Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

What would you like to see?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:41 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
What would you like to see?
Nothing in particular. Just always been curious to know the extent of MS parts. I'm one of those guys. You know, start an upgrade path in my mind!
Old 12-02-2017, 06:38 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Are MS parts the same as OEM parts? I'm thinking no, but why should I not consider OEM parts from a GT3 or GT2 RS when applicable?

For instance, for front strut mounts, I was going to replace the stock mount (997.2 GTS) with an adjustable ('reversible') monoball mount.
I see several of these from the various aftermarket sources for $4-500 a pair.

However, If I look up the OEM GT3 part at Sonnen, they are $90 each; way less than aftermarket.

https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...bC1oNi1nYXM%3D

Are these monoball and reversible? What are the differences to MS parts?

Any know of the corresponding MS part to the front strut mount for comparison on features and price?

How do I possibly figure all this out for the various parts!!
Old 12-03-2017, 02:17 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The motorsports parts are generally very different. Typically they are a mix of more robust and adjustable. Cost wise, figure 2-3x over 'normal' oem parts. The MS shock mounts will look much like the OEM, but the bearing is heartier

Ray
Old 12-03-2017, 04:42 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you call Sonnen, speak to Neil,Gina,Ray or Greg and they can get you Porsche Motorsport parts at the best prices by far. I have a wholesale account with them. Greg couldn't find the part number for me on one item and put me in touch directly via email to a head-hancho in HQ. The gentleman responded (shockingly) and told me who the manufacture is however that part is not sold individually from parent part #. Anyways just my experience w/ Sonnen for 12 years. Great team.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:03 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks F1 - I have used Sun Coast in Fl. Not the cheapest by any means...

Ray
Old 12-03-2017, 07:56 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Are MS parts the same as OEM parts? I'm thinking no, but why should I not consider OEM parts from a GT3 or GT2 RS when applicable?

For instance, for front strut mounts, I was going to replace the stock mount (997.2 GTS) with an adjustable ('reversible') monoball mount.
I see several of these from the various aftermarket sources for $4-500 a pair.

However, If I look up the OEM GT3 part at Sonnen, they are $90 each; way less than aftermarket.

https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...bC1oNi1nYXM%3D

Are these monoball and reversible? What are the differences to MS parts?

Any know of the corresponding MS part to the front strut mount for comparison on features and price?

How do I possibly figure all this out for the various parts!!
Often times the MS parts are based on the street parts but modified by Porsche Motorsport. You can see that the RSR LCAs pictured below use the same body as the street RS arms but Porsche machines out the outer ball joint and installs a much beefier units. The inners joint is also monoball instead of the rubber bushing used on the street arms. Finally the caster bushing is solid as opposed to rubber encased on the street parts.

As far as upper mounts go, the link you list above is NOT a monoball upper mount that is used on the GT2/3/Cup cars. Those mounts are the regular run of the mill street parts with a rubber bushing. If you want monoball mounts, you have several options from aftermarket to OEM. Pictured below are the following monoball upper mounts: Aftermarket street, Aftermarket Motorsport (same as street but thicker plate), and OEM Motorsport. The OEM Motorsport mounts are the most expensive at about $800/pair while the aftermarket ones are less than half that. The OEM street GT3 upper mounts are the same parts as Motorsport in this case. You can purchase a replacement bearing from MS but not your regular dealer. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Difference in suspension parts vendors