997.2 GT3 RS list of best mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:58 AM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 RS list of best mods

Hi

I would like to know a little more about the must have mods for fast backroads and track use of a 997.2 GT3 RS and what problems should be solved to get better driving and reliability

I know about the hose couplers mods....

What about oem rear differential? gearbox cables? shifter? engine mounts? bushings?

Of course as any other car brakes supension or other mods can improve lap times but I would like especially to now what really makes the 997 gt3 better and what are the weak little things that can be improved

Thanks
Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 PM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

i just had bump steer (gmg and bbi sell them) kit and drop links installed. great upgrade for not much $.

oem rear diff goes pretty easily and there are several aftermarket options available such as Guard. it's a weak point on the car.

not sure what you mean by hose coupler but search for the coolant pipe issue. several options including pinning oem hoses, bbi welded hoses, and also the sharkwerks metal replacement hoses.

in my opinion side exhaust pipes are the most cost effective way to get better sound and reduce weight without sacrificing OEM manners/appearance.

and of course the best tires you can run.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:08 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chiffonade
i just had bump steer (gmg and bbi sell them) kit and drop links installed. great upgrade for not much $.

oem rear diff goes pretty easily and there are several aftermarket options available such as Guard. it's a weak point on the car.
What are signs that rear diff is going? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2019, 04:03 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

I hear the stock exhaust is not that great. Bought mine with a GMG so I can't confirm. GMG sounds great.
The following users liked this post:
gmgracing (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 04:20 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxi_z
Hi

I would like to know a little more about the must have mods for fast backroads and track use of a 997.2 GT3 RS and what problems should be solved to get better driving and reliability

What about oem rear differential? gearbox cables? shifter? engine mounts? bushings?

Of course as any other car brakes supension or other mods can improve lap times but I would like especially to now what really makes the 997 gt3 better and what are the weak little things that can be improved

Thanks
Good afternoon!

We definitely recommend installing a roll bar with racing harnesses (and supporting parts), and perhaps our GMG WC or RSR center section exhaust to get a little more enjoyable sound out of your car. We can also assist you in your efforts to make to car truly track worthy with the proper suspension setup, and recommended track focused mods to go along.

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...S-(997-2)-2010

Feel free to reach out to us with any questions or inquires you may have!
Sales@gmgracing.com / (714) 432-1582

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 08-02-2019, 08:51 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Originally Posted by chiffonade

not sure what you mean by hose coupler but search for the coolant pipe issue. several options including pinning oem hoses, bbi welded hoses, and also the sharkwerks metal replacement hoses.

in my opinion side exhaust pipes are the most cost effective way to get better sound and reduce weight without sacrificing OEM manners/appearance.

and of course the best tires you can run.
By hose coupler I meant the coolant hose pipe failure correct

Did not know about the rear differential thanks

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Good afternoon!

We definitely recommend installing a roll bar with racing harnesses (and supporting parts), and perhaps our GMG WC or RSR center section exhaust to get a little more enjoyable sound out of your car. We can also assist you in your efforts to make to car truly track worthy with the proper suspension setup, and recommended track focused mods to go along.

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...S-(997-2)-2010

Feel free to reach out to us with any questions or inquires you may have!
Sales@gmgracing.com / (714) 432-1582
I m in Europe so they already have the rollbar and harness installed but of course you are completely right on an us car it s the first thing I would do on an rs
Old 08-02-2019, 08:58 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 794 Posts

If you track semi regularly Ohlin TTX's and a CAE shifter (assuming you already welded coolant pipes)
Old 08-03-2019, 06:27 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

What about engine mounts?

Clutch?

Any other reliability mods to do other than the welded coolant pipes?
Old 08-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,074 Likes on 2,107 Posts

This is a good comprehensive place to start for looking at what you should upgrade.

As far as from my personal experience, I would definitely do an exhaust. Not going to give you power gains unless you step up to a full Dundon setup or similar, but for sound you need one.

https://www.sharkwerks.com/tuning-gu...t3rs-2010-2011
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
EMpunker (08-03-2019), FruitFly (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 12:20 PM
FruitFly
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Not going to give you power gains unless you step up to a full Dundon setup or similar, but for sound you need one.
confirmed! just swapped out to D race headers and lifetime center...the sound is so, so nice. noticeable power increase as well.

add to the list above:
DSC
wheel bearing upgrades
1st & 2nd synco and hardened steel 2nd gear (if you are going to track the car, you will beat these parts down over time, well before the LSD gives out tho)
Old 08-04-2019, 07:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

it needs no mods.
just drive it.
but if you must throw money away, let me lead the way

weld coolant pipes
guards LSD, no any other garbage.. no. doesn't matter what you hear, they are all not as good.
exhaust is fine, but if you want to be deaf, remove the mufflers
you can add toe link and such, but 997 don't have much bump steer. you have to be very very very low to have it. try drive a early 911 then you will know that 997 have virtually no bump steer.
you may want locking plates for rear toe links, so alignment stays put longer.
roll bar/ harness if you track or want too look sexy at C and C

other stuff are wear and tear, like wheel bearings, steel synchro, pads ....
Old 08-04-2019, 10:44 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

4.0 clutch as some have had the misfortune of the stock unit disintegrating. I'd check and probably wire the cam actuator bolts and consider installing a harmonic dampener. Failure of either of these things can be catastrophic, not just an inconvenience.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
it needs no mods.
just drive it.

weld coolant pipes
guards LSD, no any other garbage.. no. doesn't matter what you hear, they are all not as good.
you can add toe link and such, but 997 don't have much bump steer. you have to be very very very low to have it. try drive a early 911 then you will know that 997 have virtually no bump steer.

To The Point.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:19 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxi_z
Hi

Thanks
Everything depending on budget, but this was my list:
Pin coolant lines,
Torque the cams bolts
Change flywheel for the later 4.0 part if it's not on the record
Put a guard lsd
Monoball suspension get a cup toe link
Change the brake pucks to metal ones + pfc discs /or just do an ap radical conversion, change your brake fluid to a better one
On suspension either get a dsc box (you got to learn it) or just go full passive suspension. Nitron (team schirmer), ohlins, manthey kw, all nice choices and 1st and 3rd might supply you with very nice alignment settings.
Power wise, get some big primary headers (dundon, bbi might have something too) and a tune as well as a thick muffler with downward tips so you don't get thrown out for noise.
Oh and might think of getting a 5 bolt conversion too. CL like to fail and it's even more dangerous than the coolant pipes.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:06 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
it needs no mods.
just drive it.

weld coolant pipes

997.2 Cup LSD..better than guard

Akrapovic sport cup exhaust..best exhaust hands down, no drone. I broke every other exhaust I used

Clubsport cage in back..I like oem

Mono ball entire suspension, it makes car that much better

I still havnt pinned coolant lines on Giesha

Next two mod..bbs monoblock and ST ceramic rotors

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 RS list of best mods