Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS 4.0 and GT2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 09:08 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKRS
Jerry Seinfeld's 4.0 is a damn good looking spec. Thoughts on that spec vs standard 4.0 spec?
I'm sure you've read all the comments in the other thread, but I'd personally prefer the typical painted hood, alcantara interior, striped spartan build. Unique no doubt though.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

The 4.0 is by far the more visceral and transparent. The 2RS is insanely fast, but much less analog. If sound is an issue (it is for me), the 2RS sounds a bit like a Hoover. I also am very fond of the 997.1RS as it has more chassis than power. That relationship is reversed with the 2RS.
The following users liked this post:
HarmonyJim (04-05-2024)
Old 11-04-2018, 06:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

The best car that Porsche has ever made is the CGT- we can go back and forth on the 73 RS or the 550 spyder etc but there is no "almost CGT" like there is with the 1974 MFI or the 356 Speedster 4 cam Carrera GT engine...

The CGT is the boss of bosses.

However the cars in question are 4.0RS and GT2RS

I would take the 4.0RS despite the 2RS being faster and more rare. There is just something about the lightness and loudness of the 4.0 that make it the best stick shift 911 that Porsche has ever made. I have owned a few and only ever sold them because I needed the money to fund something else...never because I tired of the car. I think they are fantastic and TONS of fun, sketchy etc.

If anyone is selling one, let me know. I love scratching that itch.

The GT2RS is a great, insanity-mobile. 600hp. Ridiculous speed does not always translate into fun, as the car is really not dramatic in the same way that the 4.0 is...it's actually terrifyingly fast for a 911. So, if ultimate speed is your thing, get the 2RS. If noise and coordination of elements are the key to you, then the 4.0RS is the ultimate.
The following users liked this post:
ByeEnzo (04-05-2024)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:07 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Well said. I'm jealous of all you multiple 4.0 RS owners. I only had one RS and it wasn't a GT2 or 4.0. Lots of really great comments in this thread. JBO
Old 11-04-2018, 08:20 PM
BLACKRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CGT is a work of art.. the engineering and design are flawless and compliment one another impeccably.
Is it the best car ever made? Possibly. But where do you draw the line between good and too good? -I personally think the CGT crosses that line.
When I say that, I mean for me.. -VERY subjective thing.
My driving skills are not even close to driving the CGT at even 7/10, and my driving style doesn't fit as well with the mid-engine layout.
I am not at all insinuating that a 4.0 is easy to drive. But the dynamics of the 911 spark me differently than a mid-engine car. Does anyone else get that too??
Having driven a 997.1 GT3 extensively with the Exige S, I'd be spending my money on a 911 than a CGT (if I could afford one).
Comparing a CGT to an Exige is daft and foolish, yes.. but for now that's my POV.

Now, GT2 vs 4.0..
If the 4.0 is 10/10, GT2 is 9.2/10 in my experience.
Driving the 997 GT2 (non-RS) for 6 days in Munich during June was a very unique experience. The lag is something that does itch a bit until you get to boost, which is something I've never confronted with the GT3. The boost is extremely addictive, but I find that instant throttle response is more enjoyable in a very different way.

I have my mind made up for the 4.0 right now, but am still very tempted by the GT2 RS. Tomorrow, that could change..
Old 11-05-2018, 01:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_H
The 4.0 is by far the more visceral and transparent. The 2RS is insanely fast, but much less analog. If sound is an issue (it is for me), the 2RS sounds a bit like a Hoover. I also am very fond of the 997.1RS as it has more chassis than power. That relationship is reversed with the 2RS.
accurate. btw, it was great pleasure to meet you in person at ATL PEC. wish we had time to discuss architecture in addition to Porsches.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

If anyone is selling one, let me know. I love scratching that itch.
If noise and coordination of elements are the key to you, then the 4.0RS is the ultimate.
E-man is selling his black RS4.0

Originally Posted by BLACKRS
The CGT is a work of art.. the engineering and design are flawless and compliment one another impeccably.
Is it the best car ever made? Possibly. But where do you draw the line between good and too good? -I personally think the CGT crosses that line.
When I say that, I mean for me.. -VERY subjective thing.
My driving skills are not even close to driving the CGT at even 7/10, and my driving style doesn't fit as well with the mid-engine layout.
I am not at all insinuating that a 4.0 is easy to drive. But the dynamics of the 911 spark me differently than a mid-engine car. Does anyone else get that too??
Having driven a 997.1 GT3 extensively with the Exige S, I'd be spending my money on a 911 than a CGT (if I could afford one).
Comparing a CGT to an Exige is daft and foolish, yes.. but for now that's my POV.

Now, GT2 vs 4.0..
If the 4.0 is 10/10, GT2 is 9.2/10 in my experience.
Driving the 997 GT2 (non-RS) for 6 days in Munich during June was a very unique experience. The lag is something that does itch a bit until you get to boost, which is something I've never confronted with the GT3. The boost is extremely addictive, but I find that instant throttle response is more enjoyable in a very different way.

I have my mind made up for the 4.0 right now, but am still very tempted by the GT2 RS. Tomorrow, that could change..
the 4.0 is MUCH harder to drive than 4.0. I drive both on a very familiar road over and over
CGT goes sideways more often.
it's skittish even going straight.
it really needs a LOT LOT more downforce.
places (straight) where I would buried the throttle on 4.0 and hit way way illegal speeds, would not do the same in CGT.
the engine in CGT has no peer. the suspension on CGT is well.. half cooked. but that is the fun part. bring diapers.

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
Or you can do what I did when I got tired of the never ending carnival ride of Porsche special models that I had to buy to maintain my spot at my dealer.
oh is that how you get on the preferred list of the worst dealership in usa.
u know I don't set foot in that **** hole since 2010.
I am dropping the mic now b/c I can go on all all night about Carlsen, and as you know, it takes a lot of fk up to **** me off
Old 11-05-2018, 03:16 AM
BLACKRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh don't get me wrong, I COMPLETELY agree that the CGT is madness on wheels..
Almost two years ago I was passenger in a CGT and my guts were being played with and kicked like a damn football.. Driver wasn't even using half throttle and we were sliding like on ice.. Yes, mooty.. diapers were my first thought after the thoughts of meeting the almighty..
My point is GT2 and GT3 RS are more drivable in general, and if you want to put a diaper on you can.. but you have that choice.
..CGT - you always need a diaper.. maybe even two if the driver is a complete nut.
Less HP = wider range of sensitivity, no? I can push the GT3 to the batsh*t crazy point, whereas the CGT is in a constant state of batsh*t crazy.
I take my hat off for anyone that can handle that thing.. and for those that couldn't but had the stones to try!
One day I'll be ready for the CGT, that's a promise!
Old 11-05-2018, 05:27 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

mooty your issue with the CGT is that you bought one with potentially leaky suspension or just needs shocks rebuilt.

this is a pretty essential thing to do on ANY 15 year old car.

with serviced/ rebuilt shocks and new tires the CGT handles like a dream and does not skip or bump anywhere near as badly as the regular one will with dusty and cracked or empty canisters.

the shocks are actually not that expensive - similar to replacing your RS car with Ohline or something but the labor is kind of a bit%#
Old 11-05-2018, 06:52 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

^^^^interesting feedback. I'll keep that in mind on mine. Right now it's just parked, unused, in storage unfortunately, but once I'm reunited with it, I'll give thought to the suspension resto idea.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:49 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pondering these two….
Old 04-04-2024, 01:24 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Plastique999
Pondering these two….
Lucky man! Here is my take...if you are keeping the 16m, I'd go 2rs. Just a totally different experience and bonkers straight line speed and torque. I love my scud/3.9l gt3 pairing, but they are alike in many ways (high revving, na, loud, not much torque), that I think I'd like the contrast of a different experience, and one that would be more suited to roadtrips with the wife!
Old 04-04-2024, 02:02 PM
Plastique999
Banned

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Lucky man! Here is my take...if you are keeping the 16m, I'd go 2rs. Just a totally different experience and bonkers straight line speed and torque. I love my scud/3.9l gt3 pairing, but they are alike in many ways (high revving, na, loud, not much torque), that I think I'd like the contrast of a different experience, and one that would be more suited to roadtrips with the wife!
so it’s been a while… sold 16M and now have a Speciale.
Also have CGT, curious to know how GT2RS compares to CGT in driving experience.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:06 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Plastique999
Pondering these two….

Here’s my take…NA all the way…drove mine to work the last two days. Triple black.

View this post on Instagram
Old 04-05-2024, 09:17 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,995 Likes on 2,276 Posts

I may be willing to let go of my black 4.0L at the right price....
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
Plastique999 (04-06-2024), Tombstone4478 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 03:08 PM
Plastique999
Banned

Bid on this… no sale to 505k

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-gt2-rs-21/

Last edited by Plastique999; 04-11-2024 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply: RS 4.0 and GT2 RS