Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 wing on a 997.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 12:12 AM
Dr. Watson
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 wing on a 997.1 GT3

Sorry for the newbie question....but can a 997.2 GT3 wing be installed on a 997.1 GT3?
If so, where can a guy get one?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2019, 12:24 AM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Needs a 997.2GT3 rear bumper and taillights too (and prob so other odds and ends)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:49 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes. I took it one step further than you and went with .2 RS decklid and wing on my .1 GT3.

I don't really do photographs that often myself, but here's photographs that Impressive Wrap took when they "stealth clearbra'd" my car of my .2RS decklidded .1GT3. Paddle through the photos to see. Hit refresh if you don't see a Instagram thing in the post. Seems to work only half the time.

View this post on Instagram

What you need to do a .2 GT3 decklid conversion:
.2 GT3 Rear Wingblade
.2 GT3 Decklid

What you need to do a .2 RS conversion (like me):
.2 RS Rear Wingblade
.2 RS Wing Uprights
.2 RS Decklid
.2 RS Filler Panel (sits in front of decklid)
.2 RS Decklid Gas Rod (shorter rod ensures your decklid doesn't smash your rear window).
.2 RS or .2 Cup Intake (airbox is different).
.2 RS Decklid Wiring Harness (brake lights/system is different).

New taillights and rear bumper are not needed. My rear bumper may be different, but it's still a .1GT3 rear bumper. Just the OEM European one with the bumperette deletes, I prefer the smoother original look. My taillights are different because they are the Depo Dectanes, but those things are plug and play and shaped exactly like the stock .1 taillights. Just a more modern look with LEDs.

You can get the GT3 setup at your local Porsche dealership for about 10 thousand dollars and the RS setup for about 15 thousand dollars. Or you can hold out and hope for a used setup online like I did, and just jump on it and don't hesitate if you find one. Or you can get a replica setup from a reputable replica company like FVD or Getty. My old Getty cup decklid fit pretty decent, and I think Getty is the go-to for replica Cup decklids, and though I have not gotten any decklids from FVD, their customer service is top-notch.

Last edited by LateBraking; 06-15-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:06 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

For .2 rs you should also do rs filler panel to eliminate the 3rd brake light under the rear window.

My car is a 2007 gt3 with full .2 cup conversion

Name:  photo177.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  1.81 MB
Old 06-15-2019, 04:31 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
For .2 rs you should also do rs filler panel to eliminate the 3rd brake light under the rear window.

My car is a 2007 gt3 with full .2 cup conversion
This is correct, I forgot about that filler panel, oops. Edited my post.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:51 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

You can't obtain a new filler panel. And they are nearly impossible to buy used. You also can't get the passenger side rubber intake bellow. They are NLA and OOP. It's a super easy conversion. Here's mine.....

a non RS or Cup .2 wing is easier to adopt because the intake is the same. JBO
Old 06-15-2019, 06:11 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBraking
You can get the GT3 setup at your local Porsche dealership for about 10 thousand dollars and the RS setup for about 15 thousand dollars. Or you can hold out and hope for a used setup online like I did, and just jump on it and don't hesitate if you find one. Or you can get a replica setup from a reputable replica company like FVD or Getty. My old Getty cup decklid fit pretty decent, and I think Getty is the go-to for replica Cup decklids, and though I have not gotten any decklids from FVD, their customer service is top-notch.
Great info. Mind sharing what you paid for a used setup? Just curious for reference point
Old 06-15-2019, 06:23 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

FLT6SPD has one available for $25K I believe. The numbers you are using don't include labor and paint and prep and the cost locating NLA parts. And I believe these prices are a bit outdated. You will spend a lot more on a % basis to put one of these on your car. JBO
Old 06-16-2019, 01:21 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 293 Posts

Josh, yes that is for oem 4.0 decklid (10k), bellows (priceless), 4.0 airbox (8k), filler plate (2k), uprights ($?) and blade (6k), shock, harness and fan. those parts will find there way to the grey black or the white one.

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
FLT6SPD has one available for $25K I believe. The numbers you are using don't include labor and paint and prep and the cost locating NLA parts. And I believe these prices are a bit outdated. You will spend a lot more on a % basis to put one of these on your car. JBO
Old 06-16-2019, 01:40 AM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Howdy Mike,

Thanks for the update and congrats on the new ride. I was using $25K because having done the same thing to a much less tidy professional level than you, $15K for this type of setup is pure fantasy. That's what FVD charges for its replica kit as good as it is, excellent, the best in fact. If folks here haven't seen Mikes garage you haven't seen how to do everything perfectly. The ultimate cars parts service providers and prep. It blew me away. And as an old man I've seen everything! Congrats again!!! JBO
Old 06-16-2019, 11:52 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTSGT3
Great info. Mind sharing what you paid for a used setup? Just curious for reference point
Other posts in here are correct that my numbers did not include a filler panel, and didn't account for the fact that parts are now NLA. I paid like $8k in parts for my used setup all-in, and then paid additional for finish/surface repair and repaint of it. This was some time back when parts were still in production. Market is very different now. I don't know about "pure fantasy" but I believe you would be at bare minimum $15k in if you tried going new, not to mention pulling teeth to get parts. $8k for my setup in today's market would be pretty fantasy-like. For reference I tried getting RS front overfenders from a dealership, and I placed my order apparently just as certain items were getting flagged as NLA so while my order went through, it took me almost a year to receive them. Have realistic expectations about the endeavor.

I'd consider a FVD, or MJSpeed here on Rennlist I believe makes one too. Or just put up a WTB on the forum and just wait and see, no harm in doing so.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Yep Late. Sorry I didn't mean to come across like an a$$ but I did. I think you can piece one together used for $15K for sure if the buyer is willing to take his time. Also matters a lot on whether the buyer is willing to buy Cup parts and save on parts cost and spend a bit more on prep. Mine is a mix of both but every single piece is Porsche. I got very lucky and found the wing blade and decklid in Europe and both worked out great. The guys on the Cup board helped with my NLA bellow and filler but they cost a fortune rightly so so the buyer should look on that board as well. I'm never selling the 997 so I wanted to do it right. If the buyer is considering a 997.2 GT3 decklid / wing and can locate a used example I believe he can get it on his car all in for under $10K. The 997.2 GT3 RS/Cup setup is a different, more expensive beast, with the dual intakes etc....JBO
Old 06-22-2019, 03:06 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

Curious if anyone has any experience with the FVD .2 RS setup? Doesn't look like it's the same scenario as the 997.1 RS lid as josh was talking about (i.e. not made by a Porsche manufacturer and price obviously reflects that).

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD512997G...ibute-grp.html
Old 06-22-2019, 03:22 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

PTS is correct. The 997.1 GT3 RS decklid was a one off I commissioned through one of FVDs vendors. They added it to the FVD website after I received mine. I have no experience with the .2 economics or build quality but I'd wager, based on FVD's track record, it's the best available. JBO

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 wing on a 997.1 GT3