding. Not as much PIWIS though. Also I’ve read it only supports cars to 2015.

20% coupon if you buy 2 though.

http://www.durametric.com/buyus.aspx
Old 07-28-2020 | 11:30 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Turns out it was a bad catalytic converter. The header/cat is being replaced under warranty now. Should get the car back later this week!
Old 07-28-2020 | 01:07 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Turns out it was a bad catalytic converter. The header/cat is being replaced under warranty now. Should get the car back later this week!
Thanks for following up. Good info and glad It’s all covered.

Quick Reply: Does this sound okay?