Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stock diff for track use

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 02:14 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Stock diff for track use

How long will the stock diff hold up to track use?

besides developing the coolant issue at my first track event with the gt3, it looks like my diff is cooked too... Just wish I realized this when my motor was dropped and the coolant lines pinned!

Btw, I autox in scca stock class so no upgraded diff for me...
Old 08-22-2018, 03:28 AM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

It doesn't last... get onto Matt @ Guard Transmission and get the rebuilt kit for the OEM unit with his new friction plates and belleville spring washer, the GT2 ramps are worth getting also (a must really)

The good news is, you can do it without needing to drop the transmission, you can drop the carrier out the side of case once you remove the cover plate and axle etc.

A good mod that transforms the car dramatically!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:53 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure you have a tech put the Ramos in correctly!!! My car the guy put them in backwards and ruined the entire diff. I replaced with complete unit from Gard. Make sure you get the right bolts from Gard- you CANNOT use the stick bolts to install it- they are not long enough and won't hold it. (Ask me how I know)

Gard diff is the bees knees
Old 08-22-2018, 08:59 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

It lasts a hand full of track days if you drive hard before it is cooked. OEM spec is like 5-15Nm of break away torque... If you aren't allowed to upgrade, just have it re-tightened, can be done without dropping transmission as previously stated. Had my standard diff re-tightened to 35Nm, has been solid since...
Old 08-22-2018, 10:57 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
It lasts a hand full of track days if you drive hard before it is cooked. OEM spec is like 5-15Nm of break away torque... If you aren't allowed to upgrade, just have it re-tightened, can be done without dropping transmission as previously stated. Had my standard diff re-tightened to 35Nm, has been solid since...
Yes, assuming I do hard driven track days, it will only last 3-5 events?

Also does retightened mean it does not need to be rebuilt?
Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Stock diffs are garbage. Many were rendered useless early on. Some rebuilt using Matt's (Guard) ramps or some did the full monty and went with full Guard GT2+ Pro. We've done both and the GT2+ Pro is significantly lighter but the ramps work plenty well for most drivers. I have a GT3RS diff with brand new Guard ramps (50/80) available. Or you can contact Matt directly.

For transparency sake, we are a reseller of GT's products.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:57 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by balefire
Yes, assuming I do hard driven track days, it will only last 3-5 events?

Also does retightened mean it does not need to be rebuilt?
Correct, it can last as few as half a dozen track days as there is so little break away torque dialled into the unit. Mine fried after a skidpan day where it got a good work out..

My unit was dropped out of the trans (by the head of motorsport at local dealer) and the disc pack was re-shimmed from memory to increase the breakaway torque. The disc pack was hardly worn at all. He chose this over going with a cup car disc pack to keep the car streetable. The re-tightened unit has been going strong since for the past 5 years...
I am based in Australia so getting an aftermarket unit was going to keep me of the street for too long. If your events don't allow you to upgrade to a better unit like the guard unit, this might be an easy fix.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:45 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

stock diff dies after a couple of track days.

contact GT....

Quick Reply: Stock diff for track use