Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bricked my ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 01:27 PM
Porschemeyer
4th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bricked my ECU

I bought a 2008 Porsche 997.1 turbo cab 6 speed. Had it Porsche pre-inspected and it passed without a single issue. 22,000kms. The car as as close to new as I could find. It’s my dream car and after learning my 14 year old son has terminal brain cancer last December and living with him at Sick Kids for almost 5 months. I decided life is just to short and felt what better way for us to enjoy his last few months together.

I drove the car home from the private seller and the car performed as imagined. A few days later and after learning more about the car I decided to plug in the Cobbs tuner that came with the car along with a car cover. I read the instructions both on paper and online and videos. When I plugged it in and when to ignition state nothing happened. The screen never lit up at all. I checked connections pushed a few buttons wondering if it needed waking up but again nothing. I thought it was broken. I unplugged and took the device to my computer. After plugging it in a few minutes later the screen lit up. I figured the device must have an internal battery that was dead and needed charging. Happy to see it alive I updated the latest software versions and let it charge overnight.

The next day I went to my car to start it up and and it would not start. It did a half turn over but that was it. Just about every error light you can think of was lit. I tried checking over the vehicle, clutch switch, fuses, battery terminals, disconnected the battery swapped batteries. Nothing. Called Cobbs and they went over the device while on the phone, had me plug it in and try installing, uninstall etc. No luck. When trying to back up or install maps it communicates fine with my ECU but stays at 0%, same with installation. The cooling fan runs on and off while the Cobbs is plugged into the ECU for some reason. Anyway I sent the Cobbs and my ECU to Cobbs. 2 weeks later it was returned to me with a request that I tow the car to a Porsche dealer as they felt the problem was fixed and now all that was needed was the dealer to use their PIWIS to force reprogram. 30 minutes tops and the car should be fine.

The car was towed and after waiting 3 days the dealer Pfaff Porsche Vaughan Ontario they said it was a no go and that I needed to buy a new ECU. 4,000 plus plus plus. I decided to sent the ECU to a rebuild and repair shop in Toronto.

5 days later they responded saying there is nothing wrong with the ECU and the hardware seems fine. They did say that I likely have a software problem and said you better talk with Cobbs. I have once again been in touch with Cobbs and I can tell they are shrugging their shoulders and saying perhaps you should just buy a new ECU.

They have suggested trying to have the car towed to another Porsche dealer as the first one was perhaps just trying to sell me a highly marked up and profitable new ECU. I have spent close to $2,000 in towing, diagnostics, troubleshooting and shipping. at this point and the car has now sat for 4 weeks.

I am at a total loss at this point in what to do or how much more money I spend towing the car from place to place. Cobbs seems to feel the problem is no one I have gone to yet knows what they are doing and are not using the Porsche PIWIS system properly to reload the perfectly fine ECU.

Porsche can only recommend replacing the ECU with a new one. The ECU repair shop says it’s likely Cobbs that has their software bricking the ECU and says to hold them accountable for this mess.

Basically all three are pointing at each other. Has anyone every had a situation like this that can make any suggestion of what you would do in this situation?

This car was intended to provide some positive distraction and therapy. Something fun that my son and I can enjoy together during these dark days. If anyone can help or know if a tuner in the GTA that has Porsche PWSIS that can do more then changed parts or can provide any experience with this problem please let me know.

thank you!

Last edited by Porschemeyer; 06-21-2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Grammar reasons
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 01:30 PM
paddlefoot64
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts

Only wish I could help.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:54 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Naturally the dealer will default to have you buy a whole new ECU and naturally they will try to charge you quite a bit more than what you can get it for elsewhere.

I would recommend finding an independent PIWIS equipped shop and have them reflash your ECU totally back to stock. If that works, then return your COBB programmer. If not, you have confirmation that your ECU is bad, which is a distinct possibility. It does happen. If that’s the case, they can be bought for a lot less than $4k. Good luck and post back with results.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:02 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Seems like your cobb's battery died mid procedure and crashed the ECU. Like stated above, find a way to have the ECU reset to stock and go from there.
You'll be fine.

-Mark
Old 06-22-2020, 12:27 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

PIWIS is your friend on this one.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:34 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschemeyer
I bought a 2008 Porsche 997.1 turbo cab 6 speed. Had it Porsche pre-inspected and it passed without a single issue. 22,000kms. The car as as close to new as I could find. It’s my dream car and after learning my 14 year old son has terminal brain cancer last December and living with him at Sick Kids for almost 5 months. I decided life is just to short and felt what better way for us to enjoy his last few months together.

. I have once again been in touch with Cobbs and I can tell they are shrugging their shoulders and saying perhaps you should just buy a new ECU.
Sorry to hear about your challenges.
I know you didn't buy the CObb tool, but their response is certainly one reason why I would only buy a "tune" from Kevin @ ultimate motorwerks.

PS, you might get even more helpful responses if you post in the 997 Turbo forum, not 997 GT3.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:58 PM
Blindapex
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can probably help you.
I will need some detailed information about everything that happened.

Call 450.965.1666 on Monday and ask for Matt around 11AM. I should be in the shop then. If I can’t be found In the shop leave your info and I’ll call you back.

cheers

Matt@191 Motorsport
www.191motorsport.com
Chalaka (05-16-2024)
Old 06-27-2020, 10:58 PM
Porschemeyer
4th Gear

Default AMT Tuning saves my summer!

update and some great news.

Jim from AMT tuning took on the challenge and managed to clone a identical ECU for 997.1 turbo manual and flashed my ECU. He was able to also determine that the software that Cobbs had loaded was for the correct year and model as mine but was not for sport chrono.

He also noted that likely when the Porsche dealer was trouble shooting the car they removed some fuses for inspection and forgot to return one for the starter. Long story short he was able to help after I had the car towed to him in Vaughan and one day later he had the car running again. I also had him do a stage one tune and the car is running beautifully.

Jim was very affordable for the time and equipment he used to help but also for the tune and software he flashed. I would highly recommend AMT to anyone as Jim was very easy to communicate with and seemed to know exactly what was needed and how to help. Highly professional and his shop was like a work of art.

I now have one Cobbs AP that will likely go straight to the garbage can. I will certainly never use the device I have even after Cobbs has confirmed it is working as it should and has been updated with current firmware. After it left me in this position and no assistance was available from Cobbs or Pfaff how could I make sense of trying
it again?

They could and would only recommend buying a new ECU for a cost of 4,000 +++ not to mention a 3-4 week wait time. I will say Cobbs was good about returning calls and messages but in terms of offering any real assistance or recommendations to who could or would help me there was nothing.

The support they did offer actually cost me close to a thousand dollars in diagnostic fees, towing and hours. They loaded the wrong software on my ECU and that was part of the problem as it turns out. I told Cobbs that I could not trust using my device again for fear it could be defective or not working correctly and I wouldn’t even feel comfortable selling
It to another Porsche owner after my experience.

I have asked if they would replace the device with new or offer an equivalent credit for the value of the device. No response yet.

Thank you for offering the assistance and interest.

Last edited by Porschemeyer; 07-01-2020 at 12:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschemeyer:
cbracerx (06-03-2021), Chalaka (05-16-2024)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

It might not hurt to tell Cobb about this thread!

Good luck

Ray
Old 06-29-2020, 10:22 PM
Porschemeyer
4th Gear

Just heard back from Cobbs. They politely said to enjoy my car with my son and suggested I shouldn’t use the Cobbs tuner again. No offer to replace the tuner or related credit. I know it’s not my car or ECU as AMT did a flash tuning and the car is running Amazingly and accepted the flash without any issues. Cobbs is aware of this thread. They are correct with their advice however and I would never use this product again. One Cobbs tuner going straight into the garbage!! Life lessons learned.

Just glad to have the car running again and in time for the best of summer.

Last edited by Porschemeyer; 07-01-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Chalaka (05-16-2024)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:32 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Suggested UMW to two of my local friends, but they wanted to go with Cobb, better tell them about his thread .Glad things worked out for you and you can enjoy the car with your son. How's he doing btw?
Old 06-30-2020, 07:46 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschemeyer
Just heard back from Cobbs. They politely said to enjoy my car with my son and suggested I shouldn’t use the Cobbs tuner again. No offer to replace the tuner or related credit. I know it’s not my car or ECU as ATM did a flash tuning and the car is running Amazingly and accepted the flash without any issues. Cobbs is aware of this thread. They are correct with their advice however and I would never use this product again. One Cobbs tuner going straight into the garbage!! Life lessons learned.

Just glad to have the car running again and in time for the best of summer.
Wow! Disappointing customer service to say the least!

I had a good experience using their handheld tuner back in the day with my old GT-R. They are (or at least were) well regarded in that market and in the VW tuning market.

I guess that is where they will remain.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:41 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

Most importantly for the OP, I'm very sorry about the news about your son and I hope you both get to create a lot of special memories in your Porsche before that fateful day arrives. I hope you have much more time with him than the experts say.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Theodore:
I am the Walrus (07-01-2020), jonwb (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 02:42 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Condolences on your son and your family's situation. I am too a father and I can only imagine how hard that has been for all of you. Respect.

Great to hear you have your TT cab on the road again. Super frustrating. Hats off to the independent guy that figured everything out. I'm not sure why Cobb would be so nonchalant on this whole thing. Most companies understand the power of the internet and forums such as these to influence people and their decisions. I suspect you dealt with a junior employee?

Here's to sunny days and driving with the top down in TT, feeling the swell of the turbo power!

Best,

Joel

Old 07-01-2020, 07:28 PM
Porschemeyer
4th Gear

Default Thank you again to AMT (Jim) and Rennlist members

Just want to say thank you again to Jim of AMT Tuning. The car is running as well as I could imagine. Many have asked about my son and I sincerely appreciate your warm thoughts and wishes. If any are interested in his battle I welcome you to join me on Facebook. Glenn Meyer.

As one of my sons hockey coaches I took Reese Meyer off the ice during a rep level hockey practice late last November. He was having difficulty with his balance and his left hand began to close to form a fist against his wishes. 6 hours later we were told he had days to live if nothing was done and they were unsure anything could be done given the size and location. The tumour is in the Middle of his brain and was the size of a quarter.

Sick Kids did a biopsy to determine what kind of cancer tumour it was and when doing so they
poked the bear and Reese lost partial eye sight in his left eye, the use of his left arm and most of his left leg. After discovering the type of cancer he has from the biopsy we opted to do an emergency and highly risky surgery. The procedure was to attempt to gut the tumour much like hitting an egg from the inside but not touching the outside for fear of damaging the brain further.

The procedure went as well as could
possibly be hope for and Reese made it through surgery with no further loss of physical features. They removed 75% of what the could but have him 6 months if he did chemo and radiation.

Reese spent 4 months in Sick Kids and Bloorview hostipal in Toronto recovering and doing daily treatments, occupational therapy and physio therapy.

He is once again home and we couldn’t be happier to all be under one roof again. My wife and I were taking shifts 2 days on 2 days off living with Reese 24/7 while he was away from him.

Reese is having a very hard time with Chemo treatments but continues to wow us with his resilience and sense of humour.

The car has offered a form of therapy for me for sure but I have not yet gotten Reese to join me for a ride. I have owned the car for 5 weeks but only got it running last week since bringing it home 5 weeks ago and plugging in the nightmare Cobbs tuner.

Reese wrapped up a week of treatment 2 weeks ago and is starting to feel strong enough again to show interest in getting out with me very soon.

Thank you again for the sincere best wishes and interest in how he is doing. I couldn’t be more proud of him. He is truly a remarkable 14 year old who has never complained once of what has happened to him or how hard this has been for him. In fact the only comment he has made close to a complaint to why did it have to be my brain of all the places to get cancer.

We love him to pieces and cherish every minute we have with him.

Reese June 30th with his chipmunk friend.

30 days 30 treatments.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschemeyer:
paddlefoot64 (07-01-2020), RAudi Driver (07-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Bricked my ECU