Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 manual pricing getting out of hand....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017 | 01:01 AM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by JWYR
To a point. If it is just about driving and not collecting, there will be consideration for the 997.1. If one can buy a 997.1 for low 30s and have a 4.0 build for 25k, for a driver, that might look more attractive than buying into the inflated 997.2 MT prices that a cult following brings.
Works for me! Mines faster and sounds better than a .2 and no more scoring worries
Old 06-03-2017 | 09:23 AM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Another data point: a Porsche dealer in Colorado just sold a GTS4 manual the same day it was listed: 12k miles, rather bland $118k build (no sport seats, no SC, no upgraded suspension or LSD), in Midnight Blue, for $83,900. It wasn't certified either. That is a nice car but I would estimate it would have sold for mid-70's a few months back.

It will be interesting to see what pricing does this winter. I may look to buy a car mid-winter and flip it come summertime, if this keeps up!

wow. or you could let an actual enthusiast just buy one and enjoy it for years rather than pull a move like that?

just my 2 cents.

This is why prices are going up on a normal non-GT car
Old 06-03-2017 | 09:47 AM
USNA12
Banned

Oh also, Porsche San Antonio has a CPO '10 6MT Basalt Black C2S with 29k miles, 1 owner, nice options. If it had a LSD and didn't have an ugly front bumper plate, it would be a great deal...IMO. so if dealerships are starting to do that, I have hope that people will be more reasonable.

SOMEONE SELL ME THEIR GTS I JUST WANT TO DESTROY ALL THE MOUNTAIN ROADS AND TRACKS...and take beautiful girls out on dates. isn't that the dream?
Old 06-03-2017 | 10:46 AM
DC911S
Drifting

LSD is a pretty rare option, its standard in the C4S. You could always get one put in, thats better than the OEM one.
Old 06-03-2017 | 11:17 AM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USNA12
Oh also, Porsche San Antonio has a CPO '10 6MT Basalt Black C2S with 29k miles, 1 owner, nice options. If it had a LSD and didn't have an ugly front bumper plate, it would be a great deal...IMO. so if dealerships are starting to do that, I have hope that people will be more reasonable.

SOMEONE SELL ME THEIR GTS I JUST WANT TO DESTROY ALL THE MOUNTAIN ROADS AND TRACKS...and take beautiful girls out on dates. isn't that the dream?
You can get the dealer to fill the license plate holes and respray the bumper. Back in 2015 that's what I had done to my CPO '09 C2S, after already putting down a deposit on the car. I knew I was going to regret having the license plate up front, so I made a call and told them I wanted that done if I was to buy the car.

The one feature the car didn't have was PCM universal audio interface and bluetooth. They wouldn't throw it in, but said they would go half on the bluetooth and UAI, which was ~$1200 out of my pocket, so I passed on that and somewhat regretted it.

If you really want a C4S and it is a good deal, I would reconsider the car and talk to dealership about getting that front bumper taken care of.
Old 06-03-2017 | 11:29 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC911S
LSD is a pretty rare option, its standard in the C4S. You could always get one put in, thats better than the OEM one.
This. That San Antonio car is very close to mine but mine has natural brown interior and 1/3 the miles.
Old 06-03-2017 | 01:18 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

wow. or you could let an actual enthusiast just buy one and enjoy it for years rather than pull a move like that?

just my 2 cents.

This is why prices are going up on a normal non-GT car
Prices are going up on non-GT cars because

1) they didn't make many manuals; PDK was the rage for awhile
2) unlike a regular car, there aren't many coming back in on trade after a few years. People like the way the 997 drives and see no reason to upgrade
3) many people are doing well with their financial situation, and owning a 3rd car, much like owning a vacation house, is a financial burden that people only make when they are doing well financially.

If I buy a nice car for less in the winter, enjoy it for 5,000 miles and then sell it in the summer, I am doing nothing different than the guy who wants to sell his car but decides to sell it in May instead of November. Or the guy who decides October isn't the best time to sell his family wakeboard boat in Maine. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I did that with BMW for years. I always tried to pick an M3 or some other performance car late fall, would drive it all winter, enjoy it, and sell it in June. I didn't make much if anything, but it was enough to have a fun car to drive and offset the costs and mileage of getting it.

If an enthusiast wanted to buy a nice 997 in the fall or winter, it wouldn't be, by definition, sitting on a dealer's lot for 2 months, priced down to wholesale. Those cars aren't given away unless nobody wants them. At that point, another dealer is more likely to get it off the wholesale board than an enthusiast. You are referring to some sort of "insider collusion" or cornering of the market, such as what happens with the limited production cars such as the 911R. I don't see any evidence of that in the 997 market. What I do see are a fairly limited number of cars coming up for sale, and combination of 1) demand exceeding supply 2) a lot of people being able to afford them. It helps that the 997.2 is still in a window where loan rates are cheap: the 997.1 is tough to get a loan on without a high interest rate, due to age.
Old 06-03-2017 | 01:34 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

I somehow doubt someone who purchased a car specifically to flip is going to drive 5k miles over the winter.
Old 06-03-2017 | 01:40 PM
USNA12
Banned

2) unlike a regular car, there aren't many coming back in on trade after a few years. People like the way the 997 drives and see no reason to upgrade
3) many people are doing well with their financial situation, and owning a 3rd car, much like owning a vacation house, is a financial burden that people only make when they are doing well financially.

If I buy a nice car for less in the winter, enjoy it for 5,000 miles and then sell it in the summer, I am doing nothing different than the guy who wants to sell his car but decides to sell it in May instead of November. Or the guy who decides October isn't the best time to sell his family wakeboard boat in Maine. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I did that with BMW for years. I always tried to pick an M3 or some other performance car late fall, would drive it all winter, enjoy it, and sell it in June. I didn't make much if anything, but it was enough to have a fun car to drive and offset the costs and mileage of getting it.

If an enthusiast wanted to buy a nice 997 in the fall or winter, it wouldn't be, by definition, sitting on a dealer's lot for 2 months, priced down to wholesale. Those cars aren't given away unless nobody wants them. At that point, another dealer is more likely to get it off the wholesale board than an enthusiast. You are referring to some sort of "insider collusion" or cornering of the market, such as what happens with the limited production cars such as the 911R. I don't see any evidence of that in the 997 market. What I do see are a fairly limited number of cars coming up for sale, and combination of 1) demand exceeding supply 2) a lot of people being able to afford them. It helps that the 997.2 is still in a window where loan rates are cheap: the 997.1 is tough to get a loan on without a high interest rate, due to age.

I understand. I was just letting off some steam because of the ridiculous prices and emails ive been exchanging with dealerships just because its summer time. In the winter, they are begging people to buy most of them.

But if you find a Basalt Black 6mt 997.2 GTS before I do...be a good dude.

To me.

Please.
Old 06-03-2017 | 02:15 PM
exploserous
Rennlist Member

I think this is the core of it: 997.2 is when PDK first came out and it was great. Between that killing orders of manual cars and the recession, there are very low numbers of 997.2 manuals, even less GTS’s and even fewer GTS’s with the exact options a picky buyer wants.

On CarGurus right now there are more GT3RS available than GTS and S combined (and one of those GTS’s is actually a GTS4 and the other is that white one no one wants).

Old 06-03-2017 | 02:18 PM
exploserous
Rennlist Member

But if you find a Basalt Black 6mt 997.2 GTS before I do...be a good dude.
I'd sell you mine, but according to folks on this forum I'm probably a no good flipper and will demand far too much money. That, or it'll have way too many miles for you.
Old 06-03-2017 | 02:24 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Part of the problem with supply ... I intend to drive mine until it has so many miles only the Porsche Museum will want it!!!

It just keeps getting better.

Then again, if anyone wants to trade their GTS ...

Edit ... If I had known how good the C4S was, I would have upped my budget for the GTS to begin with ... going on three years and still not looking. A first for me. I'm usually (used to be) looking before getting the new car into the driveway.
Old 06-03-2017 | 03:31 PM
adnan76
Instructor

The summer/winter doesn't appear to be a thing in the south. I like this car better in the winter with that cold dense air!
Old 06-03-2017 | 04:26 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Default methinks thou doth protest too much.....

not really implying anything...just like the phrase and well, perfect...

Old 06-03-2017 | 04:44 PM
NorthCoastDoug
Instructor

can't wait to see pics of this one... 11 GTS PDK in white with aero and carrera sport wheels. 35k miles.
No price yet... any guesses? I'll go with $78k

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...modelCode1=911

Quick Reply: 997.2 manual pricing getting out of hand....