Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 RS 4.0 is and will be the queen ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Could have sworn I just read a good article detailing all RS variants from Carrera RS to present.
997 4.0 appears to be the acme of the line - before and after.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:09 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

What are the actual mechanical differences btw 3.8 and 4.0, apart from the extra 0.2L? If it’s just the 0.2L, then the 3.8RS is a huge bargain given the price diff.
When I bought my 3.8 a few months ago, I was looking at 4.0s as well. I had several guys I know that had owned both that told me "don't waste the money. the 3.8 is 97% of the 4.0". So far, I'm very happy with my choice of the 3.8. My plan was to drive it for 6 months while I waited for my new 3RS to arrive. My RS will be here in 30-45 days and I have decided to keep the 3.8 as well. It's a fantastic car.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wurlie
That is an interesting opinion from someone who has presumably driven both.
I find the extra torque as well as the different suspension settings make a major difference in feel. Whether that is worth the price differential is an individual choice, however the cars do differ in a meaningful way.
Best, w
Well I am lucky enough to have one (as per pic earlier in this thread) and I was able to drive the other a fair amount before getting the car I have.

A thread here did detail some suspension differences that would show up I agree. However that's part of my point, the 3.8 could be fitted with the 4.0 parts to get similar handling - for a fraction of the price difference to the 4.0, you could get someone who really knows what he's doing to fit a set of motorsport level dampers and the car would then be even better than the oem 4.0.

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
Or it could be that it is and will remain the greatest driver's car of all time...

It's still a big premium to pay over what might be the second greatest but it's quite a thing to have and they're not making any more of them. For me the driving pleasure is foremost but it's also having a piece of history.
Yeah but you're making my point (thanks!) the 'piece of history' is in the plaque as I said...

P.S and the 4.0 good as it is and it is excellent simply isn't going to be 'the greatest driver's car of all time' imo. Not even close.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'll take my manual in a 964 platform and PDK ontrack, but the 4.0 was beautiful while it lasted.
The engine was as good as the new 4.0 but I preferred the handling of the 997 3.8RS at Sebring...

Good times

Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

@ TurboFreeFlat6 - If you don't mind, Ques: What year & month was that article in the "911 & Porsche World" ?? ... I went looking but could not find.

... great conversation guys. We each have our own vice, and use our own experiences / past&present ownerships to make the comparisons!!

TIA,
=Steve
Old 01-14-2019, 07:24 PM
Astrix
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ thx, BBS five lugs monoblock
Thanks @mooty it is usually hard to improve on most of the OEM wheels! This is an exception
Old 01-14-2019, 07:52 PM
eXpensiveGears
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims

lol I like that one
a subtle poet, mooty is.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:57 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bweSteve
@ TurboFreeFlat6 - If you don't mind, Ques: What year & month was that article in the "911 & Porsche World" ?? ... I went looking but could not find.
I don't have it with me at the moment (I have the photos of the pages on my laptop) but will be able to look for it in a couple of days.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:06 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by isv
Yeah but you're making my point (thanks!) the 'piece of history' is in the plaque as I said...

P.S and the 4.0 good as it is and it is excellent simply isn't going to be 'the greatest driver's car of all time' imo. Not even close.
I meant the peak of driver's car development as a point in history. The production numbers are irrelevant (to the point in history, not the price).

What do you think are the greatest driver's cars and why? (It's not a challenge, I'm just interested like I was to hear comparisons with earlier RSs.)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 139 Posts

If I were in the market I'd probably opt for a 3.8 and send it to Sharkwerks for the 4.1 conversion.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:43 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon_
If I were in the market I'd probably opt for a 3.8 and send it to Sharkwerks for the 4.1 conversion.

Incredible car but that ends up being even more expensive than buying a 4.0 unless maybe the donor 3.8 has been wrecked or engine blown up/ money shifted; then it makes total sense.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:36 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by hf1
What are the actual mechanical differences btw 3.8 and 4.0, apart from the extra 0.2L? If it’s just the 0.2L, then the 3.8RS is a huge bargain given the price diff.
It's not just your average 0.2 L increase: +50 hp = 250 hp/L. Changes over the RS 3.8 include GT3R/RSR crankshaft; modified titanium conrods; tougher chain tensioner; reinforced cam adjusters; different heads, intake plenum, airbox and air filters; stronger clutch; ball-jointed lower rear links; helper springs; different spring and damper rates and toe and camber settings; carbon bonnet and front wings; dive planes; more rear wing angle and bigger, re-profiled endplates; perspex rear quarter windows...

It still doesn't justify the price difference now but it certainly did when new. Now it's limited supply and high demand like any collectable. The 3.8 is much better value but if you can afford the 4.0 and it will hold or increase your money, why not enjoy the extra it offers? Let's not get into an endless, unresolvable discussion of value like on the 991 R vs 991.2 GT3 threads.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Incredible car but that ends up being even more expensive than buying a 4.0 unless maybe the donor 3.8 has been wrecked or engine blown up/ money shifted; then it makes total sense.
Why do you say it would be more expensive?

A good 3.8 is about 180-200k and the 4.1 from Sharkwerks is 60k. So you're at 240-260. A good 4.0 is over 400. What am I missing?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:59 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

I currently own a 3.8 and a 4.0. I’ll try and summarize a few of the differences I notice while driving. Keep in mind I’m no race car driver, just a weekend warrior
The 4.0 seems more nimble, more willing to change direction at any time. The steering feels noticeably lighter along with the clutch pedal. The dampers actually feel more compliant or better suited for the road than my 3.8. The throttle is more of a factor in steering the car, for example when I come off the throttle the front end will immediately turn in more aggressively in the 4.0. And of course the added torque. You can give it throttle at any rpm in any gear and you feel noticeably more power. All of these things and more that I can’t think of, make the car exponentially better than the regular 3.8. When you have a car that is as incredible good as the 3.8 and you can make it even better in terms of power and handling while making it a little lighter with more downforce, it is an incredibly powerful result that can’t be judged only by the sum of the added parts. And then there’s the sound the car makes, it’s even sweeter than the music of the 3.8. It’s a hard one to explain but I even had a friend who owns a GT3 drive my 4.0 and he was amazed at how this engine sounds. I guess it all depends on what your budget is. If you can swing it, the 4.0 is a hands down winner. With that said, I still can’t let my 3.8 go because it is different and still so good in its own way.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:38 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Great to get a comparison from someone who has both. I've not driven a 3.8. What are its unique characteristics that make you want to keep it?

Do you have / have you also had a 997 3.6 RS? I've had a drive of one on a good road but it's tyres were so old and slippery that its hard to make a comparison. The amount it would understeer and oversteer with the throttle on the dry road was great fun but very different to the way it would drive on fresh tyres. The 4.0's steering and gear shift is heavier and the increase in engine performance and quality and volume of sound is massive. The interior finishes give the 3.6 more of a track car ambiance, which is cool. The 4.0 still has some of that thanks to the cage and harnesses but feels a much more expensive exotic.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS 4.0 is and will be the queen ?