Old 11-29-2021, 10:38 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
a quick tack weld could do it.
maybe the heat could be an issue? Could also wire it up
or just do what bbi has done, a better bolt and red loctite

they did testing on the installed bolt from factory and found it was torqued beyond yield for the bolt. So, a Higher spec bolt and loctite. They do this fix on any engine opened up. Part of the routine like welding the pipes.

i agree with you in that this is not something worth over thinking too much.
Thanks for chiming in. I tried to google some info on what BBI does with the variocam but nothing came up. Based on what you said, sounds like they simply use a better grade 12.9 M6 bolt in place of the OEM M6 bolt and use red loctite along with a higher torque, not sure what that is however. Heck, guess one could use high temp JBweld on the bolt thread to really lock the bolts in for good.

I have a set of 7GT3 variocam adjusters on the bench to be used on my race 4.0 turbo engine build and will likely do the M7 bolt mod as documented by TPC here. Paired with red loctite it's probably the best bet for a permanent solution. Heck maybe even spot welding each M7 bolt to the lid for the ultimate peace of mind. The variocam adjuster is all metal so a little bit of heat from zapping the bolts with a Tig welder should not be an issue.

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-29-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I can ask betim this week. Have to head there and see how my antique is sorting out

Quick Reply: Cam Adjuster Bolts Backing Out