997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal on a GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017 | 02:06 AM
82_930
Pro

The dealer is probably lying about it not having any track time... why else would the racing hook be there? Same goes for the black rock guards being there and the fact that it is lightly optioned. All indicators to me that this car was a track toy.
Old 07-06-2017 | 02:34 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 82_930
The dealer is probably lying about it not having any track time... why else would the racing hook be there? Same goes for the black rock guards being there and the fact that it is lightly optioned. All indicators to me that this car was a track toy.
I don't agree with any of this. Black guards looks great on a white car, and I have my tow hook on my C4S cab purely because I think it looks cool. It's never been tracked or towed.

I don't know this white GTS at all, so not in a position to say whether it's been tracked or not, but the tow hook and guards alone certainly don't mean it definitely has been either.
Old 07-06-2017 | 06:50 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
Isn't SPASM just the same suspension with slightly lower springs? If so, why not just install Eibachs? They will only give you a minimal drop of 15mm or so on PASM.

LSD, that is harder to replicate for very little money, but SPASM isn't worth passing on a car for, IMO. If a non-SPASM car was a "good deal" and $3k less than a SPASM car, you can almost do a full PSS10 install for that money, which runs circles around a simple lowering spring.
SPASM incorporates shorter, firmer springs, revalved shocks and stiffer sway bars
(to my knowledge)... it also comes with LSD. At least in the GTS it does. Package deal. And I didn't consider any GTS without it. Simply for the fact of me being able to drive the car for at least a year or two before getting into the suspension to make changes. I'll end up doing a more aggressive setup but my whole thing with getting the GTS was to get a car I wouldn't immediately start doing mechanical modifications to. Get something that was actually complete from the factory.
Old 07-06-2017 | 10:01 AM
rickster997
Pro

What is the VIN decoder description for SPASM?

So I found :
030 PASM SportsSuspension(- 20 mm)
but also
220 Limit Slip Rear Different Lock
P17 Sports Suspension

Out of 20 or so I have found listed many have 220/P17, but only one had 030. What is the difference? There are conflicting posts. Some say p17 lowers the car and gives stiffer springs.

Found the answer... https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/997.2/

P17
Option package incl. 030 220

Last edited by rickster997; 07-06-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2017 | 10:15 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 82_930
A lot of people put tow hooks on performance cars to make their cars look sporty as it is a cheap poser mod considering there is a factory tow hook in the bonnet already.

If you have been around Porsches for a while, the black guards are reminiscent of the black guards used on 930s and Speedsters and is just an old school look versus race track look.

So what if a car has been tracked provided there are no over revs from bad down shifting at end of long straights into hairpins and etc. After instructing for PCA over the course of 3 decades and every other car club from racing organization out there, most guys running around in newer 911s at HPDEs drive them that hard or are anywhere near the car's limits and these cars can handle it and these cars are generally well maintained.

I would rather have a lightly tracked car that is well maintained than a super low mileage garage queen that rarely gets driven hard and sits for periods of time.
Old 07-06-2017 | 01:55 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug H
I would rather have a lightly tracked car that is well maintained than a super low mileage garage queen that rarely gets driven hard and sits for periods of time.
Absolutely. Someone doing HPDE with a late model 911 is at very least taking it through the full rev range, getting it inspected, and bringing all the brakes, fluids, tires, and safety equipment up to snuff regularly. Certainly can't say that for a car that sits in a garage and travels only on the weekends for a low speed low rev lazy drive.
Old 07-06-2017 | 04:31 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

I know this car..... it was mine

A little info on it - I purchased it from a dealer in Atlanta back in 8/2015.

It belonged to the General Manager who had been bouncing around from dealership to dealership in the same dealer group - Texas to Florida to Atlanta. It was being sold in one of their stores that carried a bunch of highline used cars. I spoke to him and I felt he was truthful in what he represented to me, I am in sales so I can smell bull**** pretty easily. I believe he was the third owner, making me the fourth. I purchased it with 30k miles on it and drove it home from Atlanta to NJ, a 900 mile trip without any incidents.
The car has been on the track a small handful of times, never in any run group higher than pca white and never driven past 7/10ths (I have 2 dedicated track cars for that), never driven on salted roads, rarely driven in the rain and stored in a climate controlled garage in my home under cover. Every time the car came back from the track it underwent an oil change with Joe Gibbs Racing DT40. I would change the oil in November when putting it away and again in the spring when the weather cleared up. I don't think the car ever went over 2500 miles without an oil change. I would flush the brakes in the spring and late summer with motul 600. Shortly after purchasing the car one of the rear struts developed a leak, I changed both rears to OEM units. When the rear struts went in I swapped out the rear wheel bearings as well as I thought one was a little noisy. While on the subject of struts.... I am pretty sure the pasm and spasm cars use the exact same part number strut, the only difference is that the spasm have 10mm shorter springs. I personally like the additional 10mm or .4 inches of ride clearance. I know some have mentioned that a rear diff is a big thing in these cars but that is a little overrated unless you plan on tracking the car at 9/10ths or more all the time. The weight transfer of this car on throttle is sublime, the wide hips and stance really put the power down without any problems.

As the car sits today at the dealer there are no problems that I am aware of. The Brembo rotors are practically new with less than 1500 miles on them as well as the brake pads and brake fluid. The car has 996 GT3 front lower control arms that I installed on it sometime in the middle of last year, it also has a Speed Tech X pipe which was installed in March of 2016. The original muffler will be with the car wrapped up in a blanket. The tires have less than 1500 miles on them and 2 of the TPMS sensors are brand new. All 4 of the centerlock internal locks (hub side) were changed in the beginning of this year as general maintenance. The car has a Optima Red battery newly installed earlier this year as well. The tow hook is on the car because that is where I attached the front license plate to the car as NJ is a front plate state, the dealer should have the bumper plug for the car.

This car was well maintained, probably more than most cars for sale and was never left wanting or needing any maintenance. I decided to trade it in as the Maserati dealership had a very clean 1987 930 on the floor which I thought was properly priced and the sales tax break on a trade in made the deal even sweeter. I have been looking to get into a 930 for a while and this one checked all the boxes. I would not hesitate to get into this car and drive it on a long journey or take it out on the track. The car has never been in an accident or flood under my watch. I bought it with a clean car fax resembling the one it has at the moment.

I hope this answers all the questions asked.

Last edited by Santi; 07-06-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2017 | 09:39 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Santi
I know this car..... it was mine

A little info on it - I purchased it from a dealer in Atlanta back in 8/2015.

It belonged to the General Manager who had been bouncing around from dealership to dealership in the same dealer group - Texas to Florida to Atlanta. It was being sold in one of their stores that carried a bunch of highline used cars. I spoke to him and I felt he was truthful in what he represented to me, I am in sales so I can smell bull**** pretty easily. I believe he was the third owner, making me the fourth. I purchased it with 30k miles on it and drove it home from Atlanta to NJ, a 900 mile trip without any incidents.
The car has been on the track a small handful of times, never in any run group higher than pca white and never driven past 7/10ths (I have 2 dedicated track cars for that), never driven on salted roads, rarely driven in the rain and stored in a climate controlled garage in my home under cover. Every time the car came back from the track it underwent an oil change with Joe Gibbs Racing DT40. I would change the oil in November when putting it away and again in the spring when the weather cleared up. I don't think the car ever went over 2500 miles without an oil change. I would flush the brakes in the spring and late summer with motul 600. Shortly after purchasing the car one of the rear struts developed a leak, I changed both rears to OEM units. When the rear struts went in I swapped out the rear wheel bearings as well as I thought one was a little noisy. While on the subject of struts.... I am pretty sure the pasm and spasm cars use the exact same part number strut, the only difference is that the spasm have 10mm shorter springs. I personally like the additional 10mm or .4 inches of ride clearance. I know some have mentioned that a rear diff is a big thing in these cars but that is a little overrated unless you plan on tracking the car at 9/10ths or more all the time. The weight transfer of this car on throttle is sublime, the wide hips and stance really put the power down without any problems.

As the car sits today at the dealer there are no problems that I am aware of. The Brembo rotors are practically new with less than 1500 miles on them as well as the brake pads and brake fluid. The car has 996 GT3 front lower control arms that I installed on it sometime in the middle of last year, it also has a Speed Tech X pipe which was installed in March of 2016. The original muffler will be with the car wrapped up in a blanket. The tires have less than 1500 miles on them and 2 of the TPMS sensors are brand new. All 4 of the centerlock internal locks (hub side) were changed in the beginning of this year as general maintenance. The car has a Optima Red battery newly installed earlier this year as well. The tow hook is on the car because that is where I attached the front license plate to the car as NJ is a front plate state, the dealer should have the bumper plug for the car.

This car was well maintained, probably more than most cars for sale and was never left wanting or needing any maintenance. I decided to trade it in as the Maserati dealership had a very clean 1987 930 on the floor which I thought was properly priced and the sales tax break on a trade in made the deal even sweeter. I have been looking to get into a 930 for a while and this one checked all the boxes. I would not hesitate to get into this car and drive it on a long journey or take it out on the track. The car has never been in an accident or flood under my watch. I bought it with a clean car fax resembling the one it has at the moment.

I hope this answers all the questions asked.
This is awesome, so glad that you chimed in and what an awesome car that you had. Did it happen to have the 40k service done since that is a bigger service? Also does it have a clear bra? And does it have an paint issues? But what an awesome car. Someone is going to get an excellent car, and if I was in the financial position to buy right at this moment, I probably would, especially since you discussed the history of the car.
Old 07-06-2017 | 10:02 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Yes the 40k was done, new plugs, filters etc...

I put a 1/2 hood clear bra including mirrors and roofline. It has 1 small chip on the hood that was there prior to purchase. I think thats about it, if I remember anything else I will post it up. I edited my post numerous times today as I kept on remembering different items.
Old 07-06-2017 | 10:46 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fined
SPASM incorporates shorter, firmer springs, revalved shocks and stiffer sway bars
(to my knowledge)... it also comes with LSD. At least in the GTS it does. Package deal. And I didn't consider any GTS without it. Simply for the fact of me being able to drive the car for at least a year or two before getting into the suspension to make changes. I'll end up doing a more aggressive setup but my whole thing with getting the GTS was to get a car I wouldn't immediately start doing mechanical modifications to. Get something that was actually complete from the factory.
Is that SPASM only, or the SPASM/LSD combo? Good info to know!
Old 07-06-2017 | 11:20 PM
motopix
Pro

I'm not sure I see the value here. SPASM seems like overkill as PASM is already overly harsh on the street and Porsche's LSD is notorious for crapping out in record time (10-20k from what I recall).
Old 07-06-2017 | 11:51 PM
DC911S
Drifting

In normal street driving you are not going to burn up the LSD. You have to track it pretty hard to burn up the internal plates in the LSD. Don't worry about it
Old 07-06-2017 | 11:55 PM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by DC911S
In normal street driving you are not going to burn up the LSD. You have to track it pretty hard to burn up the internal plates in the LSD. Don't worry about it
Then you don't need LSD.
Old 07-07-2017 | 12:11 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

You don't need LSD???? No, you don't but the car will drive a lot better on the street with it if you plan to do any "spirited" driving, which, for me is what driving a Porsche is all about. So maybe you don't need a Porsche - buy a 62 Ford Falcon. Sorry about this flame but I'm an old guy - get off my lawn too.
Old 07-07-2017 | 01:33 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motopix
I'm not sure I see the value here. SPASM seems like overkill as PASM is already overly harsh on the street and Porsche's LSD is notorious for crapping out in record time (10-20k from what I recall).
You're thinking of factory LSD in the Getrag trans units. The 997.2 uses an AISIN unit which does not have the issues the Getrag units do.

Here's some more info on that from Guard Transmission:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13981436

Quick Reply: Good deal on a GTS