Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Coilovers: So many choices!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Vetch
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Coilovers: So many choices!

I'm converting my car to a track-only (just DE's) vehicle and I'm starting with the suspension. So many options to choose... JRZ, Moton, Ohlins, KW, etc. The JRZ RS2 coilovers look promising since they have a good reputation and fit my budget for this. It also seems like their turn-around time to rebuild is fairly quick. Ohlins have been around for a long time though and you don't often read anything bad about them.

What coilovers did you put on your track-only car?

Last edited by Vetch; 01-07-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:11 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Tractive (my current ones and they're phenomenal)
KW (Manthey)
Öhlins

Don't know your budget...none of those are considered inexpensive.* We have installed all of these in client cars and honestly no complaints.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

MCS (from the US guys previously at Moton) is very good. your real question is how are you at suspension setups? Do you know how to adjust for bump and rebound properly? What about nitrogen pressure settings? And then 3 way or even 4 way adjustable? Do you know hi speed from lo speed bump? Had a customer with track cayman decide to get a set of JRZs he installed himself. He was able to a best be 2 seconds a lap slower than his previous setup. You cant buy experience so dont buy too much....
Old 01-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Vetch
Racer

I've not done any suspension work other than OE R&R. I do have an alignment set up in my shop. I've done quite a bit of other work though... have rebuilt a M64 engine from the ground up. Not long ago, I dropped a 997 TT engine to install/pin Sharkwerks coolant fittings for a friend. With the engine out, I also did an EVOMS clutch slave, Sachs clutch, new water pump, and some other smaller stuff. The problem is that I have no reputable shops anywhere nearby so I do a lot myself and for a couple of wealthy older southern gentlemen in my area.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Tractive (my current ones and they're phenomenal)
KW (Manthey)
Öhlins

Don't know your budget...none of those are considered inexpensive.* We have installed all of these in client cars and honestly no complaints.
Budget is about $5500. With all the other parts going into the suspension, I'm not sure of that though as I'm still gathering numbers at this point. Tractives are way out of my league.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

$5500?
stay with oem
Old 01-08-2019, 01:07 AM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
$5500?
stay with oem

On a funny side note, I dont think That will even buy a new set of OEM shocks.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Stick with Bushing upgrades and solid mounts.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:23 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetch
I've not done any suspension work other than OE R&R. I do have an alignment set up in my shop. I've done quite a bit of other work though... have rebuilt a M64 engine from the ground up. Not long ago, I dropped a 997 TT engine to install/pin Sharkwerks coolant fittings for a friend. With the engine out, I also did an EVOMS clutch slave, Sachs clutch, new water pump, and some other smaller stuff. The problem is that I have no reputable shops anywhere nearby so I do a lot myself and for a couple of wealthy older southern gentlemen in my area.
Good on you for being a DIY guy.
I think what viper bob is saying is that just because you / I can R&R parts, that doesn't mean you / I know how to set them up to achieve goals.
We have to pay / barter for that expertise.
Not having a local resource would be challenging.
My suggestion?
Decide on a preferred vendor / shop.
Buy some consultation time regarding your current state and goals.
Decide if you have the budget to make an appreciable difference towards those goals.
If yes, buy the goodies, DIY the install and alignment.
Test with data logging
Review data / revise setup (More consultation time?)

Have fun

In my experience, buying and DIY'ing stuff can be fun.
but
I've also come the conclusion that for most of us (me too), Porsche knew better about hardware & setup (for the mass consumer) that I do.

Cheers

Craig
Old 01-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
$5500?
stay with oem
I'm seeing KW's for $3700 to $4000, Ohlins for $3800, JRZ RS1 for $5200.
What am I missing here?
Old 01-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by cgfen
Good on you for being a DIY guy.
I think what viper bob is saying is that just because you / I can R&R parts, that doesn't mean you / I know how to set them up to achieve goals.
Craig
I completely agree. And I hope it wasn't coming off as if I'm sort sort of d1ckhead with a superiority complex. I do know of a race shop that is 120 miles from here but I'd rather install them myself (because I enjoy that sort of thing and because I trust myself) and then hope for the best in getting them to tune the setup and alignment. I don't have much choice since I know I won't be able to do the initial set up. However, once I get it done, I can trailer it back home, take measurements, write them down, and then start tweaking as needed after some track time.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:23 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

There are SO many adjustment points and nuances on these cars that just swapping parts may or may not produce the expected results. Yes it's science, but also some art and experience to ensuring everything is 'right'.
The reality is that Ohlins, KW, Moton, MCS, JRZ, Tractive, Penske, etc etc all make great products.
But, making them work as the system they are (ie your suspension), isn't always plug and play.

For the Ohlins, I assume those are the DFV R&T single adjustable. I had those on my car for 4 years. They are good shocks. Quite a step up from OEM, but, the front rates on the included springs were too soft and the splits not right to the rear. I also had to have the fronts adjusted nearly full stiff. Now the rest of my setup is full monoball and I run on R Comp tires (not slicks) on the track. So while good, for an aggressively driven car I think they have some limits. I've since got Ohlins TTX 2 ways on the car and they are substantially better. Like, 2 seconds faster consistently with all other variables the same. That added that level of confidence to the car. Shockingly good.

Another data point, I had KW Clubsports installed with custom spring rates on my 964 .Hated them. Ready to rip them off and install Ohlins. But, just like a bad plumber blames his tools... I had the car re-aligned and setup (with new front spring rates) and the car drives awesome now. Really great F/R damping and control/balance.

Point being: choose a good product, ensure everything is working as a great system.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:58 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
There are SO many adjustment points and nuances on these cars that just swapping parts may or may not produce the expected results. Yes it's science, but also some art and experience to ensuring everything is 'right'...But, making them work as the system they are (ie your suspension), isn't always plug and play.
Right. I get that. See what I wrote one post up from yours.
But thank you for the comments.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

With you buying a decent set of coil overs, what else are you going to add with that extra $1800-2000? Coilovers will help to a degree; but bushings, monoballs, solid mounts, drop links, sways, lock nuts, top mounts all make things a lot better and cost a fair bit. The prior are all rudimentary items. It can get crazier than that....

Honestly mate, we’ve been there with the mindset that one item is a game changer only to learn there’s a lot more to it. Yes, there are ways to skin the cat, but don’t take what we’re saying as being ill gotten/informed. We’re trying to help you not make mistakes we’re privy.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
With you buying a decent set of coil overs, what else are you going to add with that extra $1800-2000? Coilovers will help to a degree; but bushings, monoballs, solid mounts, drop links, sways, lock nuts, top mounts all make things a lot better and cost a fair bit. The prior are all rudimentary items. It can get crazier than that....

Honestly mate, we’ve been there with the mindset that one item is a game changer only to learn there’s a lot more to it. Yes, there are ways to skin the cat, but don’t take what we’re saying as being ill gotten/informed. We’re trying to help you not make mistakes we’re privy.
I appreciate your thoughts. Perhaps my original post was too short. I'm planning on adding bushings, monoballs, new LCA's, control arm bushings, front toe links (bump steer kit), rear upper dog bones, and several other items as well (over and above the $5500 limit for the coilovers). I also already have a bunch of Tarett stuff on the car including drop links, toe links, camber plates, rear toe locks, etc. Sways are also on the car already (GMG front and rear).

Quick Reply: Coilovers: So many choices!