Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is the GT3 really that much "harsher" than a Turbo or Carrera S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Depends on the specification. I just drove 1/3 across county in the RS. Didn't have any issue with road noise. RS probably quieter than my 2008 turbo cruising at 85. I had GT2 carbon buckets in my turbo same as RS. turbo was on X73 type suspension. Not quite as firm, but not soft either. So, again, depends on specification IMO.

I don't think either is very comfortable for a really long road trip, but comfort on long trips wasn't the main incentive for purchasing either a turbo or a GT3/RS. Much better options out there if that's the primary intended use of the vehicle.
Comfort was fine. Ride was fine. Just the NVH. Big difference in concrete and asphalt...
Old 06-06-2019, 10:43 AM
simrokkzz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it is, same for the GT2

but it comfort is still a subjective impression.

I do like that the GT2 is very stiff and harsh going over bumps etc.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:56 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

A GT2 is much more comfortable than a GT3. You shift much less often, the noise is much less, you drive the car at 7/10ths on Sunday to keep up with your GT3 buddies who are ***** out. A GT2 is more harsh than a Turbo but not nearly as much as a GT3. JBO PS Here comes the flame thrower
Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 PM
David911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your replies. Since my post, I have watched some youtube videos, looked at some pictures, and driven my car again. There is just no way I want to trade mine for something with a bunch of screens and touch controls. To be honest, I sometimes miss my 88 Carrera (thought the A/C in that really limited long drives).

Anyhow, I think if I'm going to drive more than 4 hours a day, I'll have to use some sort of different car, maybe an M5 or an E63 wagon or something else that my wife will also use as a DD. The GT3 will retain its claim on my only garage space.

Cheers,

David
2008 GT3 Speed Yellow
Old 06-06-2019, 02:28 PM
PierreP3
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by David911
I'll have to use some sort of different car, maybe an M5 or an E63 wagon or something else that my wife will also use as a DD. The GT3 will retain its claim on my only garage space.
E63 wagon is an all-around great car to own and drive. should fit nicely into your situation.
also consider a 991.1 GT3. much, much more compliant on the streets than the 997. porsche did a really nice job with the 991 GT3 suspension.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:46 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Good choice, basically what I've done. No sense getting rid of it. I'd recommend a Jeep Wrangler but mine is currently sitting at the dealership for rusted frame welds at 1 year/20k miles of Southern California-only use (no snow or salt and as much rain as we get in a drought) so as much as I like the styling and practicality, I can't recommend one long term. Maybe a Macan? Those are really nice and drive very well. E63 wagons are fantastic too, there's also that Cadillac CTS-V wagon out there, and 3-and-5-series wagons too if you want the wagon practicality and a sporty drive without a need for mind-boggling horsepower., just slap a mild tune on one and call it a day maybe.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:09 AM
David911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure I need a wagon, just always thought the E63 was cool. I really like the way the Macan GTS drives, but find its rear seats to small for occasional transport of tall people.

These days, automobile electronics seem to be evolving really quickly, making leasing appealing. My impression is that BMW seems to have the best programs, is this true?

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 really that much "harsher" than a Turbo or Carrera S?