Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think when a dealer "can't" give you the DME report

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:45 PM
joe_mtl
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if they didn't want to disclose for this particular vehicle or if it's common practice for them. Either way

However tempting it is to warn you guys about who wasn't willing to fully disclose info, it ultimately serves no purpose since anyone shopping for a pre-owned vehicle should be asking ALL the questions no matter which dealer. Pointing a finger at one doesn't make the others more trustworthy.

Someone PM'd me wondering if it was the same dealer he was speaking to, so for the benefit of anyone else in the same situation I'll just say they are in Ontario, Canada. ..... ok, now I may just have worried a whole bunch of folks in Ontario

I like Bruce In Philly's idea and will give PNA a buzz so they can "educate" the dealer in hopes they will better serve Porsche owners.

Thanks again for your input
Old 06-09-2017, 01:31 PM
joe_mtl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Seriously, for the benefit of all us Porsche owners, you should drop a line to Porsche North America, customer service, and let them know.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Just to keep you guys updated on things, I spoke with customer service at 1-800-Porsche.

I explained that I was shopping for a pre-owned 911 and could not get the DME report from a particular dealer when it seems to be common practice elsewhere. After (clumsily) explaining to the nice lady what a DME report is, I was told that they cannot dictate what a dealer must provide. So it's basically “to the dealer's discretion” if they provide a DME report just like they decide if they make a Car Proof report available.

She said all she could do is document the reason for my call (there is apparently someone that looks at this). I don't have any hope that anything will come of it .... after talking for a bit and telling me several times that she would document my call, she still wasn't asking about who the dealer is so, .... I asked her if she needed the name so she can "document" that too.

I finished the call by telling her that the “Porsche Experience” starts at the dealers for most folks and that they should act when that "experience" is not good.

So while the response from the dealer and Porsche customer service suck, I’m still super pumped about finding my 911
Old 06-09-2017, 02:22 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-09-2017, 02:29 PM
joe_mtl
Advanced

Originally Posted by joe_mtl

So while the response from the dealer and Porsche customer service suck, I’m still super pumped about finding my 911
Let me rephrase that ... still super pumped about the continuing search for my 911
Old 06-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_mtl
Just to keep you guys updated on things, I spoke with customer service at 1-800-Porsche.
Thanx for the feedback..... I am surprised and disappointed by hearing this.... the Dealers are pretty afraid of PCNA..... I had an issue once and they took care of it fast.... and I got a call from a regional PCNA rep.

Good luck, great cars... worth the effort.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-09-2017, 03:03 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have durametric you should take it for a test drive and just run it while you're on the test drive out of curiosity
Old 06-09-2017, 03:34 PM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

As many have stated...

You should run.

FYI-My car has an EXTREMELY colorful DME. Range 5.. and .... wait for it.... 6.

But it was long ago, and the car had been driven many-many hours and compression and bore were fine. The range 5 and 6 in my car were from a money shift done during a 1/2 mile event that the seller completely disclosed to me.

I know the purists out there still would have run, but I was buying a modded car, and intended on driving it hard. That was long ago and the car is still a beast.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't just run, I would bolt out of there.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:14 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdgamble
What dealer? Can you send a link to the car? The juvenile in me wants everyone on this board to send an email inquiry about the car expressing immediate interest and also requesting a DME report!
Im a juvenile and love participating in shennanagins.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:27 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

run, is there a link of the car? i am curious which dealership would refuse something like this?
Old 06-10-2017, 05:08 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
Coincidentally, if a dealer tells me "Sorry, I dont have a paint meter" - thats another reason to walk in my book. Im shopping for a car too and these two questions come up pretty close to the start of any conversation.
Many dealers don't have a paint meter. specially small dealers.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:39 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
If you have durametric you should take it for a test drive and just run it while you're on the test drive out of curiosity
Only do this with the Durametric Pro version on a car you do not own. The Pro version has unlimited VIN usage but comes at a much higher price.

Yes the Enthusiast version can pull the DME report, but the Enthusiast version is VIN locked to 3 cars max. Once the Enthusiast version is connected to a car, it uses up one of the three VIN's. After all three are used up it will not connect to any additional cars. Plus the resale value of the cable drops significantly every time you use up a VIN, going to zero when all three are used up.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:34 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Rusnak in TO is my backyard dealer...although I have an Indy, I wouldn't hesitate in brining my car there for anything my Indy couldn't do.

Their top salesman is Carl Bell....an ex local weatherman and Porsche enthusiasts, PCA member, and most importantly, comes to the PCA events with something really nice to sell!

The shady dealers give the good ones a bad rep....but word of mouth from a good source based on real experience is the best advertising.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:40 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Let me break it down for you:

The dealer obviously wants to sell you the car for the highest amount possible.

So, if the DME report contained information that they know you would like, they would gladly show it to you. Here you go, Mr. Jones, a sparkling clean report, shall we draw up the invoice?

Whereas, if the DME report contained information that would cause you to run away in an instant, why on earth would they show it to you? The fact that you are asking for the DME report implies that you know (or could learn) how to interpret it, and that you care about overrevs.

So, the fact that they aren't showing it to you basically gives you as the same information as if you had a copy in your hands.

Last edited by gasongasoff; 06-11-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: What do you think when a dealer "can't" give you the DME report