Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Garage Lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:56 AM
michicago
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Lifts?

In today's edition of First World Problems, my pending addition to the stable will exceed my garage capacity. So I'm looking at a lift to store the RS, and to do maintenance on it and other cars. I don't know how much the clearance differs between RS models, but the one I'm trying to find a solution for is a 997.2.

The challenge I keep coming across is finding a lift and sliding/rolling jacks that are known to clear the undercarriage of the RS when driving it on. For example, I've been looking at the Bendpak HD-9XW and its RJ-4500 jacks. The problem is there isn't a clear dimension on how high the jack sits with respect to the ramps the car will drive on. When I called and talked to a sales rep at Bendpak, I was told it's "about 3 or 4 inches". One of those numbers would work, but barely. The other would be a pretty extreme... interference fit.

Without being able to get a straight answer from the manufacturer, I thought I would try posting here to see what lift configurations others have and if it worked out of the box or if you were able to modify something to make it work.

My ideal set-up is a 4-post lift with 2 sliding jacks. I just don't want to buy and set all that up, only to realize there's a 1/4" stopping everything from working together.

And who doesn't like an opportunity to show off their garage set-up if it has a lift in it?!
Old 02-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got both 2-post and 4-post lifts I use to store and service my cars. When I went to put my GT3 on the 4-post lift after I first got it I found out that the ramps for the lift didn't have a long enough approach which caused my GT3 front end bottomed out before actually getting on the lift. Luckily I had my Race Ramps in the corner and used them to help get the GT3 on the lift with no issues. SO you might also want to look into this as well.

Now, back to you original question on the rolling jack clearance.... I've used these in the past on trailers and thought they might work great for your situation. They would give you additional clearance between the rolling jacks and your new RS....

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/trai...trailer-mates/
Old 02-15-2018, 04:39 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hoyt
I've got both 2-post and 4-post lifts I use to store and service my cars. When I went to put my GT3 on the 4-post lift after I first got it I found out that the ramps for the lift didn't have a long enough approach which caused my GT3 front end bottomed out before actually getting on the lift. Luckily I had my Race Ramps in the corner and used them to help get the GT3 on the lift with no issues. SO you might also want to look into this as well.

Now, back to you original question on the rolling jack clearance.... I've used these in the past on trailers and thought they might work great for your situation. They would give you additional clearance between the rolling jacks and your new RS....

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/trai...trailer-mates/
Perfect! I was asking the Bendpak if they had something like this and they acted like I asked something completely off the wall. This is definitely the easier solution to the problem... and a lot more elegant than the boards I was envisioning putting on the rails.

I owe you one, thanks!!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:53 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 192 Posts

I just installed an HD-9 w/ 2xRJ-45s. With the rubber pads on the furthest point, they will clear, but will hit the brake ducts. Those are flexible, so it shouldn't be too much issue. You can leave the rubber pads off and then install them before you locate the RJs at the lifting pads. You'll have to stop at the wheel well to get enough space to install them, but it's doable. If you email with Bendpak, they will tell you 2 3/4" above the rails on an HD-9 without the rubber pads. With the pads it's closer to 3" clearance. I can sent pics later if it will help.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:43 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the Advantage 4-post 9000# Lift with their rolling scissor jack. My low GT3 clears the jack with no problems regardless of which position it is in. Backing onto the lift can be done with the standard length aluminum ramps with no scraping. Go on forward I use my Race Ramps which work perfectly.

Advantage 4-post Lift

I think quality is very good and service has been excellent.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:20 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Saw this at AMG academy at COTA. Two post with no drilling required.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:49 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Very cool. How high could they raise the car?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:55 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ranger22
I just installed an HD-9 w/ 2xRJ-45s. With the rubber pads on the furthest point, they will clear, but will hit the brake ducts. Those are flexible, so it shouldn't be too much issue. You can leave the rubber pads off and then install them before you locate the RJs at the lifting pads. You'll have to stop at the wheel well to get enough space to install them, but it's doable. If you email with Bendpak, they will tell you 2 3/4" above the rails on an HD-9 without the rubber pads. With the pads it's closer to 3" clearance. I can sent pics later if it will help.
I've been off the grid for a couple days, but I'd love to see some pictures of your set-up if you don't mind! Sounds like it's all very close, but should work out.

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
I have the Advantage 4-post 9000# Lift with their rolling scissor jack. My low GT3 clears the jack with no problems regardless of which position it is in. Backing onto the lift can be done with the standard length aluminum ramps with no scraping. Go on forward I use my Race Ramps which work perfectly.

Advantage 4-post Lift

I think quality is very good and service has been excellent.
Thanks! I'll look at these too. I am pretty set on a Bendpak 9XW or something very similar to it so I can fit my truck underneath the car.
Originally Posted by Wind911
Saw this at AMG academy at COTA. Two post with no drilling required.
That doesn't work for what I'm trying to do, but that's a nice set-up!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:18 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

The Finkbeiner looks very interesting! Just spent a little time on their site... You can buy storage ramps for it too: https://www.finkbeiner-lifts.com/pro...f113b156896cfa
Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

This is the classy solution I used last time I put my GT3 on the lift.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Love it. Looks like what I would do
Old 02-23-2018, 01:38 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jonwb
This is the classy solution I used last time I put my GT3 on the lift.

Originally Posted by tasman
Love it. Looks like what I would do
Same here - that's how I got my car out of the trailer when I got it home!
Old 02-23-2018, 02:18 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by michicago
In today's edition of First World Problems, my pending addition to the stable will exceed my garage capacity. So I'm looking at a lift to store the RS, and to do maintenance on it and other cars. I don't know how much the clearance differs between RS models, but the one I'm trying to find a solution for is a 997.2.

The challenge I keep coming across is finding a lift and sliding/rolling jacks that are known to clear the undercarriage of the RS when driving it on. For example, I've been looking at the Bendpak HD-9XW and its RJ-4500 jacks. The problem is there isn't a clear dimension on how high the jack sits with respect to the ramps the car will drive on. When I called and talked to a sales rep at Bendpak, I was told it's "about 3 or 4 inches". One of those numbers would work, but barely. The other would be a pretty extreme... interference fit.

Without being able to get a straight answer from the manufacturer, I thought I would try posting here to see what lift configurations others have and if it worked out of the box or if you were able to modify something to make it work.

My ideal set-up is a 4-post lift with 2 sliding jacks. I just don't want to buy and set all that up, only to realize there's a 1/4" stopping everything from working together.

And who doesn't like an opportunity to show off their garage set-up if it has a lift in it?!
I have the Bendpak HD9 XW and the pneumatic jack you speak of. The ride height on my Cobra is right at 4". The jack will not clear. A very simple and cost effective solution I came up with was to get a set of Race Ramps and when I need the jack just drive up on the race ramps. Works great. They are cheap and super light. Plenty of room for the jack to park at the front of the lift and be out of the way the rest of the time. Absolutely love the lift. Highly recommend. Here is w pic with the ramps and jack in use.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My dad Has the following Lift: http://www.worthequipment.com/parkinghobbylifts.htm with the lift ramps and I do not think he has had any trouble with his 2010 GT3 and the ramps. He uses it to both work on cars as well as for storage and it has worked great.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:23 AM
smdepm3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into DirectLifts. They have a the 2post attachment that my gt3 can easily clear.

Quick Reply: Garage Lifts?