Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

James Bond GT3 Upgrade.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 12:39 AM
996PIMP
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Booty Tamer

Great idea for the rubber boot install. I shall use your method to replace one I tore while installing. I hope your build goes smoothly.
The following users liked this post:
Darkstar1 (07-30-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:57 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I am used to be ejected, no worries

I do love your wooden bench top. maple?
You can wear a helmet and elbow pads when you come for a ride.....just in case !

Yes Sir.....I think it is Maple!

Originally Posted by 996PIMP
Great idea for the rubber boot install. I shall use your method to replace one I tore while installing. I hope your build goes smoothly.
Cool, be sure to only put pressure on (stretch) the thicker "sleeve" part of the boot, pull over the thin side as shown, and watch the slightly pointy parts of the circlip pilers ....as you know they rip easily when mishandled.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:06 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Well these sexy new Forgeline GA3R's arrived late Friday.....19x9et52mm and 19x12et59mm, standard silver with polished rim....Bye-bye centerlocks, you won't be missed!

I better get back to work!

Old 07-22-2019, 05:13 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Front and rear suspension reinstalled with KW Motorsport 3 way coilovers, Rennline dogbones and toe links, Tarett monoball ends and solid adjustable thrust bushings, and five lug conversion.

Next on the list to be done, install new Tarett sway bar links, reassemble the rear brakes (including the E-brake inners), and install new front StopTech Trophy BBK

Old 07-22-2019, 05:30 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

You are going to love the kw motorsport 3 ways. Just isn't much better out there.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:30 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 199 Posts

It's too bad you already bought wheels for the car, because the RE71r was the worst tire I've had on my GT3. They are garbage, they take 3 heat cycles minimum to get to full pace, and they're too peaky to enjoy. They also seem to flummox the stability system, and I had to run with the nannies turned off even for spirited street drives. 19" rear and 18" front BFG rival S 1.5 transformed the car. You might be able to fit one of the smaller 19" BFGs on the front, but if I remember correctly they are tall.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:44 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

I haven't purchased the tires, ....yet! Thanks for the heads up.

Indeed, I chose 19s on purpose. While I was planning to go with the Bridgestone RE-71R....I still need a tire that will perform street and track duties....I drive 50 miles to my track and my GT3 is my DD.

Still plenty of time to look at more options....like the more expensive Michelin Cup 2.

Any other choices?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:47 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

This will sound silly but the car was the sharpest and most progressive with the RE71r on the front axle and the rival on the back axle. This was NOT tried as a cost cutting measure or a mixed set because one wore out, it was deliberately for a handling change. I only use the car for street and autocross, and they work great cold / out of the box in that stagger. They warm up evenly, the only thing I’m not sure of is how they do when they go over the top of the temp window, I never ran a 20 minute session on them. It was definitely faster against the clock that way. The only reason I have the full set of BFGs on the car is so we can try to win contingency money. Just could never make the RE71 work on the back axle. I ran through an 8 to 10 psi window of tire pressure, and tried a majority of the bar settings and combinations.

Ive also had re11s on the car. They weren’t as fast as the RE71r but they were more progressive and more fun to drive.

Originally Posted by DJN
I haven't purchased the tires, ....yet! Thanks for the heads up.

Indeed, I chose 19s on purpose. While I was planning to go with the Bridgestone RE-71R....I still need a tire that will perform street and track duties....I drive 50 miles to my track and my GT3 is my DD.

Still plenty of time to look at more options....like the more expensive Michelin Cup 2.

Any other choices?
Old 07-23-2019, 12:20 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
You are going to love the kw motorsport 3 ways. Just isn't much better out there.
Hey Tye,

I am really looking forward to it.....thank you again.

I spoke to Joey, to get some help with the initial shock settings.

Everything should be set, tested and tweeked before my track season opener in early October.

Cheers
Doug N
Old 07-23-2019, 12:28 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
This will sound silly but the car was the sharpest and most progressive with the RE71r on the front axle and the rival on the back axle. This was NOT tried as a cost cutting measure or a mixed set because one wore out, it was deliberately for a handling change. I only use the car for street and autocross, and they work great cold / out of the box in that stagger. They warm up evenly, the only thing I’m not sure of is how they do when they go over the top of the temp window, I never ran a 20 minute session on them. It was definitely faster against the clock that way. The only reason I have the full set of BFGs on the car is so we can try to win contingency money. Just could never make the RE71 work on the back axle. I ran through an 8 to 10 psi window of tire pressure, and tried a majority of the bar settings and combinations.

Ive also had re11s on the car. They weren’t as fast as the RE71r but they were more progressive and more fun to drive.

It looks like we are each doing different types of Motorsport. I will be running 15-30 minute sessions on the track.

My intel tells me that the RE-71R works very well once up to temp"......I am going go with set and burn them up....I have no problem running with the nannies off.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJN
It looks like we are each doing different types of Motorsport. I will be running 15-30 minute sessions on the track.

My intel tells me that the RE-71R works very well once up to temp"......I am going go with set and burn them up....I have no problem running with the nannies off.
I have no problem running on a track or motorsports event with the nannies off. With the 71r I have to turn that stuff off on my way to the grocery store, which I'd rather not do. They are definitely fast, and if your driving style is just under the limit at all times, you are an alien level driver that makes zero mistakes, or you like a pushy setup then you'll enjoy the stones. If you like a car that's a little loose, or drives with the classic nuanced four wheel drift from the apex, then I would still recommend ANY tire that's not the bridgestone.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:09 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Looking good, nice work.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:14 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

I have no problem running on a track or motorsports event with the nannies off. With the 71r I have to turn that stuff off on my way to the grocery store, which I'd rather not do. They are definitely fast, and if your driving style is just under the limit at all times, you are an alien level driver that makes zero mistakes, or you like a pushy setup then you'll enjoy the stones. If you like a car that's a little loose, or drives with the classic nuanced four wheel drift from the apex, then I would still recommend ANY tire that's not the bridgestone.

Ok, more info, thanks!

So do you think the RE-71R's are just too sticky for smooth and aggressive track driving, and street? ...this what I interpret reading between the lines.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:15 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJN
Ok, more info, thanks!

So do you think the RE-71R's are just too sticky for smooth and aggressive track driving, and street? ...this what I interpret reading between the lines.
They're just very peaky. They go from hooked up and hauling the mail, to sliding with less communication than I like. Some people really like them... No one that has driven my car had anything nice to say about them. I personally disliked them enough that I thought maybe I made a mistake buying the car. If you decide to try them you certainly won't be disappointed with the speed, just user experience, and that is somewhat dependent on driving style. So your results may vary.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:54 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

They're just very peaky. They go from hooked up and hauling the mail, to sliding with less communication than I like. Some people really like them... No one that has driven my car had anything nice to say about them. I personally disliked them enough that I thought maybe I made a mistake buying the car. If you decide to try them you certainly won't be disappointed with the speed, just user experience, and that is somewhat dependent on driving style. So your results may vary.
Thank you for all of your input Sir! It is greatly appreciated.

I have plenty of time to stew on the tire decision, I don't need to pull the trigger until the first week in September.

Quick Reply: James Bond GT3 Upgrade.....