Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Remove wheel carrier and damper

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:46 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remove wheel carrier and damper

Im about to replace front dampers and wheel bearings. Dampers due to leak into the front axle lift system, bearings due to annoying clicking sound on thrack.

i can’t seem to find a guide to remove these things. A lot stuff is different from a standard 997, which I can find a bit of info on.

Anyone seen a guide anywhere?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2018, 07:02 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Front dampers are relatively straight forward:
Remove under tray plastic between the front control arms (if yo don't, you'll crack the under tray when you swing the control arms down)
Disconnect front sway bar (need greater range motion on the control arms to remove the struts).
Loosen pinch bolt on front upright to loosen damper
Hold damper while removing strut mount bolts (3x) or Just remove the nut at the top of the strut. The latter requires an impact tool, I don't think there are wrench flats on the strut piston.

Replacing bearings are a bit of a pain. I tried an "on-car" removal tool and ended up damaging one of the uprights on my car. I ended up buying a new upright and took them to my local Porsche dealer to have the bearings replaced.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:28 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds straight forward! Thanks!

- I’m not pushing the bearings out myself. Thinking I’ll just take the hub carrier to Mr.P to push them out to avoid breaking anything.
guessing that will be easy to disconnect..

Quick Reply: Remove wheel carrier and damper