Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 01:00 AM
Pilota
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Getting serious about a 997.2 GT3

Greetings and Merry Christmas
New to this forum but not to RL
I have enjoyed the expert opinions shared on the forum and have decided to dive in with my question

I am thinking of adding to the stable of P cars
Have a 2015 Targa 4 S ( daily driver ) and 2017 Boxster S ( brides car) both PDK Love them both
Do modest amount of track DE but active with our local PCA for drives
Love the club and the fun with the cars

Been toying with GT3 991.2 but can't deal with ADM
Came across a few 997.2 cars that seem like a great drivers car with a wonderful engine
I hear that the 997.2 GT3 is more of a handful compared to the 991 GT3 but it appears that there is great love for this car and cost is more approachable for me
Have my eye on this one at Isringhausen
https://www.isringhausen.com/Invento...tockNum/783346
What should I look for as I do my search?
Last 3 pedal car I owned was a F355 GTS then shattered they left leg in 2011 . Fully recovered with good leg strength so clutch should not be problem
Car would be for fun aggressive driving and hopefully more track time
other option is a 991.1 GT3 with PDK

Thank you kindly for viewing this question
Shaq
Old 12-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Jon H
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks like a nice car, I recently bought a 997.1 GT3 (after selling my GT4) and really like it.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:40 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Centerlock wheels on the 997.2 gen would be the only thing giving me a stop especially if if will see some track time. An unnecessary addition of bling and pain, but there are 5lug conversions available. Very happy with my 996.2 GT3. Good luck with your search!
Old 12-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 187 Posts

I just bought a 997.2 GT3 this winter. I've only been able to put about 300 miles on the car while the roads have been clean and dry, but so fair I love it. It's on a short list of the best cars I've ever driven. The clutch pedal is pretty heavy, and it makes the clutch in my cummins pickup feel light by comparison. I'm also not a fan of the center locks, but that was the price I paid to get the 3.8.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 556 Likes on 273 Posts

Morning..

You can see from my signature the range of cars I have owned. Some quick thoughts:

-Center lock issue not as big of deal if you are prepared to deal with them
-The car is raw. Feels like a race car every time you get into it..
-Even short drives are extremely fun and an occasion
-The car is alive, sounds etc.
-Drives over three hours will feel a little taxing (depends on the person of course).
-Especially if it has a bypass or mods
-Fits like a glove
-Maintenance has been minimal
-Pay attention to the usual 997 issues, coolant lines, diff.
-Maybe the best mix of old and new left from Porsche
-Get a real PPI. Not a quick $100 100 point check that takes an hour. The all day $350 PPI is the way to go

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2018, 12:39 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
-The car is raw. Feels like a race car every time you get into it..
This is the only thing I don't agree with, and I'm guessing it's part of the difference between the GT3 and the RS. I've been really impressed with how tolerable the base .2 GT3 is. It very much feels like a real car that you could let a normal person take to to the store with little issue. Personally I wouldn't have any interest in a 911 that was more plush than a regular GT3, for any reason. Some time I would like to experience an RS to see how much sharper they are.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:09 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
This is the only thing I don't agree with, and I'm guessing it's part of the difference between the GT3 and the RS. I've been really impressed with how tolerable the base .2 GT3 is. It very much feels like a real car that you could let a normal person take to to the store with little issue. Personally I wouldn't have any interest in a 911 that was more plush than a regular GT3, for any reason. Some time I would like to experience an RS to see how much sharper they are.
i agree with that sentiment. The standard GT3 probably knocks just enough of the edge off the RS. It’s been awhile since I have driven a .2 GT3.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:18 PM
08TTAPEXNC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.leithporsche.com/used-Ra...AC2A97BS783491

I have been looking at this one at Leith Porsche in Cary. My wife told me if I buy it I'll be sleeping in it...

As I don't think the seats would be comfortable for sleeping I was forced to pass, but it's definitely a car worth looking into.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2018, 04:25 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

This one just came up on BaT. Salvage title (crash at VIR) but looks like an excellent repair, refresh, and mods by Autometrics (great GT3/Cup shop) -- even has the 5-lug wheels conversion. Curious to see how the auction ends:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-14/
Old 12-27-2018, 04:31 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
This one just came up on BaT. Salvage title (crash at VIR) but looks like an excellent repair, refresh, and mods by Autometrics (great GT3/Cup shop) -- even has the 5-lug wheels conversion. Curious to see how the auction ends:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-14/
What's your gut on that car? I think the salvage title hurts it bad, especially since it brings into question financing and future insurance problems. I think it could be all over the place. If I had to throw a number on the BAT auction I would guess $75,000 reserve not met.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:35 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 664 Posts

OP Pilota, I agree with all of Mr Adair's comments,.. and I'll throw in some of my own "take aways".

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
... Personally I wouldn't have any interest in a 911 that was more plush than a regular GT3, for any reason.
We just bought our .2 GT3 about 3 months ago, and absolutely love it. We were comparing against our 1991 964 Turbo (which has thrilled us for the last 15 yrs). So the comment from AutoWerks (above) is something I have a different angle on.... I agree for the most part, that any non-Porsche-Motorsports car is probably considered a more "plush" car (like Turbo's),... but when you jump back to the generation of Widow Makers,... with zero nannies,... I take opposition. The 964 Turbo has much of the same visceral thrill that our .2 GT3 does,... and some would consider the 964T more "plush".
We love them both now, and will alternate between them.

But since AutoWerks chimed in with his difference to "race car feel" (which btw, Mr Adair may have been using that comment in regards to his .2GT3RS,.. -vs a regular 3),... I'll add that my wife & I went the GT3 route, verses GT3RS, specifically because we are street drivers (PCA Chesapeake region Club drives, Parade events, AutoX, etc),... and we did not want the LWF, nor LWBS, & other aspects of the RS,... (we definitely enjoy & prefer the 14 way with heat too for those colder mornings, esp when doing long weekend multi-day event drives. She drives them just as hard as I do Btw)...

But with regard to whether that specific car is a good deal or not:: ... It appears the MSRP on that car is light (lower than typical), and thus, in this current market, a $119k price point seems a tad high to me, given 16k miles. But it probably just leaves some room for negotiation. Couple thousand should do it (given PPI all checks out).

https://rennlist.com/forums/vindecod...AC2A99BS783346

I CAN also say THIS with enthusiasm & passion,... I drove a LOT of 991 variants,... and NONE of them could hold a candle to the 997 GT3 (well,... to be fair, a MUST-HAVE was the manual tranny,... so newer 2014-17 991 GT3's were not even on the table,.. and we were having a tough time finding the right manual 2018 991.2 GT3). It took us about 1.5 yrs to find the one we bought. Patience is a hard thing to hold onto during that time.

GL with your search & purchase. Oh, I also think that the exhaust note that any particular car has, ends up being a big differentiation. We put a Sharkwerks bypass on ours & it really enhanced our experience.

and since folks are giving their opinions on CL & PCCB's,.. we have them on ours, and I love the setup. Bought the alignment tool, torque & breaker bar,.. and LOVE messing with them in my garage (which also means that track day pressure to deal with them is not really an issue for me).

Btw, my .02,... for the same $119k price,.. the Leith car appears to be a better deal.
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 12-27-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:21 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Unless you have some amazing canyon roads nearby, or you plan to track the car, I wouldn't consider a 997 GT3. They are amazing cars, but they are not for the faint of heart. And if not used as intended, the qualities which initially draw you in (the rawness, etc.) could end up being the same qualities which push you away. At least that was the case for me. But as I said, they are amazing cars and I do plan to add a 997.2 RS in the near future.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by WantA997
Unless you have some amazing canyon roads nearby, or you plan to track the car, I wouldn't consider a 997 GT3. They are amazing cars, but they are not for the faint of heart. And if not used as intended, the qualities which initially draw you in (the rawness, etc.) could end up being the same qualities which push you away. At least that was the case for me. But as I said, they are amazing cars and I do plan to add a 997.2 RS in the near future.
About as accurate of a summary as you can get right there. Where you fall after you have driven one is usually split right down the middle. About half feel it’s absolutely the hard core feel they are after and half say I’m really glad I drove it, man is that thing awesome but I sure couldn’t live with it daily. These comments are generally related to RS’s but do not assume 997 GT3’s are pussycats because they aren’t! I highly recommend a solid hour in the car before purchase minimum..

PS. I drove my 997RS to Rennsport from Mpls. That will give you a new perspective on comfort and drivability
Old 12-27-2018, 09:35 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
...that thing awesome but I sure couldn’t live with it daily.
None of the Mezger GT cars were made or intended to be "dailies". Few 1hr back-road drives per week. Some track. Like a good single malt scotch -- you don't drink it by the gallons.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:06 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
...We just bought our .2 GT3 about 3 months ago, and absolutely love it. We were comparing against our 1991 964 Turbo (which has thrilled us for the last 15 yrs). So the comment from AutoWerks (above) is something I have a different angle on.... I agree for the most part, that any non-Porsche-Motorsports car is probably considered a more "plush" car (like Turbo's),... but when you jump back to the generation of Widow Makers,... with zero nannies,... I take opposition. The 964 Turbo has much of the same visceral thrill that our .2 GT3 does,... and some would consider the 964T more "plush".
We love them both now, and will alternate between them.

bweSteve...I am with you! I drove my 964 Turbo 3.6 yesterday and that car is a whole more squirrely and out of control than the 997GT3RS which I drove today. 997GT cars are just refined enough, and not too much.

But to my amazement the old 964 shifts better than the 997 which shifts like a Mack Truck, and the 997 flywheel/clutch setup has the beautiful rattle and buzz...
My 930 has a basic open style exhaust and it throws foot long flames in overrun and scares Prius drivers...
I think that these cars are all awesome. Can't go wrong with any of them...

Quick Reply: Getting serious about a 997.2 GT3