Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2nd gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:15 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts
Default 2nd gear issues

Got a question. In 2nd gear on my 7.2 3RS, it pops out of gear half the time when I let off the throttle. Shop says we should pull out the transmission and send it off to replace 2nd and of course, while we are at it, we should go through the whole transmission. Overkill or necessity? I'm not mechanically inclined. Something about bad 2nd gear synchro?! TIA
Old 02-26-2019, 10:50 AM
ugotgrossed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Formerly Known As: 2008whitegt3

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

how many miles on the car? maybe bad synchro? do u track?
Old 02-26-2019, 11:47 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

I was tracked before I bought it. 12k miles. I was told when I bought it that they thought the synchro was bad. Of course, I don't know what that means. Still in the transmission and has to be pulled out to be replaced I assume? So that's when the question always comes up "well, why we have the transmission out, we might as well go through it..... ". haha.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:12 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
I was tracked before I bought it. 12k miles. I was told when I bought it that they thought the synchro was bad. Of course, I don't know what that means. Still in the transmission and has to be pulled out to be replaced I assume? So that's when the question always comes up "well, why we have the transmission out, we might as well go through it..... ". haha.
Well the transmission has obviously a ton of moving parts, seals and other things that perish/get loose/wear from use, vibration, etc. No way to really know until you open it up and take a look. I would estimate that a normal service for a transmission refresh would be about $3000-4000 which includes opening up the transmission and replacing the perishable parts and worn syncro. It would not include the actual labor to remove or install the transmission back in the car or to upgrade certain components, such as using a cup car steel syncro in 2nd gear (that would be an additional ~$1000).

At 12K miles it seems like poor shifting by the previous owner. As a reference point, my car had 47,000 miles and 52 track days before it needed service.

On the bright side you would be getting a brand new transmission back basically! Good luck and enjoy the process.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:59 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adi_d
Well the transmission has obviously a ton of moving parts, seals and other things that perish/get loose/wear from use, vibration, etc. No way to really know until you open it up and take a look. I would estimate that a normal service for a transmission refresh would be about $3000-4000 which includes opening up the transmission and replacing the perishable parts and worn syncro. It would not include the actual labor to remove or install the transmission back in the car or to upgrade certain components, such as using a cup car steel syncro in 2nd gear (that would be an additional ~$1000).

At 12K miles it seems like poor shifting by the previous owner. As a reference point, my car had 47,000 miles and 52 track days before it needed service.

On the bright side you would be getting a brand new transmission back basically! Good luck and enjoy the process.
The bad side is the transmission shop my mechanic wants to send it to (California Motorsports) told him expect up to 5 weeks. OUCH. Maybe I'll just keep driving it this way.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:03 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

The bad side is the transmission shop my mechanic wants to send it to (California Motorsports) told him expect up to 5 weeks. OUCH. Maybe I'll just keep driving it this way.
Yes, availability can be an issue. From my experience, the process took about a week. Two days to ship the transmission, two days to open/work on and close the transmission, and two days to ship back. This of course assumes no parts need to be ordered and the shop has the capacity to start work immediately. There are quite a few shops that can do the work, you just have to pick one you like, or let someone pick that you trust.

You could definitely keep driving as-is based on your use case (?), but with lose/worn fast moving parts the longer you wait the more pricey it can get down the road. It is definitely one of those bigger maintenance items.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:04 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Shoudnt your mechanic be able to do the job?? If he can’t, then why are you taking his advice on where to take it? Phoenix is a big city with other reputable shops. Look into Boreham Motorsports.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:08 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Send it to Cervelli at CTSR or Copans. I'm pretty sure Cervelli could turn it in a week or so of receiving it. He's in Denver so pretty close from a shipping perspective. He's built several gear boxes for me and always flawless work.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:24 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

I sent my transaxle out of my 997.1 RS for a R&P exchange (to 3.89), as well as having a new taller 6th gear installed by CMS. Great shop. They installed a second gear detent device for exactly the reason you stated (although mine never popped out, they are known for this weakness). It was very reasonable for the part, but no idea how expensive to install if not going inside the transaxle for other reasons. Labor for CMS to pull the transaxle apart and install the aforementioned parts was around $2K. Good time to get that worthless Porsche LSD rebuilt properly with Guard components if you yank the transaxle out. Of course that opens up the options of replacing the clutch components and RMS while in there. It can get expensive. By the time I was all done and set, I was in for about $12K.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bill Rader Motorsports also does the boxes
Old 02-26-2019, 03:59 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi,

Go to: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...nsmission.html and in post #11 and search for "this is the part that was replaced when the trannys were jumping out of gear..."

This part has been the cause of the tranny popping out of gear esp for the turbos.

With my experience and transmissions, budget $10-$15k, replace anything that is worn, the motorsports steel synchros will last longer, but cost ~$1000 each. Rader is very well regarded, as are the 2 that Powerhound mentioned

good luck

Ray
Old 02-26-2019, 04:38 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill Rader Motorsports Is recommenced by Guard to do LSD too..
Old 02-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

All 3 the finest reputation
Old 02-26-2019, 05:01 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

rbhar- bowdown. amazing transmission thread
Old 02-26-2019, 05:16 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"With my experience and transmissions, budget $10-$15k"

If you get anywhere near this price, you can get a new OEM one directly from Porsche.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear issues