997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200 mile drive, what should I take?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017 | 01:58 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 1200 mile drive, what should I take?

I am going to be driving to the Porsche Parade. This is a 1300 mile drive from where I am. Any one have any idea on what tools, parts etc. I need to take? Just in case I break down.

Car is a 2006 C2S
I just put the engine and tranny in (Engine 70k miles, Tranny 2500 miles)

New rad hoses and pressurized when put coolant in. The car has been on the track twice and never overheated or stalled on me.

What would you guys take on such a long trip. Oh, upgrading my triple AAA too.
Old 06-30-2017 | 02:36 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Some suggestions:

-small air compressor
-tire repair kit
-extra engine oil, 1L
-small battery boost thingy (I have a Noco unit in each car)
-maybe a spare MAF sensor
-Durametric
-and therefore laptop, but maybe just an OBD2 scanner

The car is so small, there's not a lot of extra space for tools and such. Some torx drivers, some wrenches, some pliers, a small socket set maybe? But then realizing even changing the serpentine belt will need more than that.
Old 06-30-2017 | 08:58 AM
sober_owl
Racer

Just a spare tire and jack... Unless ur planning to race on the way there... Then u need all of the above...AAA gives u 1000 miles free tow so that has u covered..
Old 06-30-2017 | 08:59 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Perhaps some PS fluid too. Small bottle of mixed coolant.
Old 06-30-2017 | 10:01 AM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Not to be too pessimistic (but better to be prepared), a list of independent repair shops (dealers too, if you're OK with the premium you'd normally pay) along the way so if the bad event happens you can calmly get a tow there.

With regard to the other bits, if you're a serious DIY-er then you'd want a bunch of hand tools and a jack and some racers tape, etc. If you're just going to get a tow, then probably just a tire repair kit and small unfilled gas can (in case you run out of fuel; it can haul water too if a coolant leak develops) to get you to the next town.

Even though I hadn't changed out my engine and tranny, I admit I still sweated a few bullets on my first 800 mile trip after becoming an new-to-Porsche (and probably too much reading about IMS and bore scoring) owner of my C2S. It was just worry though, everything went fine (likely due to the prior maintenance and my maintenance).
Old 06-30-2017 | 10:29 AM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Jeez, just check your fluids, tire pressure, pack and go. These cars are more reliable than a Honda if maintained properly because they are better built. Enjoy the trip!
Old 06-30-2017 | 10:33 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Sunglasses and SPF.
And a camera to take great photo's to post later.
diver safe
Old 06-30-2017 | 10:45 AM
extanker
Banned

2 credit cards and cash the size of a crack dealers monay wad .....if you are really scared take the title with ya too
Old 06-30-2017 | 11:56 AM
Evilfrog
Intermediate

A change of clothes and an extra pair of undies.
Old 06-30-2017 | 12:12 PM
Shaymus
Track Day

"Jeez, just check your fluids, tire pressure, pack and go. These cars are more reliable than a Honda if maintained properly because they are better built. Enjoy the trip! "

Agreed!
Old 06-30-2017 | 12:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by ocmacman
I am going to be driving to the Porsche Parade. This is a 1300 mile drive from where I am. Any one have any idea on what tools, parts etc. I need to take? Just in case I break down.

Car is a 2006 C2S
I just put the engine and tranny in (Engine 70k miles, Tranny 2500 miles)

New rad hoses and pressurized when put coolant in. The car has been on the track twice and never overheated or stalled on me.

What would you guys take on such a long trip. Oh, upgrading my triple AAA too.
Been on a number of road trips (~4K miles or more) with my Boxster and my Turbo. The only thing I carry is an extra bottle of engine oil.

I have AAA premium auto club membership just in case.

I keep the cars up to date regarding servicing and have no on going issues like a slow coolant leak or a tire that goes low over a while, etc.

Before I leave the local dealer service manager will get one of the techs to put the car on a lift and give it a "road worthiness" inspection. Mainly the tech checks for any leak sign or for anything in the tires. He advises me regarding brake and tire condition. My advice, based on my experience, is avoid if at all possible venturing out on worn out or nearly worn out tires. These tires are much more likely to pick up something when nearly worn out.

Be very mindful of the speed limits. Local cops can be very aggressive enforcing speed laws. When coming up to a small town with lower than usual speed limits posted be sure you are at or under the speed limit *before* you get to the sign. In fact once in a while I spot a cruiser with radar -- I have a V1 -- and the officer is using the radar to check vehicle speed *before* the sign. This is wrong but it is done.

Full stops at all the stop signs. Avoid running any even yellow lights. Just be on your best behavior. The local yokels can get away with murder but a driver in a Porsche especially with out of state plates... you'll get a ticket.

Fill up at busy name brand top tier gas stations. Avoid leaving anything of any value visible in the car when you leave the car. Always lock the car. Be mindful of your surroundings when walking up to the car.

Park the car legally. Don't try to take 2 places to avoid someone parking next to your car. Park away from the entrance -- at night in a lighted area if possible -- but you will still have other cars parked next to your car when you come out.
Old 06-30-2017 | 12:21 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

This link

https://www.pcarshops.com/
Old 06-30-2017 | 12:49 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Pay with cash, if you are buying fuel from a questionable vendor.
I just installed Esso speed pass on my phone. Tap tap done. Don't know if it is in the California yet.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/esso...047892801?mt=8
Old 06-30-2017 | 12:56 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am in the middle of a three thousand miles trip, the 2nd I've taken this year.... My list:

- tire plug kit
- three bags of Doritos ( monster size)
- random Starbucks napkins jammed between the seats
- something rattling under passenger seat
- an offensive attitude
- cheapo Bluetooth headset cause Porsche's system sucks
- bag 'o rocks
- hidden twenty dollar bill

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-30-2017 | 01:00 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

You have AAA, Just go......

Quick Reply: 1200 mile drive, what should I take?