Fidelity Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:11 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fidelity Warranty Question

Hey -

Hope someone can help. I am looking at a 997 and was considering a Fidelity Warranty - I don't (think) in need the Platinum, I just want the Power-train Coverage in case the IMS bearing were to go bust. My question is can they "legal" themselves out of covering the bearing? From their page:

Engine block and cylinder heads and all internally lubricated parts including pistons, piston rings, pins and cylinder sleeves; crankshaft, pulley, main bearings, caps and bolts; connecting rods, rod bearings, caps and bolts; camshaft(s), camshaft bearings, buttons and plugs; timing gears, chain or belt, and tensioner; rocker arms, rocker arm pivots, shafts and bushings; intake and exhaust valves, springs, guides, adjusters, retainers and seats; pushrods and lifters; intake manifold; exhaust manifolds; balance shaft; water pump; fuel pump; thermostat; oil pump, cover, gears, pressure relief valve and screen; rotor housing, rotors, shims and silent shaft; all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts....

I think it's a stupid question - if the IMS goes, it take the whole engine down and I don't see how they wouldn't cover it....and when I find the car, I'll talk to someone at Fidelity first but has anyone ever experienced this coverage level or any lawyers see holes? The IMS Bearing is a specific component and I'm not sure if it falls into "Lubricated parts" or under "pulley" or "camshafts"....or could it be opted out.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long post.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:47 AM
nk215
Instructor

Get the Platinum. They don't fight Platinum claims as often as they will with lower levels.

It's not about which parts are covers, it's about why it fails and which uncovered part may (or maynot) trigger The IMS failure. You'll be fighting all the way.

For example, they took the engine apart and see some carbon build up. The adjuster may say you neglect the car, the plugs misfire and cause IMS failure. He would say plugs are not covered so you are on your own with IMS. We all know that's BS but you'll waste so much time fighting them.

He may say IMS bearing is a wear and tear item and is not covered and it causes the engine to blow up so you are on your own. You'll waste more time fighting that too.

They'll send two difference adjusters each has a difference theories and you'll be fighting both.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:30 PM
gtvr6
Advanced

The price I was quoted for the Platinum was astronomical - I might as well roll the dice and replace the engine if the IMS were to go. I want something that covers the drive-train components and the "Powertrain" level seems to be priced right (perhaps because they won't pay) to cover what I would want.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

As noted above, buy the Platinum (exclusionary) policy. Or just self insure and not buy anything.

What MY 997 are we talking about?
Old 06-29-2017, 01:00 PM
nk215
Instructor

If IMS bearing is you major concern then have it fixed for around $2,500.

Ff the car you are looking at have 80K miles or so then you can roll the dice and most likely you won't have IMS bearing issue.

Really, for peace of mind, pay the $2,500 to have the IMS solution done and never have to think about it.

Until you start to read about bore scoring that is.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:03 PM
gtvr6
Advanced

I'm between two - there's a 2006 I was seriously looking at but the seller is on vacation and when he comes back I'm going on vacation. A 2005 just came to market and I'm looking at that one a bit closer.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:22 PM
nk215
Instructor

2006 has no IMS bearing issue (same with mid to late 2005 model).
Old 06-29-2017, 01:38 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by nk215
2006 has no IMS bearing issue (same with mid to late 2005 model).
?

2006 to 2008 cars can have IMS that fails. Whether or not it is an "issue" has been debated plenty of times.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:46 PM
earranagu
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skip it and save the money for the unexpected... I did lot of research on after market warranty and spoke to couple of Indys about. The top rated, platinum plans are very expensive and the cheap one's are known for denying the claims. The 997's are pretty reliable and there's one thread collecting data about IMS failures and the % is very low. So, its an insurance policy and you may never use it.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:27 PM
gtvr6
Advanced

I've been researching these cars to the point that I'm sick of it. Originally, I was looking at the '05s because you could replace the bearing (where as the '06 and on you could not). Then I realized the '06 had a "stronger" bearing and stopped looking at '05's and went exclusively with the '06 and up.

I was going to pass up on the warranty and then recently I got on that kick again. There are way too many rules with these cars. Lets confuse this a bit more - if there's a high mileage '05 - say with 90k, would you trust that over an '05 with 50k?
Old 06-29-2017, 05:04 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gtvr6,

You going to drive yourself nuts!

Just find the car you want, get a PPI and if it passes with no issues...negotiate a good price and buy it.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:10 PM
nk215
Instructor

I personally won't buy a car with 90k miles regardless of brand. 50K miles is pushing it for me personally, again any brand.

There's no real different between 05 and 06 if the IMS bearing is the larger type on the 05 or get replaced on a 05 model.

From your post, I have a feeling that you are trying hard to stay within a tight budget. If that is true then I recommend walking away for a few years. While the P-cars depreciate quickly, parts, labor and insurance do not. The car eats tires for lunch (10K miles for rear, double that for front) and those are not cheap tires.

If you have to make too many compromises due to budget, you won't be truly happy with the car. Wait until the car you really want shows up within your budget. That will happen.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:51 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

I want to thank everyone for the advice. -

@ earranagu - I had convinced myself to pass on the warranty, not sure why I went back to it recently but I think I'm leaning towards rolling the dice.

@ BER - You're right (I think my wife is ready to kill me). Again, I was set on waiting for the '06 and then a friend sent me a message about the '05...I am leaning towards waiting.

@ nk215 - I'm have a tight budget because I'm cheap. In all seriousness, this isn't going to be a daily driven car, it's going to be my third car and a toy that I can take long drives with my wife/kids and while I say I would use it every weekend during the warmer seasons, I know my reality won't let me. So I would rather spend as little as I have to - that said, these cars are pretty much at the bottom of their depreciation curve (sorry, I am an accountant) so which ever I get would hold most of it's value. Maybe in a few years I can track it or get more use out of it but for now, it's a car that I'm sick of staring at it on a screen or driving by - I can afford it now and I would like to be in the drivers seat before I get too old to drive a stick or it'll really look like a midlife crisis car. As for the parts/labor, I like the 997 because a lot can be DIY'ed and parts are actually cheaper than my '07 335i (unless the IMS bearing goes and it eats it's engine).

Thanks guy's I appreciate everyone listening.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:39 PM
gtvr6
Advanced

One more question for the masses - I found an '05 that the carfax states the "short block" was replaced....I asked the dealer for the engine number to figure out if it has the newer style bearing and the code printed is M96/05AT - WTH is that?????

It was done on 09/12/2015 with 44,969 miles on the car... Newer IMS bearing or old one?
Old 07-01-2017, 12:30 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Short block is usually just the cases with new pistons but the heads and valve gear to transferred over from the old to new engine. So good chance it's not the upgraded bearing.

Quick Reply: Fidelity Warranty Question