WTB: GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by fmalgapo
I have seen values for 997.1s between $79k-114k between 8k-63k miles.
I have seen values for 997.2s between $88k-121k between 8k-48k miles.

Right now the cheapest 997.1 GT3 in the country seems to be a red 50k mile example from NC - again $79k, carfax seems clean but 50k is quite high mileage.
Cheapest 997.2 GT3 is the infamous 2 owner engine replacement GT3 in Houston with from Momentum that everyone seems to pass on, although no accident history.

Ideally my budget for a .1 will be in the low to mid $80ks ideally 25k miles or less with a clean carfax and less than 3 owner prior history, good service records etc.
For .2 I'd like to be no higher than $95k with < 25k miles, again clean carfax, less than 3 owner prior history.

Is this unrealistic?
You have seen asking prices *not values*

What's your time worth? Call switchcars and see what he has a line on. Your expectations for a .1 seem maybe a little high. I think you might have more miles for low 80s. on the .2 you can probably get a really nice car for 100k, why not push the budget 5% and stop messing around?
Old 04-01-2019, 12:07 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
You have seen asking prices *not values*

What's your time worth? Call switchcars and see what he has a line on. Your expectations for a .1 seem maybe a little high. I think you might have more miles for low 80s. on the .2 you can probably get a really nice car for 100k, why not push the budget 5% and stop messing around?
Maybe i'm fickle but I remember seeing a .2 listed from Porsche of the Main Line last fall for $97k asking, clean carfax, 2 owners, PPF etc.
To me that was the baseline but I was not in a position to buy last fall.

Also, while I know SwitchCars is a valued member of this forum and I do appreciate reading his posts - it would mean pushing my budget up 15% not 5% for a car he sourced.
I just have a problem paying $110k for a 997 GT3 when a 991.1 GT3 is not much more.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Maybe i'm fickle but I remember seeing a .2 listed from Porsche of the Main Line last fall for $97k asking, clean carfax, 2 owners, PPF etc.
To me that was the baseline but I was not in a position to buy last fall.

Also, while I know SwitchCars is a valued member of this forum and I do appreciate reading his posts - it would mean pushing my budget up 15% not 5% for a car he sourced.
I just have a problem paying $110k for a 997 GT3 when a 991.1 GT3 is not much more.
You just don't make a lot of sense... $100k is too much higher than the 97k you saw at main line, but pushing from a 110k top of the market 997 to a bottom of the market 991 seems like a reasonable argument? I have to admit that the performance to dollar value proposition on a 991 was attractive when I was shopping, but I didn't want an automatic transmission for any "value". For the most part I think if you want a 997 GT3 you are not in the market for a 991, it's just not the same thing.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:31 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
You just don't make a lot of sense... $100k is too much higher than the 97k you saw at main line, but pushing from a 110k top of the market 997 to a bottom of the market 991 seems like a reasonable argument? I have to admit that the performance to dollar value proposition on a 991 was attractive when I was shopping, but I didn't want an automatic transmission for any "value". For the most part I think if you want a 997 GT3 you are not in the market for a 991, it's just not the same thing.
One must draw their limits somewhere. It's called setting a budget and sticking to it.
Yes a 997 buyer is not cross shopping a 991 but when the gap in pricing is not much more, there's no mistaking that you're buying a top of the market 997 which at best is now 8 years old technology/engineering and any future resale gain is mere speculation at this point.
As I mentioned in the beginning on f this thread, I want to be able to put some miles on the car, not let it sit in climate controlled storage to see if I can make 20% on it later, because that's what I would end up doing paying top of the market.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:46 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I apologize if my replies have been brash - I'm not trying to incite arguments over the internet as its just a waste of everyone's time.

Here is what I am seeing for the last 6 months of researching this purchase.

I have seen values for 997.1s between $79k-114k between 8k-63k miles.
I have seen values for 997.2s between $88k-121k between 8k-48k miles.

Right now the cheapest 997.1 GT3 in the country seems to be a red 50k mile example from NC - again $79k, carfax seems clean but 50k is quite high mileage.
Cheapest 997.2 GT3 is the infamous 2 owner engine replacement GT3 in Houston with from Momentum that everyone seems to pass on, although no accident history.

Ideally my budget for a .1 will be in the low to mid $80ks ideally 25k miles or less with a clean carfax and less than 3 owner prior history, good service records etc.
For .2 I'd like to be no higher than $95k with < 25k miles, again clean carfax, less than 3 owner prior history.

Is this unrealistic?
.1 may be achievable, .2 nope unless its got a storied past. Also, your rule on the amount of owners is worthless
Old 04-01-2019, 01:50 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
.1 may be achievable, .2 nope unless its got a storied past. Also, your rule on the amount of owners is worthless
So what should I expect to pay for a driver .2 GT3 without a storied past?
Also re: # of owners, I guess I'd be ok with 3 owner cars but why is that worthless?
Old 04-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Also re: # of owners, I guess I'd be ok with 3 owner cars but why is that worthless?
1.High 90s
2. These aren't Honda civics, and they aren't necessarily trading them because they are lemons or unmaintained. I don't like to think of cars as art, but would you care how many people owned a painting before you bought it? Condition and records are more important than number of owners.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:18 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Mid to high 90's for a 997.2 GT3.

As far as owners, I never got that concern. Who cares? I know Rennlist cars that have been passed between members with each member caring for the car equally if not more than the previous owner. Meanwhile I know 1 owner cars that have sat with only basic maintenance being done.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:24 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

OK good feedback, i'll adjust my budget accordingly and be more liberal about # of owners.
Looking forward to being an owner of one of these amazing cars soon.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:32 PM
machschnell_RS
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Mid to high 90's for a 997.2 GT3.

As far as owners, I never got that. Who cares. I know rennlist cars that have been passed between members which each caring for the car equally. Meanwhile I know 2 owner cars that have sat with only basic maintenance being done.

I don't get it either. I'm the 6th owner of my 7.1 RS I purchased 6 years ago with 2000 miles on the clock. The car traded hands 3 times the first year - flippers. Sold to the 4th owner in OKC with around 153 miles on it. The 5th owner bought it from a Barrett Jackson auction with about 1000 miles on it. He used it as a weekend fun car in Wyoming. The car had never been tracked before I bought it with zero over revs, and still zero. The car checked out as "like new" when I had a PPI done locally prior to purchase. The car has nearly 10,000 miles on it now, tracked occasionally and has been flawless. I wouldn't let the number of owners be a limiting factor in my search provided the car checks out.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:13 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Frank, How about we take a specific example,.. that you've probably already looked at...

It doesn't have the light weight buckets you wanted. But it's 2nd on your want-list for color,.. and you mentioned that 50k miles is way too much,.. and this one is almost to 22K miles.

And with asking price of $92K. It's a .1 - maybe with negotiation it comes down to just below $90K? High 80's seems to be in your budget range.

For this car, I don't know whether good DME, good carfax, PPF and/or coolant lines pinned. & a downside might be whether maintenance history is known for this car.

... but let's hear what puts this car either "in-the-running",... or "out" & here's why..."

https://www.cncexotics.com/detail-20...-17518627.html

we can keep looking for examples out there,... once we narrow the field.

just to put myself into your perspective,... I went through the exact same search as you (finished with a purchase about 8 months ago). The search took me 1.5 years. It took me some months, but the search itself helped me narrow it down to exactly what I wanted,.. then it was just a matter of looking (every single day), and waiting for the right one to "pop".

Best of luck. The fun is in the journey.
=Steve
Old 04-01-2019, 03:21 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Originally Posted by bweSteve
... but let's hear what puts this car either "in-the-running",... or "out" & here's why..."

https://www.cncexotics.com/detail-20...-17518627.html

We can keep looking for examples out there,... once we narrow the field.
I appreciate the post but why do I feel like you want to have an argument vs. a helpful discussion?
I can say right off the bat that I have not yet seen this car, however I thought I already established I wanted to be in the low to mid 80s for a .1

Further inspection will definitely be required but judging by the listed price and the internet price, I highly doubt they'll accept an $85k offer.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:28 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

wow,... and here I thought I was writing my words gingerly, and with sincerity. Definitely NOT looking to have an argument.

I really thought my post would be sincere & helpful,.. especially since I "thought" $89K was not that far off your mid 80's high point in your range.

I am sorry it was not received as well as I hoped. I will stop.

Again, best of luck in your search.
-sigh-.
=Steve
Old 04-01-2019, 03:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

u have a very broad question
my broad answer is $90
option
cilor
.1/.2
all matters
.1never came with buckets. most seller will take them out sell separately. bucket prices range from 6-12000

.2 generally commands more all else equal

many had LWFW and coolant pinned. together about $10 parts and labor. most seller will want to recuperate some of that and both are good mods and U WILL WANT PINNING

if u narrowed it down more in ur search im sure members will help more; some members on the board has had more gt3/rs than most dealer had ever sold. they may know a few things.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:35 PM
TurboTim14
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 405
Your preferred color? Yes
Sport chrono? Yes
Less than 25k miles? Yes
Roll cage? Yes
Good dme report? Yes
Less than 3 owner car? Yes
Service records? Yes
Doesn't appear to be "museum quality? Yes
Price = high 80's, but I would think mid 80's is a very realistic offer.

Everything you said to be looking for in your posts...

Quick Reply: WTB: GT3