Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help diagnosing oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 02:07 AM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Help diagnosing oil leak

Shop recently had my motor out to replace clutch and flywheel as well as pin coolant lines and replace hoses and serp belt. Soon after I noticed a clearish oil puddle on the garage floor near the rear right side of the car. I took it back to the shop and they inspected it but did not see any issue, just used some cleaner to get rid of the oil residue. After a couple of days of the car sitting (in a warm garage) noticed a puddle formed again. It does not look like engine oil, its a bit more clear. Could it be power steering fluid? I have another appointment to have them look at it again, but thought I’d ask here.

Last edited by MJFDDS; 08-01-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: More photos
Old 08-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

most likely that is PS fluid in that location. Open deck lid, look to right, see the cap? see the 2 lines going to the reservoir? They very well may have jacked up your PS connections removing them. There is a special tool and it's a very finicky connection. And, they do wear over time, i just had to replace both my lines due to the connection to the tank losing seal. (Vibration will wear them over time). $300 each line. Engine drop to fix.

Anyway, check the PS reservoir, and the lines, if there is any oil or sweating you've found your answer, and you need to get it fixed ASAP. Pentosin is highly flammable and it wills well those rubber seals and cause water leaks at the jacket where your last pick highlights the drip.

You're in Socal which shop did the work on the engine drop?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:31 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Thanks Spyrex. I had Tyson at Pro Motorsports in Burbank do the work. I am taking it back there next week so they can take a look. That would suck if they need to drop the engine to fix the issue if it indeed is the PS lines. How difficult is it to see the lines, are they visible from up top or should I look from underneath?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJFDDS
Thanks Spyrex. I had Tyson at Pro Motorsports in Burbank do the work. I am taking it back there next week so they can take a look. That would suck if they need to drop the engine to fix the issue if it indeed is the PS lines. How difficult is it to see the lines, are they visible from up top or should I look from underneath?
Very easy to see. Just pop the deck lid, look to the right, behind the air filter. Arrow E pointing at it, the 2 lines are on the other side of the tank. There are 2 lines going into it. One at top of the tank on the right of the tank, one that goes at bottom. The one at top tends to be the one that will leak. Just feel around there with your fingers, the 2 pipes at their connections to the tank. If at all wet that's the culprit. Also, open the cap and ensure you have sufficient PS fluid.

When you drop the motor those 2 connections have to be removed (assuming the pulled the motor to do your coolant lines). Its common for the top pipe seal to get weak after several removals.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:07 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Thanks again. They did pull the motor to do the coolant lines and it has been pulled one other time. I will check the PS pentosin level too. It also looks like that seal has swelled because compared to the other side it appears it isn't seated correctly.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

The actual seal is inside the fitting, that rubber is more or less a boot, but, pentosin in that location will cause water leaks at that point. Fixing that requires removing a bunch of stuff to replace the water housing and the $.50 seal lol
Old 08-01-2018, 01:41 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Great. I wonder if I should clean it up really well and wrap a towel around that boot to prevent more from leaking onto that area since I cannot take the car in until the end of next week.

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing oil leak