Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Signing off

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018 | 02:13 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jonwb
19.3MPH avg over 108mi & 11,600 feet of elevation. I hate you

I've only been to Japan a few times. Very interesting country. I was surprised how few people spoke English, even at hotels in Tokyo. But I certainly respect the pride most take in almost everything they do. Even the little things like when you order a breakfast sandwich at McDonalds and it comes to you like it's ready for a photo shoot. Everything perfectly prepared and perfectly lined up. Then they give it to you like it's a gift they made for you. A bit different than in the US. Also, even though smoking is pretty common over there, you almost never see a cigarette butt on the ground. They usually put the butt in a little pouch that goes in their pocket 'til they can dispose of it. Litter in general is very rare to see.
I love Japan! A bike is the best way to see the countryside. Plus, if you are out in the boonies and bonking, there is always a vending machine roadside with coffee and condensed milk for 90 yen that will get you back on the road again. I am not as fit anymore, but at that time, I was putting in 20+ hour weeks and racing at a very high Cat 1 level and more than hold my own against guys who were getting paid to ride bikes. Now, like most middle-aged dudes with other hobbies and a family, I am happy with 10 hour weeks!

Here is the route if anyone is interested. The mountains near Oita are nearly devoid of cyclists and cars. These climbs hit you in the face: they only do switchbacks on rural roads if absolutely necessary.

Old 10-08-2018 | 11:27 PM
superfast02911
Rennlist Member

Enjoy your next journey, Enrique! We moved from CA in July, and definitely miss a lot of it, especially the great car people such as yourself. Thank you once again for your assistance with parts when “necessary”, and wish you the best.
Old 10-13-2018 | 01:41 AM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Yep! Jeff JBO
Old 12-27-2018 | 09:36 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Thank you all for the kind words.

I thought it would be much harder to obtain a Japanese drivers license however it's quite simple when you know the right people.Or make friends

Japan has been awesome. I do not miss California at all. Well maybe just the Porsche's. But that's not California.

I have to be in California (ugh) early January for a few days - then off to Switzerland / Germany for work. Anyone in Japan / Switzerland or Germany- please feel free to ping me. Would love to meet and get some drinks !

P.s. I'm in Nagoya, Aichi prefecture. Home of Honda and Toyota.

My primary source of transportation is my feet + JR. I have been averaging ~280 KM walking on foot a month.
Old 12-27-2018 | 09:47 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^I lived in Nagoya for 1-year '89 and then Shinagawa (Tokyo) for another year and then a million trips there all the time.
In Nagoya I was in Toyota city learning the early manufacturing methodology, in Shinagawa I was learning Japanese $business.
I bought a Honda CB1000 and rode it every where, and fast. The cops would always forgive the dumb foreigner (me).
...still have many friends...great place...and tons of Porsche people by the way. Tokyo still has a large hardcore Porsche community.

Last year I was eyeing a "Senna" NSX, I think that I sent photos to Mooty.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-28-2018 | 01:27 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Igooz
^I lived in Nagoya for 1-year '89 and then Shinagawa (Tokyo) for another year and then a million trips there all the time.
In Nagoya I was in Toyota city learning the early manufacturing methodology, in Shinagawa I was learning Japanese $business.
I bought a Honda CB1000 and rode it every where, and fast. The cops would always forgive the dumb foreigner (me).
...still have many friends...great place...and tons of Porsche people by the way. Tokyo still has a large hardcore Porsche community.

Last year I was eyeing a "Senna" NSX, I think that I sent photos to Mooty.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you !
Sound's like you had tons of fun ! Thank you for your write up. It matches my experience thus far.

Yes, when i drive without a local drivers license, i speed ~200kph in motorway. Baka Gaijin is what they will say. Anyhow my driving test is coming up soon. I'll be "legit" and will have to "slow down".
I love this place. Besides a handful of grapes costing $40 bucks but you better believe they will be the best grapes you ever had, it's not a bad place and overall "cheap" compare to SF Bay area.

I have my own apartment for work 10 minutes from Nagoya station, I pay ~$1000 USD including all utilities for a 38 SQM place. I roll over and i'm in Sakae. I just need to get the 3 with my loud exhaust over here to be a degenerate to society.
Old 12-28-2018 | 10:50 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey F1CrazyDriver,

Sorry I am late on saying the well wishes. I will miss working with you on the neat projects and hope our paths will cross on a future project. Be well.

Best Regards and Happy New Year,
Tom

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 12-28-2018 | 11:36 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

38 sqm!! I don’t miss that!
By the way, you are going to find some great LHD euro cars imported into Japan and I am sure that you will be tempted to buy one and bring back.
Old 12-28-2018 | 01:37 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Japan would be a blast. They have an insane car community. I bet you'll have a BLAST. I wish I could join you. I'm over California.

Anyway best of luck and Happy Holidays. If you do come back I'd love to join the grab a beer group

​​​​​​​Best Josh
Old 12-29-2018 | 01:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Will be in Tokyo in June, we didn't get there this new years. Hmm... maybe need to convince wife to do a side trip to Nagoya :-)

I too love Japan, and compared to CA, especially outside central Tokyo, cost of living is reasonable. And the FOOD. OMG the food. True care in it. A japanese grocery store, or one in a dept store in the basements at the train stations, drool worthy. The thing i dislike is the weather in tokyo area from about april until october. Rain and/or hot/humid. Summers are brutal to this SoCal coastal native.

Ok enjoy your osechi at new years, i'm off to market to get for the wife. See how nice I am? I buy cars, but keep her fed. Happy wife happy life. LOL
Old 01-07-2019 | 12:16 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

This is a timely conversation.
Sorry to hijak, opp. Thanks for your contributions!
My wife and I are headed to Tokyo and Kyoto for the first time in early April.
I'd LOVE some advice on car related destinations that I can squeeze into our itinerary.
I have a thread started in the 'off topic' section too:
https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...and-kyoto.html
Any and all advice is welcome and very very appreciated.

Quick Reply: Signing off