Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

.1 Regear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 02:01 PM
jeanhules
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default .1 Regear?

It's a slow day at work and I am planning out my next project, a .1 GT3 (non-RS).

I currently have a re-gear'd 3.8 993 and love it. Everyone says the 993 benefits from a re-gear and I concur.

That said, I am curious how the GT3 benefits from a re-gear and what the optimal ratios are. Cup gear seem aggressive, but also sound pretty fun. It will be a DE car with weekend drives.

Do I gear it for my local track? Or is there a go to ratio people suggest?

Also what are people's experience with R&P only versus R&P and gears. I will go the route of R&P and gears, but just curious if someone has experience with both scenarios.
The following users liked this post:
$ Short (08-25-2023)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

... I have no input or experience in this regard Jean,... sorry,.... BUT, before I just clicked away & left this thread,.. I just had to compliment you on your avatar. Loving many aspects of that pic - Speedlines, GT wing, rollcage, Silver, PCA sticker,... and of course a 993 in the first place.

your mind is obviously day-dreaming of the next Porsche project and I GET IT!! ... it's an every day struggle with me

luckily there's plenty of guys racing these cars on here,... so I'm sure you'll get experiences.
=Steve
Old 08-21-2019, 03:02 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Just change the final drive to 3.89 and you're golden. That's the 997-2 RS R&P. Having owned a 997-2 GT3 and an RS, that's the biggest difference between the two cars and it transforms the experience. If you do decide to change the gears and want to get rid of the 997-1 gears let me know, I have a buyer.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Have Bill Rader do the work. He’s done mine a few times.

i have some 997 cup gears if needed that are in great shape he took out of mine.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:23 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

I re-geared my 997.2 GT3 recently and went with the Cup 4.0 R&P. Main reason was that it is half the cost of the 3.8 street part with really minor differential between the gear speeds. As part of the process I looked at different gear ratios and again, the overall difference in max/min speed values per gear were not significant enough for change, plus changing the actual gears introduces a lot of noise (one of the main reasons cup cars sound the way they do sitting inside). Ultimately you have to look at a gear chart and do the math for yourself.

Once you are doing the re-gear project you also end up changing and upgrading many of the internal components, like switching to a steel syncro for 2nd gear, etc.,

In terms of whether it makes a difference or not would really depend on your use case and/or your expectations. For the Bay Area and our 3 tracks I found that the re-gearing was better for one track (Thunderhill), worse for the other (Laguna), and indifferent for the 3rd (i.e. Sonoma - half the track better, half the track worse), but my overall fun and engagement with the car has significantly improved. Given that I had to refresh my gearbox anyway it was a worth while upgrade for me.

If the car is primarily street driven, I think there are way better ways to spend 10K and make the car more fun and/or faster. As a step you should definitely consult with Matt from Guard and Bill from Bill Rader Motorsports, as they can give you a great view on what to expect given your individual use case.
The following users liked this post:
Fisher (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Now the caveat with just an r/p swap is the gear spacing. You’ll always have the gaps between them. So...it might be conducive to regear as your already going through labor (big deal). Setting up the r/p is no joke either. Shimming is not a joke.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:01 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

I regeared my 997.1 RS to 997.2 specs. Huge difference.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:24 PM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

I did my 997.1 late 2017 (from memory) just the R&P, we did not change the transmission ratios, it is now a 4.0 ratio motorsport R&P.

For the tracks I have been running, it has not adversely affected me or introduced a gear change where I don't want it, on the street, it is actually IMO one of the better mods you can do, where I live, lots of traffic so it just makes the car a little easier to live with in traffic as you don't have to be as meticulous on the clutch... I did a 1000 mile road trip in it also with the gears, not a problem, it just sits a bit higher at cruise.

It can (does) get expensive when you go in there... I ended up replacing a bunch of parts (inc 1-2 gear sets) so just be wary that its usually not R&P + labor time, there is almost always something "whilst you're there" someone mentioned $10k ... and thats about right.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by adi_d
I re-geared my 997.2 GT3 recently and went with the Cup 4.0 R&P. Main reason was that it is half the cost of the 3.8 street part with really minor differential between the gear speeds. As part of the process I looked at different gear ratios and again, the overall difference in max/min speed values per gear were not significant enough for change, plus changing the actual gears introduces a lot of noise (one of the main reasons cup cars sound the way they do sitting inside). Ultimately you have to look at a gear chart and do the math for yourself.

Once you are doing the re-gear project you also end up changing and upgrading many of the internal components, like switching to a steel syncro for 2nd gear, etc.,

In terms of whether it makes a difference or not would really depend on your use case and/or your expectations. For the Bay Area and our 3 tracks I found that the re-gearing was better for one track (Thunderhill), worse for the other (Laguna), and indifferent for the 3rd (i.e. Sonoma - half the track better, half the track worse), but my overall fun and engagement with the car has significantly improved. Given that I had to refresh my gearbox anyway it was a worth while upgrade for me.

If the car is primarily street driven, I think there are way better ways to spend 10K and make the car more fun and/or faster. As a step you should definitely consult with Matt from Guard and Bill from Bill Rader Motorsports, as they can give you a great view on what to expect given your individual use case.
did u say you only did 4.0 RP? if so, let's have a bet, you will open the box and regear it before end of 2020 season

Originally Posted by jeanhules
It's a slow day at work and I am planning out my next project, a .1 GT3 (non-RS).

I currently have a re-gear'd 3.8 993 and love it. Everyone says the 993 benefits from a re-gear and I concur.

That said, I am curious how the GT3 benefits from a re-gear and what the optimal ratios are. Cup gear seem aggressive, but also sound pretty fun. It will be a DE car with weekend drives.

Do I gear it for my local track? Or is there a go to ratio people suggest?

Also what are people's experience with R&P only versus R&P and gears. I will go the route of R&P and gears, but just curious if someone has experience with both scenarios.
put away $15k
have a commitment
take some heart medicine
sit down call matt at. guards and tell him what you use car for and where you drive. he will advise the right gears.

once open
steel syncro
stack the gears right based on your driving
I would not do just R&P I did it 2x. it's like instead of a fkd up left hand, you fixed that but now you have a fkd up right hand. you are still crippled.
add LSD
Adi is right, it's noisier with aftermket gears. but hey, you guys pay to buy loud exhaust. so just man up and and deal with the noise.
a properly geared box is nirvana. if you have driven a same vintage cup vs GT3 on track you will understand. gears are magic and magic is $
Old 08-30-2019, 12:22 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

What Mooty said!

I do have a set of 4,5,6 OEM .6GT3 gears (and maybe 3rd)

Ray
Old 08-30-2019, 05:33 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I regeared my 997.2 GT3 and will add the following: agree with just doing R&P leaves you with the gaps between gears—2nd to 3rd is a big drop. However when I first did this I just re-geared and kept the stock at& P. The problem is if you do that, you will end up using a different third gear. The Porsche third gear is way more durable and won’t require replacing as much as anything else you put there. So, if you go with the cup R&P that will lower everything enough that you can use your stock third gear and just re-gear 4,5,6. I found the closer spacing to be a lot of fun. I had Brian Copans out of Athens,Ohio do my work and was very pleased.

Quick Reply: .1 Regear?