Help us build the ideal 2-car quiver

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:38 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Help us build the ideal 2-car quiver

Hi everyone,

I need opinions! My wife and I are both enthusiasts, but we are also both fairly conservative with money. She has a 40 to 50 mile commute each day, and I am at around 36 miles. I am lucky enough to be able to title cars with only an $86 reg fee (no sales tax), and therefore we can try new things and see what we like and don't like.

Current car situation:

GT4 in RY with buckets
997.2 C4S manual coupe
M4 manual Yas Marina Blue
2012 Tacoma double cab
2005 Tacoma access Cab (mostly a work truck)

My wife loves the GT4, but I think we should get something more special; GT3 997.2 is pretty much my dream car. She loves commuting in the GT4 when she can (days when she doesn't have to drop off kiddos at school). Other times, it is usually the M4. I drive the 997.2 or the Tacoma.

I would like to get down to 4 vehicles (including my work truck). She would like to get back into an open-top car, and although she loves the M4, I think that is probably the first to go. It depreciates like mad and gets poor MPG, although it is a looker. She has been spoiled by previously owning a base 991, and now the 997.2 and GT4. She is also open to a lower-level Cayman (no Boxster, it doesn't look mean enough for her), and she likely prefers a gen 991 cab (or Targa). I want to make sure we have a performance car: either the GT4, or spend a little more and get a clean but higher-mileage GT3. Maybe the 4th car is a low-cost hatch like a Mazda 3, but I think 2 P-cars are in the mix. One REALLY needs back seats or it won't get driven much, which is why we can't go GT4 and say, a 987.2 Cayman S (which is an awesome DD). Last caveat: we want as much performance for as little money tied up in cars as possible (say, no more than $160k on the 2 cars). When the kids get bigger, the econo-box commuter will have to be swapped for a bigger SUV, but I am trying to avoid that day. They still fit in the Access Cab Taco, and having a truck to throw muddy cyclocross bikes and gear into after a race certainly is nice.

Here are some options:

More expensive car
keep the GT4
Sell the GT4 and get a GT3
Forget the GT idea and get my wife a very nice DD (nice build 991 cab or Targa, probably a GTS)

Cheaper P-car
Base 991 cab (Targa will be too much $)
Cayman S (987.2 if patient, or perhaps 981, in conjunction with a 4-seat 911)

3rd car: sporty somewhat econo-box

4th car: older Tacoma Access Cab (super cheap to own!)

Really, the crux comes down to whether to keep a GT car and get a 911 cab, or get a more expensive 911 open-top variant and get a sportier 2-seat car. And, if we go GT car, I am torn between the GT4 and a GT3 (which I don't have extensive time on and don't know if I will like better). The GT4 gets tons of attention, is a great build, and could be sold for what we paid for it. A GT3 is a much different car, but a bit more expensive to purchase upfront and likely to insure. If we are lucky, perhaps we can get in 3-4 track days a year. I am not sure how much of a "downgrade" an enthusiast-spec S or GTS would be either. Even my 10-year old 997.2 4S is pretty darn sharp compared to most everything else out there; some of us get spoiled sometimes and don't realize how good even a base 911 or cayman is.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

7.2 GT3/RS and an aircooled hot rod. That's what I have and I don't think I would change anything other than swapping the aircooled for an aircooled turbo.

I like cars that I don't care about to DD, but might be going Raptor shortly. I would add that to your list if you want a sporty truck
Old 10-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the expensive car category, a 997 GT3 will not be nearly as nice to drive around town. Stiff clutch, rougher ride, noisier, older interior, etc. It’s definitely a car you need to test drive before buying to make sure it’s a good fit for you.

As for a sporty econobox, Focus ST or Fiesta ST are terrific cars in their category. I had a Focus ST for a few years as a daily driver and it was a great car.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:49 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

981 spyder. Your wife gets her open top and you get a "sorta-gt4" experience.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:46 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The joys of 1st world problems..................lol

Option 1:
Sell the GT4 and M4 and get (and this is what I'm considering) a 991 Targa 4 GTS, or a Targa GTS if she's not a fan of AWD. Can be driven daily, for weekend fun, and on the occasional track day

Option 2:
Sell the GT4 and M4 and get a 981 Spyder (as one poster above mentioned) and a M2. This would fall in the same budget (approx.) as getting a new Targa 4 GTS and give you a great all around daily in the M2, alternating with one of the most iconic drop tops. I have a LBB M2 that I drive a good bit, and it's a fun car that does a lot of things very well. In addition, I would expect more Spyders to become available soon as they announce the 718 version.

And btw, this is coming from a fellow long suffering Raiders fan.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:01 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

pare it down even further to 3. With this approach you'll always have 2 cars that take kids, 2 cars decent or great in nice weather, 2 cars decent or great in winter weather

997.2 Gt3 RS
e90 4wd BMW 3 series (you can comfortable take the kids on a 12 hour trip with luggage in winter and it's fun-ish to drive). Also you won't care about dings, etc.
Pickup with crew cab

Bonus: cayman if you really want it.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:56 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Too much mental gymnastics. I’m in a similar situation but I have a short commute for now.

i have a 997.1 Gt3 that never gets driven, a F80 M3 that is my wife’s fun car, a F87 M2 that’s my daily and a 2010 Prius that the wife drives to work most days.

Quick Reply: Help us build the ideal 2-car quiver