Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cam Adjuster Bolts Backing Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:45 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
I would like to expand on that one could monitor "Cam Deviation" using Durametric or PIWIS and record these values over time to see if they change and take action prior to a catastrophic failure. Any increase in deviation over time can be from an actuator, chain, guide rails, or even a tensioner. But at least the cam drive system as a whole can be evaluated externally by monitoring deviation(measured in degrees).

PS- we do offer the M7 bolt conversion service for workshops who don't have the machinery and the fixture.
You think you could see the deviation all of a sudden if cam bolts are backing out?

Hmm maybe I should try checking this
Old 08-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 962 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
You think you could see the deviation all of a sudden if cam bolts are backing out?

Hmm maybe I should try checking this
When bolts are backing out, you'll hear all kinds of ruckus, CEL, low oil pressure warning...so no need to continue to run the engine to check the cam deviation. Should the engine continues to run the cam deviation would be maxed out due to zero oil pressure operating the flaps inside the actuator.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 05-04-2019, 12:46 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts

Lots of threads on the cam bolt issue. Wasn't sure where to post this question, so I just picked this thread instead of starting another.
Let me first say, I love this car. Only put on about 300 miles so far, but it's glorious. But the two issues that are forever on my mind are the coolant pipes and the cam actuator bolts. I try to be hypervigilant about any changes in the sounds from the transmission. While I know it makes quite a ruckus at idle with the clutch out, is it normal for it to still sound like a bag of marbles (albeit less so) with the clutch engaged and driving at low speed? I never noticed it before but heard it today while negotiating a parking lot. Just trying to stay ahead of any potential (catastrophic) problems.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:18 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
Lots of threads on the cam bolt issue. Wasn't sure where to post this question, so I just picked this thread instead of starting another.
Let me first say, I love this car. Only put on about 300 miles so far, but it's glorious. But the two issues that are forever on my mind are the coolant pipes and the cam actuator bolts. I try to be hypervigilant about any changes in the sounds from the transmission. While I know it makes quite a ruckus at idle with the clutch out, is it normal for it to still sound like a bag of marbles (albeit less so) with the clutch engaged and driving at low speed? I never noticed it before but heard it today while negotiating a parking lot. Just trying to stay ahead of any potential (catastrophic) problems.
Do you have cup car cables installed? It's a popular mod and it will give you that sound at lower speeds.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:26 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ranger22
Do you have cup car cables installed? It's a popular mod and it will give you that sound at lower speeds.
Not that I'm aware of. If I don't, is it concerning that I'm getting the rattle at low speeds?
Old 05-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

Not that I'm aware of. If I don't, is it concerning that I'm getting the rattle at low speeds?
if the car is a stock base GT3 with dual mass flywheel, it should be fairly quiet. RS cars make some noise that the owners refer to as part of the “character”.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:45 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
if the car is a stock base GT3 with dual mass flywheel, it should be fairly quiet. RS cars make some noise that the owners refer to as part of the “character”.
It's a 7.2 RS with the SMFW. I'm ok with character. I'm not ok with impending motor implosion
Old 05-05-2019, 10:01 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 210 Posts

It's a 7.2 RS with the SMFW. I'm ok with character. I'm not ok with impending motor implosion
I don't think you can tell until it's too late. I really don't believe there are any warning signs of the bolts backing out.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:27 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

I don't think you can tell until it's too late. I really don't believe there are any warning signs of the bolts backing out.
Well, that's a mixed blessing, I guess. But I do recall one member here stating that he heard something not quite right with the normal rattle. Shut it down and fortunately saved himself from replacing the motor. Who knows if he actually heard something or just luck. I'd have to find the post.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:23 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

From the harmonic dampener thread. I think this was the post I was referring to earlier. This RL'er states he heard a rattle. Although, contrary to what I thought, I think the damage was already done at that point.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:59 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

In my experience and on my car, you will still hear the LWFW at slow speed and low RPM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:00 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJFDDS
In my experience and on my car, you will still hear the LWFW at slow speed and low RPM.
Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:45 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 81 Posts

Since I'm in the process of having my coolant pipes pinned on my 2011 RS, I will be checking the cam actuator bolts. Assuming they are in spec, would anyone recommend taking them out and putting thread locker on the bolt and retorque? If so, is the torque specs the same on both sides? TIA
Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan
Since I'm in the process of having my coolant pipes pinned on my 2011 RS, I will be checking the cam actuator bolts. Assuming they are in spec, would anyone recommend taking them out and putting thread locker on the bolt and retorque? If so, is the torque specs the same on both sides? TIA
I don't think there's a published torque spec on these bolts because they were never meant to be removed and reused. If you find an answer, let us know.

Are you getting the lines pinned as a precautionary measure or did one of them let go?
Old 05-08-2019, 04:18 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just sire them while you're in there? Pretty quick and easy and should ensure that they don't work themselves loose.

Quick Reply: Cam Adjuster Bolts Backing Out