Nice pick up!
The following users liked this post:
msr1 (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 08:46 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by IMI A
Maybe go for OEM GT2 RS single plate fly wheel too which helps engine spin more freely. Torque the same for both GT2 and GT2 RS so i'd be amazed if Porsche hasn't ditched the GT2 clutch but goes to show cost savings OEM manufacturers go for by releasing a GT2 model with inadequate clutch. Better than a 991.1 GT3 choc engine I suppose. On the coolers it depends on use. I use do88 big pack which look identical to AMS but who knows what cores are in both - they're good for straight line drag racing over long distance (1.5 miles) but I expect with hard track use they're going to become heat soaked. Do88 do a set of intercoolers for the 991 GT2 RS. Maybe worth reaching out to them to see if they can fab up a set for 7 GT2? They're circa £8k-9k. By contrast the OEM 997 GT2 RS coolers are cheap and I've not seen anything vastly better for track use unless you go for super expensive aerospace or F1 cores from Marston or Secan. Something like £16k a set! To be honest if using on track and driving hard I would focus on a OEM tune like for the 997 GT2 RS as Porsches OEM tunes designed to hold onto the power in all conditions and just stick a pair of GT2 RS coolers on - they work.
I ran the GT2RS clutch with the OEM LWFW for several years coupled with a beefed up Sachs Motorsport 487 pressure plate. Great clutch on the street but had it's shortcoming on the track. I switched to a 996Cup clutch coupled with the Sachs 487 pp and its an amazing combo vastly superior to the GT2RS clutch allowing for much faster and more effortless shifts. Not really street friendly but a vast improvement on track. I also switched from the OEM GT2RS ICs to 4.0" Marston ICs and it's huge difference. Even at 720whp (+800bhp) the IATs stay in check during 30 min sessions at full boil. The OEM 7GT2RS ICs become a bottle neck at north of 600whp based on extensive Motec catalogs. Just something to consider for those looking to heavily track their GT2 at higher hp levels.
The following 2 users liked this post by powdrhound:
mchrono (01-25-2020), msr1 (01-22-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 03:31 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by msr1
Who can I ask for a GT2rs tune for my car? My car is Euro version
Any good indy who's tuned a GT2 RS or does the cobb access port not have base tune for RS?
Old 01-23-2020, 06:44 AM
IMI A
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I ran the GT2RS clutch with the OEM LWFW for several years coupled with a beefed up Sachs Motorsport 487 pressure plate. Great clutch on the street but had it's shortcoming on the track. I switched to a 996Cup clutch coupled with the Sachs 487 pp and its an amazing combo vastly superior to the GT2RS clutch allowing for much faster and more effortless shifts. Not really street friendly but a vast improvement on track. I also switched from the OEM GT2RS ICs to 4.0" Marston ICs and it's huge difference. Even at 720whp (+800bhp) the IATs stay in check during 30 min sessions at full boil. The OEM 7GT2RS ICs become a bottle neck at north of 600whp based on extensive Motec catalogs. Just something to consider for those looking to heavily track their GT2 at higher hp levels.
I'd very interested to see a datalog with marstons of a track session say lap 3 or 4 of a 30 min session. What was your highest IAT? Also are you running e85 or meth to keep things even cooler?
Old 01-23-2020, 06:46 AM
IMI A
Banned

Also how much were they? Are these the ones you had made up yourself and from memory were planning to mkt?
Old 01-23-2020, 07:50 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I'd very interested to see a datalog with marstons of a track session say lap 3 or 4 of a 30 min session. What was your highest IAT? Also are you running e85 or meth to keep things even cooler?
I normally set my best times later in a 30 minute session and logs show that performance does not drop off as my speeds are identical late in the session to those early in the session. It usually takes 3 to 4 hard laps to get the tires up to temp. I'd have to check my logs which are on my other computer for exact temp numbers but on a 80-85F day I'm seeing fully heat soaked IATs at the end of a 30 min session of roughly 155-160F. This is roughly 20F less that I saw on the OEM 997.2GT2RS ICs which I used on my 620whp 3.8 engine. So the Marsons on a 720whp 4.0L Mezger engine produce 20F lower IAT temps that the 997.2 ICs on a 3.8L 620whp Mezger. Here is a short video showing best times of the session set at the very end with identical speeds at the end of the straight. By comparison, the 997.2 IC would drop of considerably late into the session. Keep in mind I'm at a 5200' elevation where the air is roughly 20% less dense provides considerably less cooling. At sea level, the IAT temps would be lower. I am running regular pump gas, a mix of pump 91 and 100 which gives me about 95 octane effectively.

IMI A (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 08:07 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Also how much were they? Are these the ones you had made up yourself and from memory were planning to mkt?
The Marston's I'm using are the same as what Toby uses on his GT2 except his are thinner at 3.5" while the ones were used are 4.0" making them about 15% more efficient.

IMI A (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 02:56 PM
IMI A
Banned

Thumbs up

Enjoyed all 6.25 so thanks for that. Jeez that car is rapid. Intercoolers look very nice indeed and 71c at the end of a thirty min track session seems brilliant performance at 800bhp - incredible
Old 01-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Just bought a 997 08´ GT2 Clubsport, with flame retardant seats, Porsche exclusive carbon interior parts and other nice factory specs. The car is now having a paint refresh while I am doing some mechanical work to it, just added a new GT2 oem clutch and flywheel, changed the turbo oil feed and coolant feed line o rings, coils, plugs, and other stuff. The car has a catless downpipes with Klein exhaust which plan on keeping. But im looking info as to keep or ditch the AMS intercoolers the car has. Ive read numerous threads about pros and cons of having the OE turbos matched to the larger core but.. I drive my cars and drive them hard, so not sure on to keep or not... the car has OE tune
Also now that I have the engine down I wanted to do the coolant plugs from BBI to be on the safe side, even thought the car has 28k km or around 18k miles, not sure if needed right now or which way to go as I worry about the originality of the car.

All advises are welcome!!!
We think you should definitely get a Numeric Shifter and Cables in there. Will change the whole driving experience for you! Message us if we can answer any questions

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 01-25-2020, 04:33 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 551 Likes on 317 Posts

Just bought a 997 08´ GT2 Clubsport, with flame retardant seats, Porsche exclusive carbon interior parts and other nice factory specs. The car is now having a paint refresh while I am doing some mechanical work to it, just added a new GT2 oem clutch and flywheel, changed the turbo oil feed and coolant feed line o rings, coils, plugs, and other stuff. The car has a catless downpipes with Klein exhaust which plan on keeping. But im looking info as to keep or ditch the AMS intercoolers the car has. Ive read numerous threads about pros and cons of having the OE turbos matched to the larger core but.. I drive my cars and drive them hard, so not sure on to keep or not... the car has OE tune
Also now that I have the engine down I wanted to do the coolant plugs from BBI to be on the safe side, even thought the car has 28k km or around 18k miles, not sure if needed right now or which way to go as I worry about the originality of the car.

Thank you for mentioning us. We look forward to getting you a set of pipes to weld locally or have you ship the housing to us to prep and weld. For those that are unfamiliar, please visit this link below that describes the process and email us at sales@bbiautosport.com for more information

https://www.bbiautosport.com/blog/20...-weld-retrofit

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 01-25-2020, 05:44 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The Marston's I'm using are the same as what Toby uses on his GT2 except his are thinner at 3.5" while the ones were used are 4.0" making them about 15% more efficient.

Those look almost as big as the charged air coolers on my Peterbilt!
Old 01-26-2020, 01:25 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Igooz
Those look almost as big as the charged air coolers on my Peterbilt!
These were as big as we could fit in the existing confines. It did necessitate shortening the upper duct due to the extra thickness of the cores. Even though the Marston cores are large, they are very lightweight and the complete Intercooler only weighs 9.5 lbs which is just over 2 lbs more than the stock 997GT2RS intercooler.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:11 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

curious why the re-spray? was the paint pretty rough?

Quick Reply: New to Gt2!!