Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

LIon battery dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:23 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default LIon battery dead

I guess we're coming to that time when a lot of owners will suffer the same fate. Smart charger started clicking off at 3/4 charge which was the first symptom. Left the car overnight in the trailer with Traqmate still connected and key in ignition (bad!) in 90 degree heat. Battery completely dead. What a pain to push out of the trailer, jumper the trunk circuit, and get to the battery.

Went with the smallest of the OEM lead acids. Put the LIon on a Battery Tender (Smart charger just gives error code) for 2 days and load test gives good readings, but it starts to lose charge pretty fast. I guess I could use as a track only battery for a little while longer, but I'll leave the trunk open anytime it's in the trailer.

I got a deal when I bought the car. I think the option price was $1500. Parts Dept wants $2500 for a new LIon.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:47 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

Possibly a bad cell and if the Li-Ion cells are not balanced that is bad news and a fire hazard.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

YES. DO NOT CHARGE IT!!!!!! Dispose of it.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:17 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

I second that. The battery is actually potentially now quite dangerous. Just get a new one.

Modoz may share his experience. But the lesson is dispose of the battery straight away. Today. Not in a week.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:28 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
I second that. The battery is actually potentially now quite dangerous. Just get a new one.

Modoz may share his experience. But the lesson is dispose of the battery straight away. Today. Not in a week.
Yes, I learnt a lot from trying to bring a dead LiOn back from the dead, not much of it good either.

I persisted with a hypothetical method for cell recovery.

Then placed the battery on a normal tender/charger.

Approx 15mins later I heard a pop, couldnt immediately notice anything then a further 5 mins and another pop.

This time, I saw smoke billowing from the cracked battery casing like steam from a kettle.

Panic was the first emotion, with the realisation that there must be intense heat associated with the failure and this heat was sitting right on the fuel tank.

Big breath and disconnected the battery and raced it outside where it spluttered and smoked for a further 150 mins!!

Then my research revealed something about LiOn cells, unlike their Lead Acid cousins Lithium cells are 100% efficient on donating their energy to collapsed cells, so while your battery is effectively dead at around the 70-80% discharge mark there is still significant energy within.

So I am in accord with others in the thread, dispose of it quickly and properly
Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

Yes, when they fail they are basically a flare. One of my hobbies is rc helicopters (like 5-6feet long) most are lithium Ion and yeah when they fail they do so in an epic fasiion.

Originally Posted by modoz61
Yes, I learnt a lot from trying to bring a dead LiOn back from the dead, not much of it good either.

I persisted with a hypothetical method for cell recovery.

Then placed the battery on a normal tender/charger.

Approx 15mins later I heard a pop, couldnt immediately notice anything then a further 5 mins and another pop.

This time, I saw smoke billowing from the cracked battery casing like steam from a kettle.

Panic was the first emotion, with the realisation that there must be intense heat associated with the failure and this heat was sitting right on the fuel tank.

Big breath and disconnected the battery and raced it outside where it spluttered and smoked for a further 150 mins!!

Then my research revealed something about LiOn cells, unlike their Lead Acid cousins Lithium cells are 100% efficient on donating their energy to collapsed cells, so while your battery is effectively dead at around the 70-80% discharge mark there is still significant energy within.

So I am in accord with others in the thread, dispose of it quickly and properly
Old 08-05-2017, 10:50 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Buy an interstate 35 lb battery or even a Porsche one for about $300. You will never know the difference.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Are you guys talking about this battery?

Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

We've had several li-ion's implode (rc hobbiest also), not fun!

I believe you can revert to a standard battery, but I'd check with your tech first because the li-ion states it needs special programming to instal in a car that didn't come with it from the factory.

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 08-07-2017, 04:26 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

First to the OP; dispose of it as I can assure you these are not the kind chemicals and other things you want to have to deal with. There are safe ways to test the battery, however first and foremost get it out of the car.

You can replace it with any other battery however you will need to let the ecu know you're no longer running a Li-Ion.

We replace many batteries on P-cars as they seem to be abnormally draining (pun intended) on their batteries. We have installed several brands of Li-Ion batteries but through experience (product quality and customer service) we are now exclusively a Voltphreaks facility.

Voltphreaks are here on Rennlist or if you'd like send me a PM and I'll be more than happy to assist.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:37 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as I know on 997.2 gt3 and rs, using the Porsche lion battery, you do not have to let the Ecu know you are using the lithium batttery whereas the 991, you do
Old 08-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

+1 on voltfreaks.

One really nice feature on their Battery - you cannot get them into a completely dead state. When they get to a certain capacity they shut off, and there is a button you push to turn them back on.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:49 AM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Medicopter
Are you guys talking about this battery?

The Porsche LiOn battery actually has built in protection circuits which basic open circuit the battery if the voltage gets too low. additionally the battery monitoring circuits beep once low voltage limits are approached so you are alerted to the recharge needed condition.

Some other LiOn battery types do not have these protection circuits - after all they add weight- we are only talking grams but that's the nature of weight loss. As such those without protection circuits present a larger problem if discharged too far.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:55 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

i have a voltphreaks vph-900 lithium ion battery with proper charger form sale if anyone needs one. 850$ shipped usa . paypal fees on the buyer

weighs 7 lbs.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2017, 11:37 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 58 Posts

I would be interested to take it apart. If I PM you my FEDEX number, would you send it to me? I will post up what I find...

Quick Reply: LIon battery dead