Sponsored by:

Dr. Chip questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:36 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Dr. Chip questions

I got the basic Dr. Chip kit, B9 white, and while I think the results look ok, not sure if I did the dabbing and smearing correctly, I did a small area and it looked fine, but on a roof repair (slightly inclined surface, near sunroof gap) it's kinda uneven looking. I tried a few different methods, using the brush then moving a finger across, it seemed to pick up the paint rather than cover it.

I did find the sealant part to be good a removing the excess paint, it also would sometimes remove all of the touch up paint? It did however do a great job of removing some weird film on the inside door jam (like a dark residue around the paint on the lower lip of the door).
Old 06-11-2017, 12:25 AM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a big fan of Dr. Color chip, but it does take practice. The more you use it, the better you will get at applying and removing it. Using the blending solutions takes the most practice. I like to use multiple coats weeks apart to help fill in chips.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:57 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

You get less paint removal is you use the clear spatula-like silicone tool for spreading the paint instead of your finger... I gave up on the finger approach. Using the tool gently at a very shallow angle (almost flat to the paint) seems to remove less from the chip too.

I also use the clear tool to pull away as much excess from the actual chip right away so that I spend less time using the sealact solution to remove stuff adjacent to what I'm trying to repair and inadvertently removing more paint than desired from the chip. After the initial dry time in a few minutes, I again don't use my finger to rub over the repaired area. Instead I wrap a thin microfiber cloth over the silicone tool and rub very lightly with the flat part of it so I don't applied pressure down into the chip.

It does take some time and experimentation to develop a good technique that works well, but at least the experiments don't seem to cause a problem since you can pretty much clean it all back away if needed.

Similar to what ronvanr recommends, for the few bigger/deeper fills I've had on various cars, I've done a few passes in a day about 30-60 minutes apart, then waited several days to a week, then did more. If you do them sooner the prior paint just hasn't fully hardened and keeps getting rubbed back off by the sealact solution.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:48 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Dr. Chip recommended just brushing on the paint in areas that have a curve in them, rather than the smear technique.

I will say after detailing and waxing the car the chips are filled nicely, I was surprised at the color, as I used a kit on another car (not Dr. Chip) and the color and coverage was really awful.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:54 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

You got some great advice here. I was very frustrated with it but the trick is to let it dry a long time and then plenty of practice with the blending solution. The little blending cloth can scratch a little too, but if you wait a few hours after blending away you can then polish with random orbital and the fix most of the time will not return.

I have some pretty nasty scratches on the back bumper and will be getting a re-spray touch up but after several passes and polishing I'm not in such a hurry to get a re-spray done.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Dr. Chip questions