997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.8 x-51 MISS

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018 | 10:24 PM
DC911S
Drifting

If it was running for a while with unmetered air, the ECU could have tired to compensate by dumping more fuel into the engine and that will destroy a cat converter. The rattling could be the chunks of the catylist bouncing around. A overly rich mixture will do that. Also your O2 sensors could have gone bad too. So I would have them check the O2 sensors and perhaps use a mallet to tap on the cats to see if they hear anything. The shop can read the values the sensors are sending to the ECU.
Old 01-26-2018 | 10:23 AM
bldn10
Racer

I have never gotten any O2 or cat error codes but I assume they will check all that w/ the Durametric. Recall that I have been getting lean codes but maybe it will throw that code even if the ECU is able to compensate w/ more fuel. LTFTs have been around 99%. Funny you mention the cats because when I got the car the other day from the first shop I noticed for the first time a rattle on the LR underside. If my cats are bad I may just eliminate them.
Old 02-13-2018 | 06:55 PM
bldn10
Racer

I bought a salvaged ECU from Autogator for $125 and it has been installed and coded for my car. But there are some oddities. What a dea! I picked it up today and right off I got a low coolant warning but the temp was OK. The mechanic at the shop said it had been disconnected and he plugged it back in and they got the warning too. I suspect that the level sensor is bad and someone before me got tired of seeing it and unplugged it. I use an OBDII app to monitor temps so I may unplug it again. The front Control Module was also replaced and now I have daytime running lights that I never had before. On the way home I got a CEL w/ codes P0421 and 31. They have something to do w/ the cats and/or O2 sensors. I saw online where that was an issue w/ early Caymans, which electronically I now have again. I got on it a bit and it felt really strong; I may do an event before re-flashing it.

Quick Reply: 3.8 x-51 MISS