Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Release lower ball joint??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 12:42 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Release lower ball joint??

I'm trying to get my front uprights/hubs off and all is actually going ok.
I screwed up the steering rod ball joint, as that was stuck too, but I was replacing that anyway.

BUT.... I'm really having issues with the lower ball joint. Damper is out, nut is free and I'm trying to hammer down on an extension rod attached to a socket sat on the nut of the ball joint. I have supported the hub with a jack. But hammering away, nothing moves or releases.

Any ideas of how to separate this without using ball joint separators which destroys the ball joint boot???

Name:  photo660.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  1.77 MB
Name:  photo354.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  1.60 MB

- also, on a separate note: Can I use any coilover adjustment wrench for the dampers or do I need a specific Porsche wrench?
Old 12-26-2018, 03:14 AM
Neptunes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try soaking over night with pb blaster.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:35 PM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Unbolt the lower control arm from the cross member and remove the upright and LCA as an assembly from the car. Support the upright with the LCA hanging down in a vise (I use a B&D wood vice to avoid scarring the upright). Thread the nut partially back on the LCA ball joint to protect the male threads. Insert an aluminum or brass rod into the shock cavity so that it resting against the LCA ball joint stud. Smack the rod smartly with a 10 lb sledge hammer and it will pop the ball joint free.

I changed the front wheel bearings on my 997.2 GT3 several times using this technique.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:46 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!!
Gonna try that. Came up with more or less the same solution. As I'm bringing the upright to Porsche to get the bearing pressed out, I might just bring them the full assembly.

Interesting though is the tool that Porsche uses for the job, which might be doable to make yourself. Just can't figure how to make the triangular support up against the shock clamp.
See attached.

Name:  photo940.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  276.1 KB

Any thoughts on getting the bearing out without a huge workshop press?
How much force is needed and would I be able to get around it without a large 5-6 ft press?

Quick Reply: Release lower ball joint??