Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question: Updated Porsche Certified Model Year/In Service Years as of 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 09:02 PM
djcfuels
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Updated Porsche Certified Model Year/In Service Years as of 2019

I'm reading and hearing conflicting information regarding the Porsche Certified program and the years that make a car eligible as of 2019. Hoping someone would have better info, or recent experience. I'm looking at a 997.2 GT3 (2010, warranty start Dec 2009) and have been inquiring on the option to CPO the car.

The dealer is indicating the new program allows for cars 8 years or newer as the most up to date policy.

The Porsche website: "Current model year vehicles and those of thirteen previous model years from the original in-service date with less than 124,000 miles are eligible for the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Program". https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...rscheapproved/.

Lastly, Autotrader backs up the dealer: "Porsche's CPO program will accept vehicles up to 8 model years old, which means that some 8-year-old Porsche models are issued a full factory warranty that'll last an additional 2 years". https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...porsche-238862

Confusing things further, I just saw a 2010 CPO'd this month with a warranty start of Oct 2009 sell, https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0285/overview/

Any personal knowledge on what is correct would be helpful. Thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 08:30 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,750 Likes on 2,121 Posts

I was looking at a 2011 987.2 Spyder last fall at a Porsche dealer in Florida with only 3000 miles. When I inquired about adding CPO, they said they couldn’t since it was beyond 8 years in-service date. I was willing to pay extra for the CPO, but they said their hands were tied.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:46 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

yea, I also think that various dealerships will impose their own "will" on whether they want to go that route or not. They can make their own decisions too.

Plus, the particular Porsche vehicle you are considering will also play into that. PSMP can make a difference too. I bought a 2012 Cayenne Turbo when it was 2 yrs old, 16k miles & immaculate - essentially brand new (traded in by the original owner to the original dealership, on a new Cayenne Turbo S). The dealer had already performed the 110 point check, AND the vehicle was coming with a pre-paid (by the orig owner) PSMP (Porsche Service Maintenance Program) which gives the car a full 5 years of PRE-PAID maintenance for everything (the only thing not covered is tires. All plugs, oil, literally everything else is covered). Anyway, the dealership said they could and would indeed pay Porsche NA the $3K or so, for CPO,... but they would need to mark that up to sell to me. I did not go for it. Never needed it, and it would not have been financially advantageous.

Then, when we recently bought our 997.2 GT3,.. which had 11K miles, and was 9 years old from the date-in-service,... the Porsche dealership said they "did not want to CPO". I was comfortable with the PPI, and went ahead & bought it without CPO. Car is in fantastic shape & I do not regret it.

So to me, it appears to be somewhat subjective "depending" on various factors.

Good luck with your search.
=Steve
Old 04-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

I believe it used to be 8 years, it is now 13 years. I would go with what the Porsche website says.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...rscheapproved/

Quick Reply: Question: Updated Porsche Certified Model Year/In Service Years as of 2019