Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK problems require full replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update for the day .... dealer ran diagnostics again. I will have a full report on that tomorrow I'm told but again it sounded like a pressure issue. In any case, it must have been something that isn't supposed to fail as service manager told me they contacted Porsche NA and submitted "goodwill forms". Not sure how long it will take to see if Porsche NA will offer any "goodwill" but I'll take all the help I can get on this. Thanks again to all that posted in the thread ... update to come.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Again ... for those folks that have misread what I said and think that I meant I never thought that the trans could fail. Any part can and does fail ... and it costs money to fix those parts especially if out of warranty. Never said I had any problem with that.

The problem is the policy of having to replace the PDK trans for approx $17k even if it's a part that would have minimal cost and labor. This is what I was never made aware of ... if I was it's likely I would've found some alternative with a manual trans or an auto trans that can be opened, inspected and repaired. Like is the case with most others ...

Maybe I'm a rarity here in the sense that I can't afford just pay out $20k without at least a chance to know if it can be fixed for less. Anyhow ...
Old 07-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

SnP: I haven't said much in the way of telling them to check this or that. They are a pretty big dealer and service center soI didn't want to "backseat drive" ... yet. If they don't come back with some good news I'll mention the coils, chip, battery as well as few other things suggested. Thanks! Ira
Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty sure I read, likely on the 991 forum, that they're now offering rebuilt units, as opposed to only brand new PDKs, from PCNA or Porsche themselves. I guess it took a while to build up enough old ones to rebuild and send back out. Something like that. I remember reading someone had that done recently, and it cost something like $6k for a fully rebuilt unit, which is still high, but much more reasonable. Someone can go and search for that thread/post. I remember feeling hopeful after hearing about that. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am....
Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ten Years
Pretty sure I read, likely on the 991 forum, that they're now offering rebuilt units, as opposed to only brand new PDKs, from PCNA or Porsche themselves. I guess it took a while to build up enough old ones to rebuild and send back out. Something like that. I remember reading someone had that done recently, and it cost something like $6k for a fully rebuilt unit, which is still high, but much more reasonable. Someone can go and search for that thread/post. I remember feeling hopeful after hearing about that. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am....
Thanks for mentioning it. Just sitting on my hands waiting to hear back from dealer tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by david
I like this idea: do you know what the cost would be? Does the pricing vary based on any factors (time, miles driven, etc.)?
It cost me around 1200-1400ukp a year, for full warranty + roadside assistance. Condition was EVERYTHING remained stock. Tyres had to be N rated, wiper blades original, battery OEM, etc.

I had a pretty good relationship with my dealers service dept, so they were sometimes of the dont ask dont tell variety, but i wouldnt have wanted to push, say, an electrical fault with a Bosch battery under the frunk.

Cheaper if you buy 2 years at a time. transferrable private sale only.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

HI Folks .... so just got the report and it's as follows:

REPLACE VALVE BODY ON TRANSMISSION

OBSERVATIONS:
FOUND VALVE BODY TO BE SOURCE OF FAILURE

$3,274.32

Prior to looking at the emailed docs I spoke with the service manager and was told
that replacing the trans was needed. Sighed ... thanks and hung up. Then opened
one of the docs and saw the above about replacing the valve body for the $3.4k and
change.

So, now I'm further confused. I'm being told I need to replace the trans but here in
report its saying I can fix the problem for a sixth +- of what replace cost would be.
I called him back and asked why didn't he just tell me about this repair? I would have
signed off in a minute on it. Also found out I don't qualify for any Porsche "goodwill"
which really isn't a surprise.

Well, he says we can fix it but it's likely to still not fix the problem requiring still the
replacement. I don't know what to believe ... full trans replacement isn't an option
but if the valve replacement would work I want to do that.

Which adds another question if I were get the valve body fixed and it didn't work ...
do I get my payment back or am I out the $3k? In the meantime ... I'm contacting
other mechs recommended by friends in PCA.

This is so much fun ...

Thanks again,

Ira
The following users liked this post:
Jwgilmore (02-26-2020)
Old 07-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Stay calm Ira, this to will pass.......
Old 07-11-2017, 05:15 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Which adds another question if I were get the valve body fixed and it didn't work ...
do I get my payment back or am I out the $3k?
Probably so......they don't want to eat the cost of parts and labor.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira Zoot

OBSERVATIONS:

$3,274.32
Interesting.... I am looking at my parts Katalog and there is no "valve body" relating to the PDK..... the only parts are the whole unit, heat exchanger, and some shaft bits........ I wonder if this is the start of Porsche moving to dealers doing some servicing.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-11-2017, 05:43 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought all dealer repairs had a two year/ 24k mile warranty.

OBSERVATIONS:

$3,274.32

Prior to looking at the emailed docs I spoke with the service manager and was told
that replacing the trans was needed. Sighed ... thanks and hung up. Then opened
one of the docs and saw the above about replacing the valve body for the $3.4k and
change.

So, now I'm further confused. I'm being told I need to replace the trans but here in
report its saying I can fix the problem for a sixth +- of what replace cost would be.
I called him back and asked why didn't he just tell me about this repair? I would have
signed off in a minute on it. Also found out I don't qualify for any Porsche "goodwill"
which really isn't a surprise.

Well, he says we can fix it but it's likely to still not fix the problem requiring still the
replacement. I don't know what to believe ... full trans replacement isn't an option
but if the valve replacement would work I want to do that.

do I get my payment back or am I out the $3k? In the meantime ... I'm contacting
other mechs recommended by friends in PCA.

This is so much fun ...

Thanks again,

Ira
Old 07-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ira,

You should send an email to Porsche Corporate and ask. The customer has a different kind of push than the dealership.

I found a Valve Body for a PDK (for the Panamera - but it looks pretty cool.)

Also, where are you located? I apologize if this was mentioned in a previous post.

https://www.pacificmotors.com/auto-p...a-970-2010-15/
Old 07-11-2017, 06:00 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Stay calm Ira, this to will pass.......

I am Not so much agree as disappointed in PNA policy. But as you said it will pass. If I have to take the loss maybe I can write it off?

Originally Posted by DC911S
Probably so......they don't want to eat the cost of parts and labor..
No word back on that yet ... but my bet would be no refund. Best case they give me some credit Which wouldn't do much good since I wouldn't own a Porsche anymore

Originally Posted by Bruce in Philly
Interesting.... I am looking at my parts Katalog and there is no "valve body" relating to the PDK..... the only parts are the whole unit, heat exchanger, and some shaft bits........ I wonder if this is the start of Porsche moving to dealers doing some servicing.
Maybe the case ... but in this one it feels more like "tease" since when I said if it's $3.3k to get it working where do I sign. Then he says he doesn't recommend it as it will likely still need a replacement. So, now I have to wonder if they are just working some script to get me to sign off on replacement?

Originally Posted by jkw911
I thought all dealer repairs had a two year/ 24k mile warranty.
You would think. But as I said ... I called him back and said if this would fix the problem for the price quoted where do I sign. He said he doesn't recommend doing it as it's just going to need to be replaced.

I've got some calls out to people about this with far more experience than I have and hope to figure it out. But it really is feeling more and more slimey policy to suck more money from pockets to me. Why give or show me the low quote if it's not an option that would work?

The drama continues
Old 07-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Originally Posted by Benihana242
Ira,

You should send an email to Porsche Corporate and ask. The customer has a different kind of push than the dealership.

I found a Valve Body for a PDK (for the Panamera - but it looks pretty cool.)

Also, where are you located? I apologize if this was mentioned in a previous post.

https://www.pacificmotors.com/auto-p...a-970-2010-15/
Hi Northwest Chicago suburbs .... I'm going to call PNA tomorrow now that I have the test results. Pretty shady to say on one it can be fixed for $3.3k and on the other it says full replacement. Something is rotten much as I would like to keep believing Porsche is a stand up corp.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:24 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Northwest Chicago suburbs .... I'm going to call PNA tomorrow now that I have the test results. Pretty shady to say on one it can be fixed for $3.3k and on the other it says full replacement. Something is rotten much as I would like to keep believing Porsche is a stand up corp.
It is best to document all conversations and draft a letter with all of the events that led up to you reaching out to PNA and upon determining who is assigned your case, you can share that letter/timeline so they know you are feeling highly uncomfortable with the dealer, by noting every conversation, decision-point (or not) and so forth...staying calm is also excellent direction!

Last edited by david; 07-11-2017 at 07:19 PM. Reason: more

Quick Reply: PDK problems require full replacement