Go to LSD Rebuild Shop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 02:00 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Williamsf1
This is seriously good work!!

Can I ask what the rebuild set you back?

I have a 997.2 GT3 and considering a rebuild and Guard LSD - what version would you recommend for a tarmac rally car?
Man, it was not cheap, but my gearbox was a disaster. Prior "builder" literally installed parts backwards. CMS was surprised the transmission operated as well as it did. 1-3 gears were trashed, needed all new bearings, ring and pinion was shot, needed all new sycnchros (except reverse), needed new oil pump (debris had run through it during a prior "incident," and lots and lots of other misc. parts. If the part was worn or marginal, it got replaced. I also upgraded to a billet plate of some sort that performs better than the oem part (which can wear and allow the pinion to move around and cause wear), and a "shift arrestor" part that allows the gears to engage deeper. Total cost (not including the 3.89 ring and pinion from the 7.2rs which I had previously sourced before i knew the entire box needed to be re-done) was just a hair under $15,000 (sigh!).
Old 05-05-2020, 07:38 PM
Williamsf1
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Man, it was not cheap, but my gearbox was a disaster. Prior "builder" literally installed parts backwards. CMS was surprised the transmission operated as well as it did. 1-3 gears were trashed, needed all new bearings, ring and pinion was shot, needed all new sycnchros (except reverse), needed new oil pump (debris had run through it during a prior "incident," and lots and lots of other misc. parts. If the part was worn or marginal, it got replaced. I also upgraded to a billet plate of some sort that performs better than the oem part (which can wear and allow the pinion to move around and cause wear), and a "shift arrestor" part that allows the gears to engage deeper. Total cost (not including the 3.89 ring and pinion from the 7.2rs which I had previously sourced before i knew the entire box needed to be re-done) was just a hair under $15,000 (sigh!).
WOW!! Yeah that is a lot of work! never ever to be sold
Old 05-05-2020, 09:09 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Holy crap that's like 5 miatas worth of transmission work!
Old 05-10-2020, 12:30 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

What am I looking at paying ballpark if I have a local shop pull the diff and send it off to a Guard reseller? Probably don't want anything exotic just want the diff back to good working order.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:01 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
We’re exclusively a Guard (GT) shop, it’s the only diffs or diff parts we utilize, and I personally do the diffs myself. I’m in Davie, Florida though.

Candidly speaking, the more important part is who’s installing back in the car?

MJ
What's the name of your shop? I'm moving to Boca Raton.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:54 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
What am I looking at paying ballpark if I have a local shop pull the diff and send it off to a Guard reseller? Probably don't want anything exotic just want the diff back to good working order.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sd-buster.html

$2k for LSD rebuild roughly. See link.

The removal and reinstall is the bigger labor question.
replace carrier bearings, reshim, drop transmission? $3k easy or more.
Remove and reinstall LSD only hoping carrier bearings ok (like DIY link above) with shop that knows how to do this?
$1k

Just like there are ways to pin coolant lines without dropping engine, there are ways to replace the LSD without dropping transmission. But not every shop is familiar. And in some cases it is better to do the whole kit and kaboodle

Old 05-12-2020, 11:43 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by balefire

Remove and reinstall LSD only hoping carrier bearings ok (like DIY link above) with shop that knows how to do this?
$1k

Just like there are ways to pin coolant lines without dropping engine, there are ways to replace the LSD without dropping transmission. But not every shop is familiar. And in some cases it is better to do the whole kit and kaboodle
I thought it was possible to just drop the pumpkin and pop it back in if you're just rebuilding the guts of the stock LSD? I always go for the least intrusive method if possible. 1K plus 2K doesn't sound too terrible.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:45 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by balefire

$1k

I thought it was possible to just drop the pumpkin and pop it back in if you're just rebuilding the guts of the stock LSD? I always go for the least intrusive method if possible. 1K plus 2K doesn't sound too terrible.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:36 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BG
What's the name of your shop? I'm moving to Boca Raton.
Welcome!

Feel free to email me: MJ@mc1motorsport.com we’ll exchange contact info and chat on the phone.

Quick Reply: Go to LSD Rebuild Shop?