Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PSA: Pin/weld your lines ppl

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts
Default PSA: Pin/weld your lines ppl

997 3RS drops a load on the ring and chaos ensues.

warning. Friendly fire ahead.

https://jalopnik.com/watch-a-harrowi...ing-1820397933
Old 11-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

From the video I don't think he saved anybody. He actually may have made it worse by parking his car where it gets hit. I understand he was trying to save some cars/people.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Never stop on a hot track. So many bad decisions here including the safety organizers.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Where did the coolant leak? Approximately where the RS spun out, or is the leak further ahead in front of where the guy pulled over? Because as the guy is waiting to get out, you can see that hatch (Focus?) speed by with tires squeaking as it rounds the corner and ultimately spins out and crashes. If that's the case, why did the RS spin out where it did? I'm just having a hard time figuring out what exactly I'm watching in that video.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:13 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

what ur seeing is a lot of people on track who are overdriving their skill limits. Camera man parked in or before the original spill as he saw cars eating armco. he climbed out to warn others. That turn before hatzenbach is blind(ish). The RS you see hit his car was probably 'on it' with little time to react to extremely slowed or even stopped cars on track. Once he hit the grass it was game over.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:12 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I don’t know the track personally but to drive without flaggers seems insane.

In fact, this is exactly why I don’t really drive normal track days anymore. Someone else’s car messes up mine. Homie don’t play dat. No thanks.

I think this guy was smart. What is he going to do weave his way through debris? He saved himself an injury and tried to save others.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:28 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Modena 1
What is he going to do weave his way through debris?
yes
Old 11-16-2017, 12:47 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This makes the 3rd video this week I've seen that is quickly diminishing my desire to do a tourist lap @ the Nurburgring. It looks like a fustercluck. Between the tourists, poseurs in fast cars making VERY unsafe passes, and the race drivers who seem to forget they can't trust the other cars, I'm surprised the track is able to stay open.

Last edited by BillNye; 11-16-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are relatively strict rules and regulations surrounding the "Touristenfahrten" on the Nürburgring; the most important thing to realize, though, is that for these tourist-drives, the ring is considered to be a public road with all the corresponding laws that govern traffic on public roads. Albeit without a speed limit.

Passing is supposed to be on the left only, timing is not allowed, etc, etc. There are usually corner workers to do any necessary flagging and provide assistance, but not everywhere and not all the time (Laps cost between €25-30. Having the track staffed as if for a race would drive the costs up to the point where tourist days would become unfeasible). It is every individual's personal responsibility to make sure that the vehicle's speed is such that the vehicle remains controllable (paraphrased from Sec.3, Paragraph 1 German Road Traffic Ordnance).

And when there is an accident, they require you to stop (at a safe spot at the side of the road - see link below), assist any injured persons, and warn other drivers - without putting yourself in danger. More or less as you would do on any normal public road. http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin...ist-Drives.pdf

You can't compare the Touristenfahrten to a regular track. For the most part, these are normal people in normal cars driving on a historic race track. And while European and American perceptions on personal responsibility differ greatly, a few more incidents such as this and the whole Touristenfahrten-thing will come to an end.

The way it is sold to the general public now is: "The Nordschleife is not a modern racetrack but rather the world‘s most beautiful country road without oncoming traffic." We'll see how much longer all this lasts...
Old 11-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

i've only been on the Nordschleife one day and it was during a Touristenfahrten. it was awesome seeing the mix of cars from exotics to junkers and just getting to drive on the track. for the most part, i felt people were driving sanely, but there were some crashes throughout the day and from what we heard in almost all cases it was due to people trying to "race" on the track and not just enjoy the drive.

no one wants accidents like this to happen and maybe they will lead to the end of the Touristenfahrten days. a better option in my mind would be to actually have speed limits on those days and let the "racers" show up on actual track days.

oh, and the coolant pipes on my GT3 are pinned. was actually part of the preventative maintenance i did almost as soon as i got the car. coolant pipes pinned, BBI pipe kit, sharkwerks coolant pipe kit, new rotors, new RMS, etc. wasn't the prettiest car bill i've had, but well worth the peace of mind and just part of owning a GT3.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:01 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

This GT3 driver got very lucky... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB_K...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-16-2017, 03:21 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
There are relatively strict rules and regulations surrounding the "Touristenfahrten" on the Nürburgring; the most important thing to realize, though, is that for these tourist-drives, the ring is considered to be a public road with all the corresponding laws that govern traffic on public roads. Albeit without a speed limit.

Passing is supposed to be on the left only, timing is not allowed, etc, etc. There are usually corner workers to do any necessary flagging and provide assistance, but not everywhere and not all the time (Laps cost between €25-30. Having the track staffed as if for a race would drive the costs up to the point where tourist days would become unfeasible). It is every individual's personal responsibility to make sure that the vehicle's speed is such that the vehicle remains controllable (paraphrased from Sec.3, Paragraph 1 German Road Traffic Ordnance).

And when there is an accident, they require you to stop (at a safe spot at the side of the road - see link below), assist any injured persons, and warn other drivers - without putting yourself in danger. More or less as you would do on any normal public road. http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin...ist-Drives.pdf

You can't compare the Touristenfahrten to a regular track. For the most part, these are normal people in normal cars driving on a historic race track. And while European and American perceptions on personal responsibility differ greatly, a few more incidents such as this and the whole Touristenfahrten-thing will come to an end.

The way it is sold to the general public now is: "The Nordschleife is not a modern racetrack but rather the world‘s most beautiful country road without oncoming traffic." We'll see how much longer all this lasts...
Good points to clarify.
I'd better drive it soon before some US attorney gets an ear for more restrictions. Hopefully the track/road organizers look to better educate drivers on the road/track vs. more limits.

I'm sure many people think of it too much in the track sense until they come up on someone or get passed with a huge speed difference.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

I've seen the photos, watched the video, it just sucks. And hits close to home. The only time I've crashed a car at the track was after driving over somebody else's coolant. Thankfully back then 964s were worth more in parts than as one piece.

These days with the speed of late model cars at the track things happen much faster. My 997 is superior to my 993 in every way yet at the track I'd rather drive the old girl. Slower is sometimes better.

As far as the Nurburgring, when I was there a couple of years ago the morning session was stopped for 2 hours because there was a 4-car pile up. And they only had 1 flatbed... When the track was cleared up I ended up renting a Clio to drive because I didn't want the liability of a crashed 911 or M3 over my head.

It's true the majority of the people knew what they were doing when I was there. Yet I still saw a few guys with the red mist over their eyes... And when you have slow cars and really, really, really fast cars on the same piece of tarmac, with blind turns and no corner workers in most areas, it's not a matter of if, but when. That's why before you go out they give you a card with a telephone number. Call if you are in an accident or see someone in an accident. It's the fastest way of alerting the track personnel.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:36 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
what ur seeing is a lot of people on track who are overdriving their skill limits. Camera man parked in or before the original spill as he saw cars eating armco. he climbed out to warn others. That turn before hatzenbach is blind(ish). The RS you see hit his car was probably 'on it' with little time to react to extremely slowed or even stopped cars on track. Once he hit the grass it was game over.
0 skill related, it is just a blind and very fast corner. I somewhat agree that the guy didn't do the best by parking there, at least could had parked at the front of the crashed car, but he did great, because there were no marshals and he obviously is a very seasoned guy there, so he did exactly what he should had done, take the initiative and warn incoming traffic.

And he did save A LOT of lives there. A LOT.

Quick Reply: PSA: Pin/weld your lines ppl