Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Let's talk BAT (Bring A Trailer) pricing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Let's talk BAT (Bring A Trailer) pricing

I'd like some opinions on how accurately BAT pricing is when determining market value of a used GT car. I have had some discussions where a dealer is using a BAT selling price to determine pricing on trade but yet somehow doesn't want to use a BAT selling price on their car. Has it become the new "blue book"? Is it the only way to really asses actual market selling price? At the end of the day it's the delta between the two cars that determines the deal but I find this very interesting. Thoughts?

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 01-17-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. I'd say there aren't enough data points. They can be a "guide" but I wouldn't take it as the Gospel.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by jkfuel
Interesting. I'd say there aren't enough data points. They can be a "guide" but I wouldn't take it as the Gospel.
My thoughts as well. There was a 10k difference on what we thought the trade was worth based on BAT and it turns out he was 20k too high on his car based on BAT pricing. It’s not the gospel but people need reference points to start negotiations...
Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 PM
silviaks
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

BAT cars are sold under and above market. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 01-17-2019, 09:11 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by silviaks
So it’s more a case of individual cars and very subjective. Thanks-
Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair

So it’s more a case of individual cars and very subjective. Thanks-
What are you trying to sell? I'm sure if you post it, you'll have a general idea. Overprice it and it will sit, under price and it'll be sold in hours. Best of luck either way!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:33 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

BAT is a data point, not the end all price guide.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:01 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by silviaks
This

Problem with auctions is they are forced sales which could be good or bad.

Personally I think the concept of buying something like a car (no matter the price) over the internet with a shot clock is insane. I would never, and have never considered cars being marketed this way either. eBay I used to have the same thoughts when that was popular.

When I buy second hand cars I am buying the seller as much as the car, this takes that ability away from me. When I am selling a used car I want to make sure the people know what they are getting.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:44 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1
This

Personally I think the concept of buying something like a car (no matter the price) over the internet with a shot clock is insane. I would never, and have never considered cars being marketed this way either. eBay I used to have the same thoughts when that was popular.

When I buy second hand cars I am buying the seller as much as the car, this takes that ability away from me. When I am selling a used car I want to make sure the people know what they are getting.
Agreed. When it comes to GT cars, I think the majority of buyers want the opportunity to at least get a PPI, DME report, etc. That's difficult to accomplish with a 7 day auction window, especially if the car is not local, seller is busy etc.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:36 AM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BAT is 'fun' to watch but has so many downsides. Same with any online or in person auction format. Unless of course the item/car is 'one of a kind' or the buyer knows the car, the seller, etc. Rarely any great deals with all of the exposure/popularity of BAT these days.

Few if any of the GT cars i've seen listed are really unique. They look nice but lots of other places to look for them for sale. And remember that buyers 5% fee..................
Old 01-18-2019, 12:39 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Thanks all. Agreed on all accounts. The faceless tilt to BAT doesn’t make any potential buyers more comfortable. All one has to do is remember how we need to feel about about a used car when buying. I want the history, the story, a great owner. My question has more to do with someone using it as a negotiating tool.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:45 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Auctions are a part of the reality of the GT world. 5 years ago it was tough to get a PTS CGT into a Monterey auction. However it's something we have to deal with whether we like it or not. Lots of us probably have a couple cars that we know of or slipped through our hands or have been tracking forever. If you aren't skilled at handling auctions are you gonna lose that car? The problem with GT cars is there are too few of them to create an efficient market. But I think we all know pretty much what price a car will fetch. And like the other fellow said just list a car and put a price on it based on the data you have. If it's too low it will sell quickly too high and it won't move. The best auction tool for determining pricing of items with high enough sales volume to create an efficient market is eBay closed auctions. Not sold items. These are compelling cars that with too high a reserve but active bidding. It's the most effective tool to find out real market pricing. Also read Sports Car Market and make friends with specialty dealers in your local market. If you have a great relationship with your Porsche dealer used car manager he'll give you low wholesale. All of those data points should give you a good picture. I know the founders of BAT. Good people. I believe there is a slight BAT premium on the whole because they select the cars that they allow to be auctioned. It's not the eBay all comers model. Pricing is something that takes active buying and selling lots of data points and flexibility. Pay more to get a good car applies. Best Josh
Old 01-18-2019, 02:54 PM
pors9
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Has it become the new "blue book"?

Not even close for the cars we are talking about. You need many more data points than they can provide. They are just another source for data points - which may or may not be usable.

To understand real market values takes a lot more understanding and analysis - and not only just of an individual example but of that model and the overall marketplace ... read our Scottsdale 2019 auction forecast as an example.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:07 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1
This

You are a wise man, because you think like me!
Old 01-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Ginnmillracing
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I’ve bought and sold a number of cars on BaT dating back to when they launched (pre-auctions). Today, it certainly provides a lot of exposure for the seller. Probably better than any other enthusiast venue that I can think of. And boy, can it eat up lots of time on a boring afternoon at the office!

Successful sellers post detailed ads, great pictures, documentation and are responsive to the audience. That’s no different that posting on RL, PCA or anywhere else.

There are plenty of trolls, but that too is no different than the rest of the internet.

For buyers, BaT’s success has certainly made deals harder to come by. As with any car purchase, buyer beware. It’s important to do your due diligence, PPI, put your own eyes on the car etc. If you are in the market and looking beyond your drivable radius, you better have some trusted, local sources to evaluate on our behalf or be ready to jump on plane to see for yourself.

Then it comes down to who else is in the room and who wants it the most. I’ve sold cars on BaT for twice what I thought they would go for and I’ve had some go RNM.

Enough preaching…you all know this. Mr. Adair asked about the accuracy of pricing on BaT. I’d say that overall BaT pricing winds up being a pretty good gauge for the market. Yes, there are outliers as some have mentioned. Hard to generalize why those exist. It’s usually about the car itself, but the ad, timing and the seller’s tone and responsiveness play a big role.

Again, that is the case for a RL ad or a Craig’s List ad. Problem is, we don’t know where those private transactions trade. So, as a negotiating tool BaT does provide some concrete results. The fact that the dealer you mention is using it to his advantage and not giving credence to your BaT data point, well…dealer….why would you expect anything but that? LOL

BaT actually has a function that I think gives some good data on their sales/RNM. If you click on GT3 it will graph the results. If you hover over each dot you can see the car and click through to the listing.

https://bringatrailer.com/search/gt3+rs/

Last edited by Ginnmillracing; 01-18-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Let's talk BAT (Bring A Trailer) pricing