Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

9 Year Anniversary Gift

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:56 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 9 Year Anniversary Gift

After 9 years of ownership and faithful service I decided my car deserved the gift of some real TLC. I sent it off to have the original 3M film removed (nightmare apparently), have it color corrected, a couple of chips fixed and one paintless dent removal and then wrapped it in new film and the whole thing ceramic coated. I'm in love all over again. Can't really tell from the pics but it came out beautifully.

Prior to this car I was always looking for the next best thing however with this one I've never found anything (affordable) that I'd want to replace it with. Well, except a 997.2 GT3RS. I've come close to pulling that trigger a couple of times but I may be over that now. We'll see.

Here's a then and now

January 2010

January 2019

Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 AM
greymanR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!
Old 01-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

She's looking good!

I did the same things with my GT3 before I put her away for Winter storage. It's amazing what a little TLC can do to the paint.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:39 AM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks awesome. I did the same last year to my previous white 997.1. Worth every penny. Enjoy
Old 01-23-2019, 11:46 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

Delete
Old 01-23-2019, 01:31 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

BartN, When you say: "the whole thing ceramic coated"...what does that mean? I have a 3M film (12 years old) on my 997.1 RS pumpkin, but am unaware of a coating (?) that goes on top of the film. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:12 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
BartN, When you say: "the whole thing ceramic coated"...what does that mean? I have a 3M film (12 years old) on my 997.1 RS pumpkin, but am unaware of a coating (?) that goes on top of the film. Thanks in advance.
This is a liquid coating applied over the entire surface of the car, including the new film. It's supposed to bond to the surface permanently. It's 'allegedly' a much tougher coating than waxes and last a long time.

Here's a link to an explanation from a supplier (I didn't use them) Ceramic Coating

I had 12 year old 3M film as well. It was yellowing and generally showing it's age even though the car has spent almost no time left outside and only has 18K miles on it. I'm sure you notice it more on a white car. My installer said it was a HUGE pain getting it off and that had I waited a couple more years it would've cost me $$$ because it would have completely deteriorated making it brittle and requiring literally hours to pick it off small chips at a time.

Last edited by BartN (TX); 01-23-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:25 AM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Looks great!

What happened to the Cypress trees?
Old 01-24-2019, 01:29 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
Hey Jim,

CeramicPro has a new product (introduced over the summer) called PPF. My belief is that it is a slightly softer ceramic that works well on top of film (verses the 9H hardness rating of their "9H" product that is put directly on paint). In other words, if the 9H product has a hardness rating of 9,... (& I had head that the very hardest rating was 16, which would be like the hardness of your ceramic plates in your kitchen),... then the PPF product is probably down around 5 or so,... which would help it be more flexible since film is sooo much softer than paint, and film kinda moves with the car. ie, you would not want your film to start cracking after putting a ceramic over it.

I've got CeramicPro on several of my cars, as well as NanoBond that I have DIY on some older DD'ers. On my prize possession '91 964 Turbo, which has a single stage solvent based paint (no clear coat) from the early 90's, I had the CeramicPro Gold package installed, which gave me 4 coats of the 9H product, and it literally transformed the paint, filled in all the lows, and locked the paint in. That was 2 years ago, and I literally have not had to do anything to keep it shining like crazy. Well then last year I had XPEL Ultimate put over top of that 9H, and then also had them put the new "PPF" ceramic over top of the film. It basically just gives the film a better degree of scratch protection,... as well as some hydrophobic properties,... although I also think they also put their "Light" hydrophobic product over top of the PPF.

for my 997.2 GT3, which is a much better paint & clearcoat, when the 9H was applied, it was much harder to tell that it was there. The clearcoat was so good to begin with, that putting the ceramic was more for my own peace of mind against scratches & swirlmarks. Next up will be film for that car (I've only owned it for 3 months now),.. and yes I will have them put the CeramicPro PPF product on over top of the film, plus "Light" on top of the PPF.

Anyway,... I hope that helps.
=Steve
Old 01-24-2019, 07:15 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMpunker
Looks great!

What happened to the Cypress trees?
Lol! Very observant. They grew to about 20 free talk and looked beautiful. Then got some kind of fungus and died.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:52 AM
p0pey
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great. Who did you take it to?
Old 01-24-2019, 11:10 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by p0pey
Looks great. Who did you take it to?
Thom Pettigrew
Pro-Tect Mobile
www.pro-tectmobile.com

Used Suntek Ultra film for
o Full front clip
o A-pillars
o Leading edge of roof
o Mirrors
o Headlights & Turn signals
o Rocker Panels and leading panel before rear wheel

Old 01-24-2019, 06:18 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Great looker! Ceramic coating will change your life. Washing is a breeze.
The mortar/tuckpointing on that brick is driving me crazy though!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:21 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
The mortar/tuckpointing on that brick is driving me crazy though!
Definitely a love it or hate it effect. Since we built it you can imagine where we fell on the fence :-)

Old 01-24-2019, 11:44 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Looks great. Have a bit of a twin myself to yours.
Just so I get it, you are applying plastic film to protect the paint, then coating the plastic film to protect the plastic film - is that correct?

Quick Reply: 9 Year Anniversary Gift