Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lightweight option for Fire Extinguisher in car

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:02 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Lightweight option for Fire Extinguisher in car

This looks pretty cool, saves some weight, and clears up space in the already small footwell area if you have a FE there.

https://www.elementfire.com/shop-s/103.htm
Old 01-12-2018, 05:36 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

This is basically a road flare as far as I can tell:

And why is Michael Levitas from TPC on the FAQ page?

https://www.elementfire.com/faq-a/261.htm
Old 01-12-2018, 05:37 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I almost want to order one and test it. The 22 second clip on their website doesn't do much for me in terms of how effective it would actually be.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:55 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Okay so it probably does put out a fire but their marketing strategy does no help in making this look like a legitimate product.
Like this gem from the homepage:
"Element uses a tested and proven technology, created for the space program, that fights fires on the molecular level. By chemically interrupting the chain of combustion, Element safely and effectively puts out fires without the mess, toxicity, or danger associated with a traditional extinguisher."

It starves it of oxygen. What every fire extinguisher does.
They're selling you on its superior ability to put out a fire when they should focus more on the fact the thing is small AF, safe and convenient (one for your home, car and purse!).

The one drawback is that the 25/50/100 second discharge is continuous and not smothering. A charged chemical FE is one time use but can be discharged in 'doses' so if that fire reignites, you have the ability to suffocate/smother it again until the FE is depressurized.

That said, this is cheap and better than nothing.

Also, Firecom makes a similar compact FE and it looks like a lightsaber:

Sidenote, i know more about FE systems than I should. My employer's server farms have multiple redundant systems and things like this play a part.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Okay so it probably does put out a fire but their marketing strategy does no help in making this look like a legitimate product.
Like this gem from the homepage:
"Element uses a tested and proven technology, created for the space program, that fights fires on the molecular level. By chemically interrupting the chain of combustion, Element safely and effectively puts out fires without the mess, toxicity, or danger associated with a traditional extinguisher."
Seems like a slam dunk for "Fights fire with fire!". Probably why I'm not in marketing though.

Quick Reply: Lightweight option for Fire Extinguisher in car