Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK problems require full replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:14 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I'm new but not an owner yet...there has to be a PDK on a shelf somewhere next to a motor pulled out of a wreck(s) for way less.
If they won't do anything for you, bring it to a top shop nearby. Get some hard work done for less.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:26 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

I definitely am going to document it all as best I can. I still think there is good argument for them to show "good will" and at least help out. But past dealings with PNA opened my eyes to the reality unless I let them know I'm going to make the situation (looking customers into paying $17k when a $3.5k repair would likely fix the problem) very public they aren't going to budge.

Waiting to hear back from a couple of great mechanics here and if they say the $3.3k fix would work that's likely what I'll do then look into trading it in on something else. Full disclosure of issues of course.

Being calm and informed are powerful tools ... I seem to be getting more lessons about these than I care to have for awhile now.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Hi I'm new but not an owner yet...there has to be a PDK on a shelf somewhere next to a motor pulled out of a wreck(s) for way less.

If they won't do anything for you, bring it to a top shop nearby. Get some hard work done for less.
I'm sure there is one out there ... looking around they seem to be priced between $6k-$8k but after seeing a fix quoted for $3.3k then still pushing the $17k it's become an ethical thing for me. So if the lessor fix doesn't do the job it's likely going to be sold hopefully for a fair amount.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Btw .. unrelated .... is there a way to keep the site from timing out so quickly. Keeps timing me out before I finish a post.

Thanks

Ira
Old 07-11-2017, 07:33 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Did you actually see the open PDK unit? They might be playing into the 'repair now that everything's apart trick'.
Stealership's are way down near the bottom oil pan compared to a well engineered Porsche dry sump in this world..
Old 07-11-2017, 07:35 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Try the 'remember me' thing signing in...maybe?
Old 07-11-2017, 08:07 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

I'm finding it hard to gather why Porsche NA should help you?

You bought a CPO vehicle that is now outside of warranty.

You have No history of buying a new Porsche.

Has your vehicle maintenance including all regular service aka LOF's been done at a Porsche dealership? This could be your BIGGEST factor in getting some assistance.

From a business standpoint why should they help if no to the question above?
You're not in a 991 Porsche so "you can't do damage by shouting loudly" as your model is now a FULL generation behind....

They are on the 991.2..

What point is it yours and not their problem?

You got this all wrong, you NEED to begging for them to help you. YOU need to give them a REASON to help you.

Shouting at them isn't going to go your way I think

Just my .02 cents
Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the valve body replaced in my 981 at 21,000 km's - under warranty - apparently fixed the problem. So, yes, they do [on occasion] just fix whats broke....
Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The idea that you can't service these is a real bummer. I could live with having to rebuild an engine because I know that even though it costs a lot of $, I will have not only repaired it, but improved it. You will not get that $ back on resale, but it does add some value.

Seems that with a PDK replacement you are going to end up with the exact same thing you already have (hopefully with whatever running improvements have been made) and could face the same problem again. I recall some owners on their third PDK.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:43 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmh981
I had the valve body replaced in my 981 at 21,000 km's - under warranty - apparently fixed the problem. So, yes, they do [on occasion] just fix whats broke....
This is how the OP might have the dealer by the ***** - trying to sell him a new PDK when a less expensive fix is a viable option. Unacceptable if true.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

I'm finding it hard to gather why Porsche NA should help you?
You mean besides the fact that they quoted me $3.3k for fix what they found the problem?
Then when I said I approve it they tell me they won't do it as it won't fix the problem and
the whole trans needs to be replaced for $17k+-? Is there something wrong with standing
up for yourself when some corporation takes advantage of you.

Porsche mechanics are highly skilled and it makes no sense that Porsche policy says replace
without the chance to fix and not sure if there are doing this ... but they are likely refurbishing
the "broken trans" and reselling it. That's after making customers pay full amount for a new
one.

You're post implies I'm asking for something for free ... please do show me where I
said that. I'm asking to be treated fairly and ethically which this doesn't fit those
definitions.

Shouting at them? You must be confusing my thread with someone else's .. I haven't shouted
or even rudely to anyone about a repair needing to be done. This is my second 911 and if they
hadn't put this stupid policy in place there would have been a newer model bought this summer.

Maybe you can afford to just toss out $20k to replace the trans when it can be repaired for a fraction
of that amount. But I can't I worked hard to be able to own this car and I don't mind paying for the
problems that can happen with mechanical items ... but this is policy problem. So I'll take that .02¢
you tossed out and put it toward whatever I do.

I'd be willing to bet that you folks who have no problem with this policy would be singing a completely different tune if this was your car.

jmh981: I had the valve body replaced in my 981 at 21,000 km's - under warranty - apparently fixed the problem. So, yes, they do [on occasion] just fix whats broke....
Working on finding someone local to fix what I was told was broken. Also, check the computer codes again as well as the battery as suggested up thread. I know there are shops that will fix the issues. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
The idea that you can't service these is a real bummer. I could live with having to rebuild an engine because I know that even though it costs a lot of $, I will have not only repaired it, but improved it. You will not get that $ back on resale, but it does add some value.

Seems that with a PDK replacement you are going to end up with the exact same thing you already have (hopefully with whatever running improvements have been made) and could face the same problem again. I recall some owners on their third PDK.
My biggest issue with this event is that nowhere before I bought it .... did it say or was I made aware of that trans issues couldn't be fixed. Instead requiring a full replacement at that large cost. Anyhow ... expensive lesson learned. Eyes definitely wide open moving forward.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:13 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ira Zoot
Hi Northwest Chicago suburbs .... I'm going to call PNA tomorrow now that I have the test results. Pretty shady to say on one it can be fixed for $3.3k and on the other it says full replacement. Something is rotten much as I would like to keep believing Porsche is a stand up corp.
If you are in the NorthWest Burbs, I would assume you took the car to Autobarn?
Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Msingh ... No sir. Last car I bought from Autobarn has to have been 20+ years ago when they first opened a showroom in Evanston.

Rather not say dealership name as it's not them I have any real problem with. Pretty sure that PNA has dealers by the xxxxx when it comes to complying to policy. But I can tell you which it's not at and it's the other large official dealer up here here near Barrington ... not at Porsche Exchange. They were equally unable to offer any real help with this.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:28 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ira Zoot
Msingh ... No sir. Last car I bought from Autobarn has to have been 20+ years ago when they first opened a showroom in Evanston.

Rather not say dealership name as it's not them I have any real problem with. Pretty sure that PNA has dealers by the xxxxx when it comes to complying to policy. But I can tell you which it's not at and it's the other large official dealer up here here near Barrington ... not at Porsche Exchange. They were equally unable to offer any real help with this.

Fair and I get your point. I only mention as the guys at Porsche Exchange and the dealership in Springfield seem to have the highest classifications from Porsche.
In theory they should have the best mechanics around I would guess.

The guys I think you are alluding had a pretty low rating as i recall but i could be wrong.

As an aside maybe discuss with the folks at Fischer Motors? They are in Barrington.

Just an idea.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: PDK problems require full replacement