Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

question about stereo connections and sound packages >>

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 07:42 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default question about stereo connections and sound packages >>

Hey guys. I want to replace my PCM 2.1 with something aftermarket (I know I'm going to lose some of you here, but you may be able to help). It's less about the sound quality (though it is lacking) and more about carPlay integration, backup camera, etc.

Currently I have the OEM DVD navigation (located in the frunk) and a Dension gateway 500 that handles phone connectivity via hardwire or bluetooth that I installed when I bought the car. This is plugged into the MOST fiber optic loop behind the PCM.

I've been reading up on connecting aftermarket stereos to the fiber optic system and it would seem I need a MOST decoder of some sort (Nav-TV makes one that costs more than the stereo i'm interested in). That's all well and good, however, it would seem my .1 GT3 was not equipped with the Bose speakers or amp. I don't have rear speakers, even though there are grill covers for them, and there is no amplifier in the frunk or under the passenger seat.

Questions are as follows:
+ does the headunit power the speakers alone?
+ would they have packaged these cars with the PCM 2.1 and navigation, but no bose amp/speakers?
+ do I still need the MOST decoder even though there's no audio to decode? (seems the MOST ring was only for the DVD > headunit connection?)

Any info would be helpful. I've read a number of threads on the install, but mine is slightly different.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:03 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

There were 2 choices for sound package:

Standard: 4 speakers powered by head unit

Sound package plus: 9 speakers and external amplifier

You have the standard audio package.

Attached is information about the two
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2018, 01:35 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Thanks. That is very helpful. I guess I just need a harness and I can skip the MOST decoder?
Old 06-30-2018, 07:53 AM
ncoburn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Euromotorspeed. 877-408-(EURO) 3876. They will sell you the correct kit. I just used their kit on a .1 RS with an Alpine ILX-207. Easy install, and great result. Carplay, Sirius XM, Nav, Bluetooth. You won't need the Dension or the OEM DVD nav any longer. Which means you shouldn't need a MOST decoder, as you don't have any amps on the fiber optic loop, I believe. They will confirm when you speak with them. For the backup camera, and a great mount for the sirius and gps antennas, go to www.cai-store.com and buy those two pieces. Using their mount, the two antennas get hidden completely out of sight. They have great instructions on their site for installation. If you don't care about Sirius, go for the Alpine ILX-107, which is the same, but allows Carplay functionality without the phone having to be plugged into a USB cable (which runs to the back of the head unit). However, it doesn't support Sirius. I did the install myself over a weekend. It wasn't difficult at all, just take your time and follow the instructions. It's all very straight-forward.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:06 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

thank for the advice. i will give them a call!
Old 07-05-2018, 10:13 AM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Touch screen

I went and installed an aftermarket amp and headunit. Sounds way better than the stock, while still using the factory speakers.

One, or two words of caution. Try to get *****/buttons - using a touchscreen in our cars can be annoying with our stiff suspension. 2) No one can hear me with hands free - cars are too loud, so consider getting a ear/mouth piece instead of using a microphone within the car.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:33 AM
andrewgt3
Racer

Originally Posted by orthofrancis
...One, or two words of caution. Try to get *****/buttons - using a touchscreen in our cars can be annoying with our stiff suspension...
Roger that. I bought a Sony XAV-AX100. I wanted a proper volume **** as well!

Quick Reply: question about stereo connections and sound packages >>