Dive Plane/canards mounting help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 11:41 PM
crasher
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dive Plane/canards mounting help

Hi all,

I recently purchased some GMG CF canards/dive planes that are carbon fiber replicas of the 4.0 rs canards. I clay barred that area and cleaned it with alcohol then cleaned the canards with alcohol and used the 3m extreme mounting foam tape. I even heated them with a hair drier and pushed them on after they were mounted. Three days later I noticed they were peeling off as I pulled on them. Now it took a good amount of consistent pulling and they came off without damaging the anything. Last thing I want to do is to launch these guys off in the highway. It might be worthy to mention that I have a protective film over the front end. Any pro tips y’all?

Crasher
Old 05-26-2020, 12:47 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 659 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by crasher
Hi all,

I recently purchased some GMG CF canards/dive planes that are carbon fiber replicas of the 4.0 rs canards. I clay barred that area and cleaned it with alcohol then cleaned the canards with alcohol and used the 3m extreme mounting foam tape. I even heated them with a hair drier and pushed them on after they were mounted. Three days later I noticed they were peeling off as I pulled on them. Now it took a good amount of consistent pulling and they came off without damaging the anything. Last thing I want to do is to launch these guys off in the highway. It might be worthy to mention that I have a protective film over the front end. Any pro tips y’all?

Crasher
Hmmm...

They are intended to work and stay on with good quality double faced tape like you were supplied. I am going to be in your shoes soon when I mount the stock OEM 4.0 dive planes. They use a little different type of adhesive than you have. I'd call GMG and ask them for any tips. The clear bra is probably reducing a little of your stickiness. Make sure their placement is correct (ask GMG for a template?) you need maximum contact the length of the whole canard and the bumper. you could also add some adhesive since you have clear bra protecting the paint.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:13 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 200 Posts

Is the tape peeling from the bumper or the dive planes?

If the former, there is only one position where the dive planes are fully lined against the bumper and there are no gaps. So the first thing I'd make sure is that they are properly placed.

If the latter and the 3m double-sided tape isn't doing the trick you may want to try 3m plastic and emblem adhesive I think it's called. It's the liquid version of the double-sided tape but even better. Comes in small tubes IIRC, so buy 2 just to be on the safe side.

FWIW my OEM 4.0 dive planes are attached to a ceramic coated clear bra with the 3m double-sided tape. I've tested them at 8300 RPM in 5th gear (you do the math) and they are still on the car ×
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Adair (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 02:15 AM
ngng
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 187 Posts

pics. ppf shouldn't matter, I have ppf on my front and my dive planes stick fine
Old 05-26-2020, 06:58 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
pics. ppf shouldn't matter, I have ppf on my front and my dive planes stick fine
This. Mine held fine with 3m tape at Daytona @ 170mph

The following 3 users liked this post by flsupraguy:
GM.RS (05-27-2020), Mr. Adair (05-26-2020), SaintGt2 (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 11:36 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Hi all,

3m extreme mounting foam tape.

Crasher

I'm seeing the word foam in here. Are you using gray or white colored tape? I know the extreme is noramlly gray and that's the correct stuff if that's what your're using. 3M foam tape is usually the white stuff and that won't work.

Being the gray stuff and looking like you properly cleaned the area, I'm going to say the position needs to be adjusted. I spent some time making sure mine were in the best possible position as there is such a small window where they want to live.

Reclean, then apply new tape to the dive plane, multiple pieces are better than once piece if the tape doesn't lye totally flat. Find position then mark it and stick. Also make sure the tape is fresh. Home Depot is the best place for the freshest stuff.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:28 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
This. Mine held fine with 3m tape at Daytona @ 170mph
sweet shot!!
Old 05-26-2020, 06:07 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 805 Posts

sweet shot!!
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2020, 06:57 PM
crasher
AutoX

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I'm seeing the word foam in here. Are you using gray or white colored tape? I know the extreme is noramlly gray and that's the correct stuff if that's what your're using. 3M foam tape is usually the white stuff and that won't work.

Being the gray stuff and looking like you properly cleaned the area, I'm going to say the position needs to be adjusted. I spent some time making sure mine were in the best possible position as there is such a small window where they want to live.

Reclean, then apply new tape to the dive plane, multiple pieces are better than once piece if the tape doesn't lye totally flat. Find position then mark it and stick. Also make sure the tape is fresh. Home Depot is the best place for the freshest stuff.
its the gray tape that I got from autozone. I called GMG and they said to use VHB tape. Maybe ill go pole around home depot and see what I can find.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:41 AM
ngng
Drifting

its the gray tape that I got from autozone. I called GMG and they said to use VHB tape. Maybe ill go pole around home depot and see what I can find.
yes, buy the 3m vhb. don't buy any knockoffs. if you're feeling frisky, buy the adhesive promoter as well.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 AM
crasher
AutoX

yes, buy the 3m vhb. don't buy any knockoffs. if you're feeling frisky, buy the adhesive promoter as well.
Will the adhesive promoter melt the protective film or damage the paint?
Old 05-27-2020, 04:34 PM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 38 Posts

It will not damage paint. Not sure about the film.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:05 PM
Derock
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to your nearest auto body supply shop.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:16 AM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by moacur
It will not damage paint. Not sure about the film.
nah it'll be fine. the 3m stuff is really good
Old 05-29-2020, 07:40 AM
crasher
AutoX

Well thanks for all the suggestions. I got some 3m VHB and this time its on there. Im gonna let it set for three days before I go out for a drive.

Quick Reply: Dive Plane/canards mounting help