Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 to 991?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 02:03 AM
limitedslip
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts
Default 997 to 991?

Taking out my 2010 GT3 is always an experience. No other car I've driven has been so involving. Particularly at speeds. It demands all your attention. And even then it is not an easy car to drive fast.
Took it out through my favorite local roads earlier. My ears are still buzzing from the wail of Mezger bouncing off the mountain side. What a treat! And I love the smell of hot brakes and rubber in the garage afterwards.

But (there is a but) I almost feel tired and beat up. And not too long ago I test drove a 981 Clubsport at the track. I was impressed with the PDK (not so much the engine).
That got me thinking about the 991 GT3. By all accounts it's a less taxing and easier car to drive but still has a terrific chassis and engine.

Price difference seems to be minimal; although I wonder if 991s are even finding buyers.
A like-new 991 with only 6k miles just went reserve not met at 95k on BAT.

Thoughts?

Last edited by limitedslip; 11-25-2019 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:12 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,074 Likes on 2,107 Posts

The 991.1 is having a bit more difficult time selling. Most likely due to the engine issues even though they are warrantied for 10
years along with the .2 being offered with both PDK and manual with the 4.0L engine which is really special. I think right now is a great time to be a 991.1 buyer. They are great cars offered for what is a great price. Keep it for a couple years, then you can decide if you want to go back to a manual in the 991.2 or if you want to go back to a 997.

As an example of what you should expect to pay, Switchcars has a White 991.1 GT3 for $118. https://www.switchcars.com/cars-for-...orsche-911-gt3

Best of luck.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 AM
GM.RS
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by limitedslip
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-porsche-gt3/

I wouldn't take that car as an example. One of the last comments before the close was that the seller was refusing to answer questions in the comments and wanted everything via phone or otherwise off-line.... That's just not how BaT works so I'm not surprised buyers stayed away.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:38 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Don't do it. 997 GT cars are classics.
The following 3 users liked this post by cajerseyboy:
GM.RS (11-25-2019), Hella-Buggin' (11-25-2019), Zeus993 (12-07-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 12:13 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 305 Posts

You will love the crazy PDK punch that will throw you back into your seat from 5-9K. Nothing like it. Another benefit is the cruising factor, leave it in Auto and cruise around town to get a coffee etc. It's not much different than driving a standard Carrera. Comfy and easy until you want the beast mode, it's a compelling package. I have had them both. At the end of the day I sold my 991.1 GT3 to get my 997.2 RS. Why? all of the things you stated already and it's simply more special. If I could own both I would. But that's not in the cards. They are VERY different cars. Make sure to spend a few hours in the 991 before making any decisions! Good luck.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:09 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

There's been a lot of discussion on what will become a future classic, and the direction the cars are evolving with the 991 and now the 992, both in terms of driving dynamics (or lack thereof) and overall production numbers. 997 vs 991? really an easy decision I think if you have talked to enough knowledgeable people and have seat time in both cars, but then again the PDK with 9K RPM is fun, and the cruising factor argument does have merit.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:21 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

now that I've got a year+ under my belt with 997.2, I definitely feel the urge to try out a 991. I just want to be able to say I have driven one (for a length of time measured in months, not minutes). I don't have any plans to sell the 997.2 (just like I would not get rid of the car that brought me to it {avatar pic}), BUT the lure of trying out a 991 is there for me.

... and it would have to be a GT3 991 too. I've driven plenty of non-Motorsport 991 911's, and none of them do anything for me.

but the real question I still have in my own mind, is whether I'd want to drive a manual or PDK for a length of time. Every single sport car I own is a manual,... so trying out a PDK still has some allure. The only way I see myself actually being able to say I "truly" know the 997 is better, is if I spent many months ringing out a 991. Maybe someday the PCNA monthly rental program will come to my area (like Atlanta), as well as offering a GT3. hahahaha!! NOT. Doubt that would ever happen. So it would require a purchase to accomplish my inquiry & solve my curiosity. ... which also won't happen unless I sell another car (garage space). Maybe a 1st Gen 60's Camaro will have to go. hmmm.

=Steve
Old 11-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by bweSteve
now that I've got a year+ under my belt with 997.2, I definitely feel the urge to try out a 991. I just want to be able to say I have driven one (for a length of time measured in months, not minutes). I don't have any plans to sell the 997.2 (just like I would not get rid of the car that brought me to it {avatar pic}), BUT the lure of trying out a 991 is there for me.

... and it would have to be a GT3 991 too. I've driven plenty of non-Motorsport 991 911's, and none of them do anything for me.

but the real question I still have in my own mind, is whether I'd want to drive a manual or PDK for a length of time. Every single sport car I own is a manual,... so trying out a PDK still has some allure. The only way I see myself actually being able to say I "truly" know the 997 is better, is if I spent many months ringing out a 991. Maybe someday the PCNA monthly rental program will come to my area (like Atlanta), as well as offering a GT3. hahahaha!! NOT. Doubt that would ever happen. So it would require a purchase to accomplish my inquiry & solve my curiosity. ... which also won't happen unless I sell another car (garage space). Maybe a 1st Gen 60's Camaro will have to go. hmmm.

=Steve
I will never actually bad mouth a 991. And the new .2 RS is compelling enough if the right car came around at the right price I would toil over the decision. One thing I found compelling about the 991 is there is definitely a "race car paddle shift effect" to the car. Snapping the PDK in conjunction with the sound the car makes at 8500 rpm's and you realize you have another 500 rpms to go is intoxicating. The gal simply laughed out loud the first time we went full gas in 2/3/4th gear. Actually said, that was a carnival ride! But get into the 997.2 RS seat and it actually feels like the whole car is a race car
Old 11-25-2019, 03:42 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 794 Posts

I bought a brand new 991.2 manual gts. Dumped 30k into mods. Sold it 6 months later. Bought a 997.1 gt3 with a sharkwerks 3.9 stroker. I'm wayyyy happier. If you want the fastest car or somewhat a DD get a 991 gts, turbo, or gt3. If you want fun factor and driving engagement get a 997 gt3. Just my $.02
Old 11-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I bought a brand new 991.2 manual gts. Dumped 30k into mods. Sold it 6 months later. Bought a 997.1 gt3 with a sharkwerks 3.9 stroker. I'm wayyyy happier. If you want the fastest car or somewhat a DD get a 991 gts, turbo, or gt3. If you want fun factor and driving engagement get a 997 gt3. Just my $.02
Agreed! Not sure if you agree but I always felt all 991 GT cars were meant to be PDK and that the manual just didn't fit the original build model. I heard the manual shifts like a dream but it sure seems they are not holding as much value as the PDK cars and there are a ton of them out there in the market. Personally I feel like if you want a manual Porsche GT car you go 997 or GT4.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:29 PM
limitedslip
Pro

I have never driven a 991. It might be tough to find one to test drive, let alone for an extended period of time.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:37 PM
limitedslip
Pro

Originally Posted by bweSteve

=Steve
Looks like we can relate a bit haha. In my case garage space is also an issue, and well I couldn't afford to have both anyways. The insane GT3 specific PDK has some allure. All my other cars including daily drivers are manuals.
Would going through with a trade worth it to settle that urge and curiosity... I'm not sure!

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Didn't you recently have a "thinking about selling" thread? :P
Old 11-25-2019, 06:19 PM
E46/997 guy
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Taking out my 2010 GT3 is always an experience. No other car I've driven has been so involving. Particularly at speeds. It demands all your attention. And even then it is not an easy car to drive fast.
Took it out through my favorite local roads earlier. My ears are still buzzing from the wail of Mezger bouncing off the mountain side. What a treat! And I love the smell of hot brakes and rubber in the garage afterwards.

But (there is a but) I almost feel tired and beat up. And not too long ago I test drove a 981 Clubsport at the track. I was impressed with the PDK (not so much the engine).
That got me thinking about the 991 GT3. By all accounts it's a less taxing and easier car to drive but still has a terrific chassis and engine.

Price difference seems to be minimal; although I wonder if 991s are even finding buyers.

Thoughts?
You'll get people biased toward the 997 on this sub-forum and if you go to the 991 section, they'll say the opposite. The newer cars are fun and fast, but there's something artificial about the experience that I don't quite like. For me I have no doubt that if I had to choose, it's the 997.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:26 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 794 Posts

Looks like we can relate a bit haha. In my case garage space is also an issue, and well I couldn't afford to have both anyways. The insane GT3 specific PDK has some allure. All my other cars including daily drivers are manuals.
Would going through with a trade worth it to settle that urge and curiosity... I'm not sure!

Didn't you recently have a "thinking about selling" thread? :P
Yes, actually thinking of selling and getting a 720s. Only so much garage space.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:53 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

I’ve owned a 997.2, 991.1 and now a 991.2 manual. To me the 991.2 is the best of them all. I hated the clutch on the 997.2 for city driving- it would wear on me quickly. And don’t get me started on the first generation DEMs that turn to mush in competitive track driving after a few weekends. Other early tech that hasn’t stood the test of time include the PASM shocks, upgrading to double or triple adjustable high quality coil overs offers a much superior ride handling compromise. The motor on the 991.2 is every bit as engaging and visceral as the 997.2, with perhaps the only plus to my 997 being the upgraded 4.0 clutch and flywheel and full Akrapovic exhaust (13K it better sound good!). Even still the clutch, motor and shifter on the 991.2 are simply superior and a pleasure on any road or traffic condition. As for my 991.1 I bored quickly of the PDK except in full throttle applications but the single mass flywheel sound was similar to the 997.2, but unfortunately the computer had all the rev matching fun! As to the 991.2, time will tell if the diff is made of something stronger than tissue paper like the 997.2 (replaced with a guard diff) and if the synchros hold up (997 are brass...really!).

These though are nits, they are all great cars, but my money has spoken for the latest generation and sadly I lost money on the last two! In the end I would avoid the temptation to buy a 991.1- I don’t see the dark cloud of doubt ever lifting on the motor, warranty or not, and PDK is great only on the track. The only choices are the 997.2 or the 991.2 and with such a huge difference between them in terms tech and driving it comes to personal preference-again I’ve made my choice and couldn’t be happier.
The following 2 users liked this post by montoya:
911-140.6 (12-02-2019), lightoutarmed (05-18-2020)

Quick Reply: 997 to 991?