Sponsored by:

2009 997.2s Bose fiber optic stereo nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 PM
storch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 997.2s Bose fiber optic stereo nightmare

So last year I started to intermittently lose sound from my Bose Bluetooth stereo system, not knowing anything about it I brought it to my local car audio install store.
first off I didn't need an upgrade just wanted the sound to not cut out!!!

he quoted a Sony car play for $700 installed then after having it apart he informed me that I need a NAV tv most kit to make it work at another $575, two day after I get it back I lose sound again so I call him and he tells me it must be the amp so I send it out for repair ate $375.

ok I thought I'm a little deep into this repair but oh well so a few weeks later I have the amp in it and I am still having sound loss issues.

the car audio shop seems to be to busy now and isn't sure what to do anyway so I finally take it to a Porsche Specialty shop and they pull it apart and put the OEM head unit back to do a fiber optic system test that isn't easy because it comes and goes.
they finally figure out that the original problem was tha amp but the current problem is that the fiber optic wire that runs from the stereo to the amp is damaged under a sticker tag at the stereo NAV tv connection it's assumed that it happened when the stereo shop installed the system.
the charge for fiber optic trouble shooting and r&r stereo $430 Porsche fiber optic wire $190 and R&R passenger seat
Old 07-11-2017, 09:08 PM
storch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops the r&r passenger seat and wire install is yet to be done at an additional $280

so I think the stereo shop should buy back the stuff I didn't need and cover the repair bill since that obviously fractured the wire!!

i gave Hume a heads up what was going on and he tried back pedaling right away so this will be fun.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:25 PM
Kjjones
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking to replace my 997.2's radio, and this is not reassuring. Hope it works out for you.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:38 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 317 Posts

sounds like your person doesn't know what the hell they are talking about and rather than isolate a problem, just replacing random parts with non-oem mismatches.

cut your losses, start at square one
Old 03-07-2022, 08:41 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

This was an old thread but stereo shops are not known for having the best techs. I had an install done by a big well known shop in Sacramento and what those monkeys did was unbelievable. The list is too long to put here but all of the issues are from cutting corners because "easy button". One example I found immediately was that the 4 ga highly stranded power wire to my amp was just stripped pushed into the block and set screw cranked in. Never mind that the screw just pushed the wires out of the way and it could have fallen out during a bump big enough. Naa, no worries for a direct battery cable bouncing around shorting stuff... I mean it's not like it could cause a fire or anything... I ended up re-wiring most of the install and properly installing copper ferrules soldered on to power and ground wires. You need a torch to do those because 4 guage wire sucks up a LOT of heat so you have to get it hot fast and solder fast and don't be holding it with your hand when you do! Anyway, do your homework. Ask them if they solder their wires. If they do that they are probably a good shop. All wires should be soldered or terminated in something, a crimp connector for speaker wires, ferrules for power and ground and amp remote. No bare wires. It also saves you from constantly fixing poor connections after a couple years of bouncing and weather.

Quick Reply: 2009 997.2s Bose fiber optic stereo nightmare