CSF radiator failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:30 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default CSF radiator failure

My low coolant light started flashing last week as I was driving on the motorway I watched the temp gauges thinking it may need just topping up but after a minute the water temp flew up to the end and the oil temp followed it very rapidly I pulled onto the hard shoulder and a stream of coolant was coming from the front PU, I had to get the vehicle recovered to my shop.

The culprit is below I had the CSF rads installed April 2014, this one has split along a weld. I'm obviously upset about this as the rads were quite expensive and I bought them thinking they would last a long time. I will not be sending them back to the manufacturer as its a bit far and a lot of hassle neither will I be getting them repaired as I am now paranoid that the other rad may split and leave me stranded again so I am putting a set of German made aluminium AKG premium line rads on in replacement.

[/url
Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 PM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issue. Although the radiator is warrantied for 2 years, it should not have failed after 3 years.

Do you want to contact me by email and I'll see what I can do for you - I stand behind the product my company makes.
email me at: ravidolwani@csfradiators.com
Old 11-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

“Cycle fatigue? Delta T and Delta P?” Internet Scientist
CSF has an excellent reputation over the plastic OEM stuff.
GL
Old 11-20-2017, 11:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

You could also try PWR, that’s what most of the cup teams have run.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:27 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I posted this for forum information and didn't actually expect CSF to do anything as the radiator is out of warranty and as we all know car bits can fail.

CSF are sending me a brand new replacement radiator even though they have no obligation to which I think is pretty impressive and says a lot about them as a company, I will probably keep the rads for when I need to replace again.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:48 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Odd failure Toby!
I have almost the same install date without any issue (65,000km put on mine so far, 1st '6GT2/TT set made)...
CSF/Ravi is fantastic to deal with, standing behind their product is very important to them
Old 11-23-2017, 12:16 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
Odd failure Toby!
I have almost the same install date without any issue (65,000km put on mine so far, 1st '6GT2/TT set made)...
CSF/Ravi is fantastic to deal with, standing behind their product is very important to them
It is an odd failure isn't it, a very neat fracture line right down the middle of the weld I have no idea about welding/aluminium etc but would be interested in the possible reasons for the fracture ?

I am quite shocked at quite how battered these rads are, I don't think it's to do with the brand and more to do with their location and the conditions of operation, they have doubtlessly had some very high speed debris impacts which have taken their toll on the fins and the fairly harsh environment of a 25K mile (in 3 years) DD in the UK has begun to cause rotting..... Probably needs that meshing a la the new GT2RS for protection although I am not a fan of the look.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:32 PM
bubba928
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Great reach out to you from CSF. I still have the OEMs on my 6/3, however, I have a CSF radiator in my 928GT and after three years, no issues.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:18 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
...CSF are sending me a brand new replacement radiator even though they have no obligation to which I think is pretty impressive and says a lot about them as a company, I will probably keep the rads for when I need to replace again.
What a class act by CSF. Lessons to be learned by some vendors.

It is an odd failure isn't it, a very neat fracture line right down the middle of the weld I have no idea about welding/aluminium etc but would be interested in the possible reasons for the fracture ?

I am quite shocked at quite how battered these rads are, I don't think it's to do with the brand and more to do with their location and the conditions of operation, they have doubtlessly had some very high speed debris impacts which have taken their toll on the fins and the fairly harsh environment of a 25K mile (in 3 years) DD in the UK has begun to cause rotting..... Probably needs that meshing a la the new GT2RS for protection although I am not a fan of the look.
Maybe send details photos to CSF or send the part back so that they can do their own CSI work and improve the product.
PS: I received the Cargraphics grille screen for the GT2 and GT2RS = same screen. But I have had no time to get the car(s) serviced, bumpers covers removed and screen mesh installed.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:20 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Must've been a contaminated weld filler rod or gas issue on yours, odd for sure...
mine have also taken on debris 'damage' (without issue) and have thought numerous times about mesh as well...I probably should...only real hold back was idea of potential airflow, however small; also prefer the open/no mesh look too...

Old 11-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

That radiator has taken a severe beating, inside and out. What kind of coolant causes that terrible build-up of brown crud inside that connector?
Makes one wonder how extreme the pressures were inside that system. Temperature cycles and high pressures will eventually cause any component to fail.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:53 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is the other rad, no leaks but seems to have taken a fair beating on some of the fins,it is in a harsh environment for sure.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:57 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

can you post a better photo of the weld?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:26 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Close up.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:28 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

when 2 pieces of metal are welded together the weld itself becomes stronger than the either of the 2 metal pieces. a simple welders test is to weld 2 pieces togetehr and then break it. if it breaks at the weld the test is a fail. past that xrays can be taken to see oif theres debris or contaminated rod thats used. a wled shouldnt fail the metal fails first

Quick Reply: CSF radiator failure