Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Effect of accident and track use on value

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:58 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Effect of accident and track use on value

Everyone looks for the best example they can afford, and even intended use (i.e., track use) can diminish value for some buyers. Accidents definitely diminish value, even if expertly repaired, but by how much? Given the following, how much lower than market would be an appropriate price?

• 2010 GT3
  • 20k miles
  • Track driven, meticulously maintained
  • Engine refreshed
  • Gearbox refreshed
  • Track tire wall contact, sheet metal and wing, expertly repaired
What price or percentage of market value would be appropriate for a car with these attributes?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

15% less than a similar car without the accident ding.

Many track cars are better maintained than most owners daily drivers.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:49 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

30% diminished value for the accident alone. Anything less and you will eat it when you sell the car. The best person to ask is the head of used car sales at your local Porsche dealership. The more research the better. GL! Josh
Old 10-12-2017, 11:43 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRSA
Everyone looks for the best example they can afford, and even intended use (i.e., track use) can diminish value for some buyers. Accidents definitely diminish value, even if expertly repaired, but by how much? Given the following, how much lower than market would be an appropriate price?

• 2010 GT3
  • 20k miles
  • Track driven, meticulously maintained
  • Engine refreshed
  • Gearbox refreshed
  • Track tire wall contact, sheet metal and wing, expertly repaired
What price or percentage of market value would be appropriate for a car with these attributes?
what did the engine/gearbox refresh include and who did the work?
Old 10-13-2017, 12:24 PM
ZombieBranz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might give you some idea. there is a 997.1 GT3 with multiple crashes and paintwork and 41k miles up for auction at bringatrailer. Up to 58k so far with a couple days left. Would be around a 85-90k car with same mileage and no wreck history.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:36 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombieBranz
This might give you some idea. there is a 997.1 GT3 with multiple crashes and paintwork and 41k miles up for auction at bringatrailer. Up to 58k so far with a couple days left. Would be around a 85-90k car with same mileage and no wreck history.
That car is at 58K now but likely will go up and get around the 70 mark Looks like it was a minor accident it was involved in and nothing major.

with these cars it's going to be harder and harder to find super clean models. people are taking old 911s that are rusted, flooded, burnt, bent or whatever to restore.

to OP, track miles don't matter much in the GT world - many people track and most maintain. accidents in todays market isn't a good thing and most avoid. you can take a savings now, but you'll also have to save less later which might be okay.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:27 PM
ZombieBranz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r6elmo
Looks like it was a minor accident it was involved in and nothing major.
Ad says 2 accidents. Front end was backed into and also the carfax lists a rear accident and seller notes rear bumper repainted. Also someone else said this car had an additional 3rd accident not on carfax and may not be known by owner but that it required a full car repaint.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:51 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
what did the engine/gearbox refresh include and who did the work?
I would also be curious as to the why with that few miles. Does refresh just mean fluids and basic maintenance or an actual refresh of opening both up and replacing hard parts?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:35 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Many track cars are better maintained than most owners daily drivers.
This is very true...many folks who track their cars over-maintain them.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:25 PM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

ask mooty ... i bet it's 50% off value ... but then if it was tracked a lot it may be more valuable ... if with a bike rack some will pay even more.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ he did ;-)
Old 10-14-2017, 01:44 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Most people make too big of a deal about paint work, when in fact many vehicles are painted by PCNA or dealers prior to delivering them to clients.

Frame damage aside, most incidents have little to no effect on how the vehicle performs and drives. Cosmetically speaking, if the repair is done by a reputable facility many will be hard pressed to notice a difference. Gone are the days where someone would sit there trying to hammer things out, nowadays the bodywork is usually replaced with new parts and as such the most important aspect of the entire process is the paint work.

Nevertheless, any incident has an adverse/negative effect on the vehicles price/value, which is why we’ve done about a dozen or so GT3/RS track car tributes. Our clients have purchased “undesired” basic 997s and for a fraction of the cost of buying a factory RS and without assuming the risk of damaging and therefore diminishing the value of their factory GT car, they have a vehicle which imho performs as well if not better than the factory RS which can be tracked being less worried. Best of both worlds.

My advice is; drive it like you stole it and never look back. My motto: let’s stfu and go for a drive!
Old 10-14-2017, 02:29 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Most people make too big of a deal about paint work, when in fact many vehicles are painted by PCNA or dealers prior to delivering them to clients.

Frame damage aside, most incidents have little to no effect on how the vehicle performs and drives. Cosmetically speaking, if the repair is done by a reputable facility many will be hard pressed to notice a difference. Gone are the days where someone would sit there trying to hammer things out, nowadays the bodywork is usually replaced with new parts and as such the most important aspect of the entire process is the paint work.
We all come to this hobby with different goals, means and circumstances. For me, I've loved the Porsche marque since I was a little kid. After a fantastic 10+ year ownership experience with my '00 Boxster S (now being enjoyed by my brother-in-law), I really wanted a GT3. I was looking for the experience of owning one of these cars, but I was not going to buy a $100k+ example. Buying a car that had been in a fender bender, that was fixed expertly by the account of the PPI and a top shelf body shop inspection, allowed me access to that ownership experience for much less money than what a 'clean' car would have cost me.

My car was not a cream puff, and still is far from perfect. I've spend a fair amount of elbow grease getting it to the point of being a pretty nice example. I feel good knowing that while at times in its life prior to me it's had some tuff days, now it's in good hands and cherished. It has been completely reliable, and I've love every moment I'm driving it and I'm looking at it.

So sure, a car that has had an accident will always have less value in the marketplace, but assuming the repairs were done correctly (and that certainly should be confirmed), that doesn't mean that car will be any less enjoyable. In some ways, like it was for me, it made the car more accessible.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny thing about paint work........ I recently turned my BMW back to the dealer, even though it had paint damage, not a dent, that I had touched up. I COULD OF had the whole fender painted. I chose not to, as the dealer would pull out the famous paint meter and claim accident damage, reducing the value of the car. However, they took many photos of the car and sent them to an estimator in Florida who responded with a value!!! So much for the meter.......
Old 10-15-2017, 02:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

MJSpeed is correct.
fixed right, car is just as new.
BUT MJSpeed is right.
the public get all freaked out and the freaking out part reduces the value.

paint meter works when you havr major fk up.
otherwise it's useless.
i have meaured car at factory delivery, you be surprised.
i also measured cars that are repainted. and you will be surprised too....

it's like how do you REALLY know a virgin is a virgin....
dont ask too many questions
turn off the light
if you feel good...
let it go.

Quick Reply: Effect of accident and track use on value