New member..Time for new tires and maybe new wheels... Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 02:59 AM
BFGF
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member..Time for new tires and maybe new wheels... Need Advice

Hey Guys,

This is Feli. As my BF is relocated back to Asia to work for a while, I am taking over his Rennlist account and the GT3 to keep it alive : )

Just take her out of the storage and drop by the dealership for an oil change today. The advisor told me the currently set is already 6 years old and it is time for replacement... my Bf is a jerk! I can't believe his tire is over 6 years old and still have tread left..OMG!! The advisor told me Michelin don't make pilot super sport anymore and I can only go for the 4S if I want to stay in Michelin. Any current user and feedback on the 4S? I usually drive on the weekend and street only for now, probably will not take her to the track for now. Coming form a Mini GP, the GT3 clutch is so much heavier, and the stick is... like a real man suppose to be.. lol Trying get used to and improving my skills on heel toe, but one day I will stretch her out on track like you guy does : ) Any other tires brand/model you will suggest for the street/back road use? Thnx a lot.

Although I really like the classic & simple line of the Mk1, but I am not so sure about the wheel... Mk2 is much nicer and looks cool : ) Center lock or not... I am an Asian girl 5'5" 106lbs, I can never lift and change a wheel tire anyway : ) I am pretty much set on 3 set of wheels, and can't really decided which one should go for (BBS LM / BBS LM-R / Works Bombacher) Please reply as you like which one you prefer, I will count your vote, bought the set and post back just to say thank you : )

Farewell my beloved 03 Mini GP... At the time bunch of guys don't even know what a clutch is, and heard bunch of them asking ("Oh really? You drive a manual?" / "Can I try the clutch" / "Can I try to shift" / "How do you to put it into reverse ?") thing, bubbling about how quiet an EV and fuel efficiency boring stuff....... I wish you will find the right guy or girl like myself : )

AND

Stop being a garage queen GT3... you are born to be the kind of girl yelled out loud @ 8400 orgasm!!!!!!!! Cheer guys : )
Old 04-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BFGF
Hey Guys,

The advisor told me Michelin don't make pilot super sport anymore and I can only go for the 4S if I want to stay in Michelin.
They still make super sports, which is what I prefer.

See link below, scroll down and click "sizes", then choose your tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ot+Super+Sport
Old 04-18-2018, 08:49 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I'm loving my 4S's.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:55 AM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just order from tire rack

I'm not really a fan of jack of all trade tires since the GT3 isn't a jack of all trades anyway.
Give the following a consideration:
Bridgestone RE71R
Hankook RS4

Tire tech has come a long way since the Michelin PSC/PSC2

As far as center locks, I don't see the advantage. Needless waste of money on unnecessary tools.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:52 AM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,
buy either the RE-71 or the Michelin 4S - the Michelin will likely last longer on the street - the RE-71 is the AX king so far.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:42 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

street tires are street tires - there's a few that are decent. it won't matter since the rears won't last long anyway

many things to learn first - don't sweat the heel n toe

as for wheels - get what you like, not what others like (just my opinion, and IMO, I'd get BLACK ones)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:55 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

* deleted *

Last edited by jackb911; 04-29-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:02 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4S if you want them to last a bit longer. RE71R if you want maximum dry traction. I love the RE71R on my Integra Type R.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:33 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

The GT3 wheels are a bit on the heavy side, but very strong and hold up well.

If you have really good roads, aftermarket wheels should be fine. I run Fikse and have been happy with them.

After putting 125K miles of street driving I have found the Michelins to be the best street tire (when I can get them). They cost more, but the ride and grip (wet and dry) are noticeably better. I have not tried the RE-71, but I don't autocross much (enough).

Yes, you need to get the snarly beast out on the road more often.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

I just installed a set of GTRS wheels on my Turbo with a Sport Cup 2 tires... I don't track the car but I really liked the look of the Sport Cup. I have to say that I am not having a very good experience. One front tire for sure came out of round.. I had them installed and had a front in shake that would be apparent at about 55mph.. I took the front right wheel off as it felt that most of the issue was coming from that wheel.. and sure enough, the run-out on the wheel is fine, but you could see the tire was clearly out of round. Even the new replacement tire that Tire Rack was kind to have send out was out of round itself. After the install of the new tire.. I am still getting a similar problem only now at 53mph.. I suspect the left front has issues too but haven't had a chance to take it off and see it on the balancer.
(note, all the tires and wheels were road force balanced originally). I haven't had a chance to run them in a super hot situation and am kinda hoping that that might help...

in the end.. I think that the 4s's would have been a much better choice for myself.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
The GT3 wheels are a bit on the heavy side, but very strong and hold up well.

If you have really good roads, aftermarket wheels should be fine. I run Fikse and have been happy with them.

After putting 125K miles of street driving I have found the Michelins to be the best street tire (when I can get them). They cost more, but the ride and grip (wet and dry) are noticeably better. I have not tried the RE-71, but I don't autocross much (enough).

Yes, you need to get the snarly beast out on the road more often.
125K - tip of the cap to you sir!

Quick Reply: New member..Time for new tires and maybe new wheels... Need Advice